Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Steering Issue with a 2011 Trd Double Cab

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
wildtrt is on a distinguished road
wildtrt's Tacoma Gallery
Steering Issue with a 2011 Trd Double Cab

Hi Guys just bought a 2011 TRD Double cab. It has the TxPro package on it. It's great but I have a weird steering issue. When I am on rough terrain like the road I live on the steering feels real loose on the bumps. Almost feels like it disconnects or something. Also when I shift into 4h there is a loud 'clunk". Dealer said that this is a break in situation. I can buy that w the 4 wheel but the steering is just plain funky.
Any body have any experience with this?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You should let off the gas before shifting in 4wd and you should not be turning.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
T-SB-0119-10

give me a minute and ill pull it off alldata. i just dropped mine off to get replaced tomorrow
Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 2011 DC sport and no problems with the wheel on or off the road. could either by just a bug with yours or something up with that package. never driven one so i dunno
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-SB-0119-10
Rev1
May 3, 2010
Steering Intermediate Shaft Rattle Noise
Service Category
Steering

Section
Steering Gear/Linkage

Market
USA

Applicability
TSB REVISION NOTICE
May 26, 2010 Rev1:
^The Op Code has been corrected in the Warranty Information table.

Any previous printed versions of this service bulletin should be discarded.
Introduction
Some 2005 - 2010 model year 4WD Tacoma and 2WD Tacoma PreRunner vehicles may exhibit steering rattle noise when driven over rough road surfaces. A newly designed steering intermediate shaft has been made available for service to address this condition.

Warranty Information
APPLICABLE WARRANTY
^This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
^Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #6

Repair Procedure
Note
Prior to removing the steering intermediate shaft, make sure the steering wheel and front wheels are straight and remain stationary. Once the intermediate shaft is removed, do NOT allow the steering wheel to spin freely. Use a steering wheel holder to keep the steering wheel from turning.
1.Install a steering wheel holder.

2.Remove the steering column hole cover by disengaging the 4 clips.

3.Put matchmarks on the intermediate shaft.

4.Remove the one bolt that attaches the intermediate shaft to the steering column and discard the bolt.

5.Access the intermediate shaft from the driver's side engine cover and remove the 2 clips that hold the engine cover.

6.Put matchmarks on the intermediate shaft as shown.

7.Remove the upper bolt that attaches the intermediate shaft No.1 to the intermediate shaft No.2.
Loosen the lower bolt then slide the shaft up and out.

8.Place matchmarks on the NEW intermediate shaft.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
wildtrt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks appreciate the advise.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
wildtrt's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you so much. I knew it was a little to funky to be normal. I'm taking it in tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

No prob. At first the serv rep told me it would go away when leaf spring was added. I laughed out loud and told him nope it doesnt work that way. Explained nicely how rag joint/intermediate shaft worked and then pulled out all 8 pages of tsb. He walked away nicely after ordering new shaft. Parts installing tomorrow. Ill let you know new feel after i get it home, the long off road way home
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
wildtrt's Tacoma Gallery
Thats great, good call having the TSB with you. I'll have it with me tomorrow also. Def. let me know how it turns out. I am sure I have the same situation.