Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Show me your shell!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #41
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Lets me camp in it, in bear country (there are specific signs that say you need a hard shell to camp, and not a tent in certain areas).
So who do you think would still camp there, a Tacoma driver or a Frontier driver?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #42
Senior Citizen
Oscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of lightOscar 319 is a glorious beacon of light

Oscar 319's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboat haulin taco View Post

Thanks for the link. I think Cabelas is selling for the same price, and I have one a stones throw away from my house (I know, that sucks). Hell, if the Leer dealer will through one in for around $400, I let them do it and save me the work.....but not now....the shell put me in the hole for a while. But they are damn sweet though.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #43
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
So who do you think would still camp there, a Tacoma driver or a Frontier driver?

Timothy Treadwell, star of his own bear movie and now bear food.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg5jD...eature=related
Old 08-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #44
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery

Here's a picture of the slider on a LEER 100R. I wish the window lined up with the trucks window better (the previous 100R's I've owned on other trucks did). Other than that, it's great.

Mike
Old 08-31-2008, 06:33 PM   #45
pucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of lightpucksniper is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 11b infantry
pucksniper's Tacoma Gallery
that looks great !!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #46
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
i hate to spoil this but what exactly is the purpose of a shell cover??
If you live in the people's republic of Kalifornia, it'll get you a discount on your registration. Pickup trucks get charged commercial rates out here. The politicians say they won't repeal it because trucks carry things and it's hard on the road. Of course, a Ford Expedition is not hard on the road because it's an SUV and not a pickup. The exception is if you have a shell on your truck (it's written in the law). You can then register it as a standard non-commercial vehicle. Apparently, your truck doesn't harm the roads if you put a shell on the back. Tonneau covers don't count.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:00 PM   #47
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Those are great looking covers. I didn't realize they were that inexpensive ($1000). Seems like a good deal.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #48
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
The Leer 100R is a great shell . Holds up really well............Rich
Old 08-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #49

Rob where do I find on the DMV page the less expensive truck registration? I have a shell, that I keep on and I just registered my Tacoma , and have my Ranger up for it in two months.....Rich
Old 08-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Swanner View Post
Rob where do I find on the DMV page the less expensive truck registration? I have a shell, that I keep on and I just registered my Tacoma , and have my Ranger up for it in two months.....Rich
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch09.pdf

Here's the info. The part concerning a shell is in section 9.065. Take the truck into the DMV and tell them your truck has a camper shell permanently attatched (they may want to look at it). I think to be considered permanently attached it has to be bolted on (not just clamps but I'm not certain of that). Note that if you run the truck without the shell it'd be a moving violation if someone noticed. When you sell the vehicle, you have to include the shell. It drops the weight fees of commercial vehicles so the heavier the truck, the more you'll save on your registration. You'll also get issued new plates (residential plates have #AAA### whereas trucks are #A#####).
Old 08-31-2008, 11:55 PM   #51

I always keep the shell on. I did sell my other Ranger with it's shell so this would be Cool, because I have a Ranger and a PreRunner. That should be $160-200 between them thanks.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #52
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

mvega1969's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to mvega1969
Details of this CAP on my signature.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Swanner View Post
I always keep the shell on. I did sell my other Ranger with it's shell so this would be Cool, because I have a Ranger and a PreRunner. That should be $160-200 between them thanks.
I see a lot of trucks with shells on that have commercial plates (you can tell from the number format I posted above), so pass it around. I've thought about getting some business cards with a web address to that information and placing it on windshields as I notice them. California gets enough of our tax money. When you get it done, let us know how much you saved.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #54
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
MVEGA:

Your cap looks nice. I like how most of the makers of caps have a line that has the most modern and rounded and flush windows. Like the fact that they're evolving too.

Not like your daddy's truck cap of old with paneling, corrugated aluminum on the outside and a vent at the top. ha ha ha Remember those. Very quaint.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #55
VIPER131 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AZ ANG
VIPER131's Tacoma Gallery
Cool The Leer M180 is a great shell as well!!!

I bought the Leer M180 -- with the Sportsman package. It is nice as well. Good Luck!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #56
mvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud ofmvega1969 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
MVEGA:

Your cap looks nice. I like how most of the makers of caps have a line that has the most modern and rounded and flush windows. Like the fact that they're evolving too.

Not like your daddy's truck cap of old with paneling, corrugated aluminum on the outside and a vent at the top. ha ha ha Remember those. Very quaint.

I still have seen those on our "paisanos" or on old F150's, even the cap is longer than the bed... but it is finally to cover all bed... and beyond.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER131 View Post

I bought the Leer M180 -- with the Sportsman package. It is nice as well. Good Luck!!!

I like a lot the look of your setup... and do you kayak, fish, hunt, bike or anything in between?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #58
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
Just bought a LEER 100R for my 06 access cab. Had 100R's on two previous trucks, never had a complaint. Ordered this one with the headliner (it's nice for "truck camping" and reduces road noise for the dog) and a sliding front window. My only (minor) complaint is that the slider on the topper doesn't match the slider on the truck - I'll take a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean. Other than that, it's great.

Mike

Is your slider single pane or double? They may have installed the wrong slider on your cap. Someone may have goofed at the plant, the 1st gen tacos get a double pane slider, you need the single pane slider.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #59
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is your slider single pane or double? They may have installed the wrong slider on your cap. Someone may have goofed at the plant, the 1st gen tacos get a double pane slider, you need the single pane slider.
The cap does have a double pane slider. Hmmm.... Guess I'll have to decide`if it's worth the hassle.

Mike
Old 09-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #60
chris L will become famous soon enough

Army: tank driver 4bn 69th Armor
chris L's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 100R with side doors and the front pass through window rack on top . cost 1700 or so for my 2006 .
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your shell!-dcp_0341.jpg  

Products Discussed in this Thread