Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Show me your shell!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #1861
craigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant futurecraigb has a brilliant future
Name: Craig
craigb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBSoCal View Post
I had a pop-n-lock, but I also got a shell with a lock tied into truck's keyless entry. After about a year I realized I hadn't been locking the tailgate. With the Leer's I can't get the tailgate open, but with the tailgate unlocked it moves a bit when you try. I suppose someone might conclude that if the tailgate moves a little, they can force it open.

However, on the Leer XQ (previous truck) or XL (this truck) there is nothing to grab on the shell - just a little flat piece of plastic that twists. No handles.

So, I suppose someone COULD force the tailgate open. But they could use a crowbar on the shell, too. The shell with a glass door is still limited security.

But I feel the same way about convertibles. Then again, my friends who have had convertibles broken into didn't have someone take a knife to the soft top. They just broke the passenger window.

A Tonneau cover that locks is going to be more secure than any shell with windows I'm afraid.
Well , I guess they could take a cordless drill and drill out the lock. The only way you will be fully secured is to not put anything in it. I guess you then don't need a topper. This is why you buy insurance, check with your auto insurance and see what is covered. Nothing is secured if someone really wants something.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #1862
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, wrong wording haha. basically looking for your experience with the CX series cap. I'm leaning toward this one but can't find too many reviews. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlife View Post
I went to Topper World...
Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #1863
Oceanlife is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Chief
Oceanlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
Sorry, wrong wording haha. basically looking for your experience with the CX series cap. I'm leaning toward this one but can't find too many reviews. Thanks
So far so good. Little leaks in the front left and right corners where the forward part of the bed meets the side so going to put some rtf in there to stop it. The back end has a tiny spacing between the rear window and sides of shell but i think that is normal on most shells.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #1864
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I'm pretty set on getting the CX series with windoor's, pet screens, and sliding tilt down window

But its still a tough decision because I can get the V series for $250 cheaper...
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #1865
Savis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Fed Fire
Savis's Tacoma Gallery
Question

I have a question, I'm getting a shell for my 09 double cab, do I have to take the side plastic rails off my truck before installation? They are the rails that came on the truck from the factory. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #1866
TOYWERX Grill Sargent
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savis View Post
I have a question, I'm getting a shell for my 09 double cab, do I have to take the side plastic rails off my truck before installation? They are the rails that came on the truck from the factory. Any information would be appreciated.
From what I've seen most shells are designed to be installed on top of the plastic bed rails. My Leer is.

I think you'd see a lot more bed rails f/s on TW if you had to take them off for a topper.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #1867
Savis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Fed Fire
Savis's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info HomerTaco.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #1868
DonNH is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
DonNH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
From what I've seen most shells are designed to be installed on top of the plastic bed rails. My Leer is.

I think you'd see a lot more bed rails f/s on TW if you had to take them off for a topper.
My Leer should be here in a couple weeks. I wonder a bit if the weight of the shell will cause the rails to rub the paint off the bed itself- especially at the sharp outer edge. Has anyone seen this?
Also, the side rails sit about 1/2" higher than the front of the bed. Does Leer account for this in the cap design or do I need to make sure the installer uses appropriate thickness seal material and is careful with corner details to avoid leaks?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #1869
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNH View Post
My Leer should be here in a couple weeks. I wonder a bit if the weight of the shell will cause the rails to rub the paint off the bed itself- especially at the sharp outer edge. Has anyone seen this?

Also, the side rails sit about 1/2" higher than the front of the bed. Does Leer account for this in the cap design or do I need to make sure the installer uses appropriate thickness seal material and is careful with corner details to avoid leaks?

You need to double up on the cap tape at the front
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #1870
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Kept mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savis View Post
My Leer sits right on top of those plastic bed rail covers. This is a big improvement over my 1st gen. For that truck, they trimmed the top of the bed liner to seat the shell on. It was only then that we realized that the paint had been rubbed off, so my generally clean bedside had 1/2" with the paint rubbed off right under the lip of the shell.

But on the 2nd gen, it sits on top of those. Even if the shell damaged them, if you wanted to, you could put on new ones if you took the shell off permanently.

The shell actually locked into the tie-down rails. They just asked me where I wanted the tie-downs first before they installed the shell, as you can't easily move them around after the install.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:07 PM   #1871
Rhum.
RugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRugbyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT-B
Name: Paul
RugbyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered a Leer 100XR with removable front slider. 1675 installed. be here next week then, PICS!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #1873

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #1874
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyTaco View Post
Just ordered a Leer 100XR with removable front slider. 1675 installed. be here next week then, PICS!
haha...sig pic....CHECK IT OUT!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #1875
Strydersound is on a distinguished road
Strydersound's Tacoma Gallery
Just had a Leer 100XR put on today. Taking it back tomorrow as the interior light doesn't work and the door doesn't close correctly. There is a gap big enough to put a finger through the door on the cap. Anyone else have any fit issues?
Old 03-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #1876
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strydersound View Post
Just had a Leer 100XR put on today. Taking it back tomorrow as the interior light doesn't work and the door doesn't close correctly. There is a gap big enough to put a finger through the door on the cap. Anyone else have any fit issues?

On the side or at the bottom of the door ?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #1877
UrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant futureUrPebkac has a brilliant future
Name: David
UrPebkac's Tacoma Gallery
So far love mine. $500 find on CL. It's an ARE. Not color matched but I can paint it in the future.

Added bed light to it.

Superbrightleds 2x 24", 1x 12",

Snagged the idea from here. http://www.f150forum.com/f83/led-bed...r-pics-118204/
Old 03-15-2014, 03:18 AM   #1878
Drew599 is on a distinguished road
Drew599's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a couple pics of my A.R.E. Z series out and about.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #1879
Strydersound is on a distinguished road
Strydersound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
On the side or at the bottom of the door ?
Bottom corners of the door. The glass seems to not seal properly and it leaves a big gap on both corners. The whole thing seems to not for as nicely as I expected to get for almost $2k.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #1880

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great! Got a great deal too. I wouldn't even color match that, looks nice that way

Products Discussed in this Thread