Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Show me your shell!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #1481
blm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blm's Tacoma Gallery
Looked for about a month for a matching cap for my 13. Found a couple caps that would fit (need one for 05-13) but not a color match. Ordered an ARE cap style CX with the roof rack and drop down front window. $1,750.00 plus tax. One caution I would give anyone shopping for a new cap is ask up front about the dealer honoring the coupons offered by the manufacturer. I had a valid $50.00 off coupon from the manufacturer and the dealer wouldn't honor it. Kinda felt like I got the shaft on the deal but if I wanted the cap I had to pay. Would have much rather found a used one that matched my truck. If you buy a new cap and then find out you don't want it you would be lucky to sell at 50% of what you paid for it. Let it get 3 years old or so and you will be selling at 25% of what you paid.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #1482
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Got my Leer aluminum shell last week. Not the most attractive and not much cheaper than fiberglass. BUT, it only weighs about 75 lbs and I can take it off by myself and store it outside without it getting effed up. I got a 4'x6' recycled rubber doormat from Home Depot for 30 bucks and made a bedliner so the doggies won't slide around back there
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your shell!-7-22-13-026.jpg   Show me your shell!-7-22-13-030.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #1484
cbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbr04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
cbr04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurpranger View Post
Leer 100R

I am pretty sure I've seen this truck around ATL a few times. Very nice.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #1486
zonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zonataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurpranger View Post
Leer 100R

Damn nice truck!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #1487
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
I wish I could find a deal on one but I don't see that happening anytime soon...

So... I think I've decided on the Leer 100XR. (Quoted $1880 w/tax)

Options are:
-Keyless entry
-carpet lining
-side sliding windows w/pet screens
-front sliding window
-Thule Track

I will be using it primarily in winter for gear and the pooch and will most likely be adding my Thule box to the roof.

Thought about doing the 100RCC because then I have the option of doing a roof top tent but I'm not sure ill ever get it. I also like the keyless entry option and the price point on the XR. Looking to purchase within the next few months for fall and winter. Read through the thread and got some good info. Hopefully I'll be posting up some pics soon!

Please comment on the proposed set-up, what you would change and the price.
Maybe look at a Leer 180 or 122 to get that extra interior room. Then, you buy a shell tent, Cabela's has a good selection.

Certainly get the carpet headliner (prevents condensation from forming on the roof) and the front slider or a boot.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #1488
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at a used Century Ultra shell online that has sliding side windows, bug screens, LED brake and interior lights, and double locking handles on the back window.

Can anyone comment on the looks or reliability of the Century Ultra shells? Any pics?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #1489
blm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shedblm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
blm's Tacoma Gallery
Well you don't say whether or not you are looking at new or used. If you are looking at used at it is spot on fit and matches your color then it would be a matter of condition/age & price. If you found a match and the price is good then might not want to let it slip away.
If you are talking new I can only tell you what I found during my recent research. Evidently Century was purchased by Leer in the fairly recent past. I have found several instances where there were problems with leaking/etc on Leer caps and more than one instance where cooperation with the Leer corp was difficult. Century caps are cheaper by a few hundred dollars than a Leer or ARE. I contacted two of the dealers Century had listed in my area. One said they had quit selling Century due to so many problems with them.The other said they still sell Century but only have sold two Century caps in the past three years. They were pushing the Jason brand. In addition I found one thread (can't remember where I saw the thread) where the poster had searched extensively for used caps. He commented that most of the used Leer caps he had seen were faded. If Leer and Century are the same I assume one could group Century into that statement. If one is buying a $300.00 cap then maybe some of these issues may not be important. However if one is spending $1K or more on a cap I would think these things would be a concern.

Sorry,just reread your post and saw where you are looking at used.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #1491
zonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedzonataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
zonataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLevasseur View Post
What make/model?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #1492
Sig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSig45 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Sig45's Tacoma Gallery
Leer - 180

Being a DC - Short Bed, the extra headroom is welcomed and the extra height of the shell prevents the bow of my canoes from hitting the truck cab roof!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #1493
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention/ask was... Has anyone done a lift hoist mount on the roof?

I thought it would be convenient and easy if i had 4 eye bolts attached to the roof so I just pull in the garage, attach it and use my pulleys to raise and lower it. I like the idea for quick and easy changes so if I need to haul stuff (in my huge long bed) I can just pop it off.

Be nice if dealer would offer this so it would be covered under warranty...
Anybody?... Interested to know if it could/has been done.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #1494
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
ive see several home built hoists here on TW... people have rigged up ropes, and hooks.. so it can be done.. but thats all I know.
for what its worth, some of the caps will need the seal replaced if you take it on and off alot.
Yeah I searched and did find some great ideas but thought the use of an integrated hook/eye on four corners of the roof would be a quicker, easier clean way to hook it up.

Interesting about the seals... I'm almost 100% going with the Leer. XR or the 100RCC. Love the idea of a roof top tent but wow between the extra money for the shell and then the tent.... That's some coin.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #1495
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
Just got an ARE, so far I like it...seams to fit snug.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #1496
Sleepy Stevie
sleeper210 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steven
sleeper210's Tacoma Gallery
ARE Z-Series Camper

Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #1497
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper210 View Post

Very nice! Looks sick! Are side sliders an option with the Z series? I need lots of airflow for the puppy.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #1498
rhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Robert
rhowell's Tacoma Gallery
Just got it back yesterday.

Just got it back yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your shell!-20130731_195142.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1499
I'd rather be skiing...

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhowell View Post
Just got it back yesterday
Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #1500
white08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nicewhite08gt is just really nice
Air Force: recip engine mechanic
Name: Al
white08gt's Tacoma Gallery
here is mine A.R.E MX Show me your shell!-p9240026.jpg

Products Discussed in this Thread