Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark plugs?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
Spark plugs?

My truck's gas milage has really dropped off lately and the last couple of days it has gotten harder to start. Anyone think it could be the spark plugs? If so, are NGK's from advanced a good may to go at 4.99 each or is there a better/cheaper option. I run NGK in my Motocross bikes so just wasn't sure what you guys think about them in our Tacomas. Can get denso's for 2.99 but not sure I want to go that cheap.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
get the OE toyota ones
Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Don't have a dealer within 60 miles and how much are they?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
Don't have a dealer within 60 miles and how much are they?
not sure lemme check
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I thought NGK and Denso Coppers were stock anyways? NGK on one side, Denso on the other... LoL
Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...e-1-gr-fe.html
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
get the OE toyota ones

Toyota uses both NBK and Denso's on the Tacoma.

These can be purchased at any auto parts store...unless you are ok with getting ass raped by buying your plugs from a dealer when it's the same damn plug.

I opted to replace all six with Denso's as they were a little cheaper than NGK at Advance Auto Parts.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Toyota uses both NBK and Denso's on the Tacoma.

These can be purchased at any auto parts store...unless you are ok with getting ass raped by buying your plugs from a dealer when it's the same damn plug.

I opted to replace all six with Denso's as they were a little cheaper than NGK at Advance Auto Parts.
i got mine for 3.25 each so i really dont think i got ass raped.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i got mine for 3.25 each so i really dont think i got ass raped.
Thats a pretty good deal. From what I have heard people are paying a lot more than 3.25 per plug at the dealer. I can't remember exactly what I paid for the Densos but I recall it being in the $3-4 range.

I used to run NGK's in my turbo accord BKR7E's they were a good plug and cheap too.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Thanks for the link. Helps a lot
Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
Thanks for the link. Helps a lot
no problemo
Old 01-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #12

Do you think that my hard starting lately could be partially because of my plugs?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
bmwtech330 is on a distinguished road
bmwtech330's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say for sure that the plugs are the culprit of the long crank condition. But i changed plugs on a 2007 tacoma 4.0 that had 60k on the original plugs. Before I changed them it would crank and crank before it would start, after I replaced all 6 plugs with OEM plugs the truck started right up. The service interval is 30k I think, so what could it hurt? Its easy and cheap.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
My Denso's were in way better shape than my NGK's were. I recommend the Denso's...
Attached Thumbnails
Spark plugs?-img00122-20101008-1628.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
My Denso's were in way better shape than my NGK's were. I recommend the Denso's...
my NGK's were in better shape then my Denso's. my NGK's also held their gap better, the Denso's were way off.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #16
judd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant futurejudd94 has a brilliant future
EMS:
judd94's Tacoma Gallery
Gas mileage sucks in the winter for everybody due to wonder winter gas. Its a different mixture and you'll notice a slight difference in performance. That could be your problem
Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
my NGK's were in better shape then my Denso's. my NGK's also held their gap better, the Denso's were way off.
Interesting. Thats the first I have heard of this. All the 1GR's I have swapped the plugs on, All of them had the NGK's WAY out of spec, while the Denso's were in spec.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Interesting. Thats the first I have heard of this. All the 1GR's I have swapped the plugs on, All of them had the NGK's WAY out of spec, while the Denso's were in spec.
ready for mine on saturday?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ready for mine on saturday?
Sure.....right after I finish the 2 trucks that need to be lifted.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
i just re-checked my old plugs and your right, the Denso's did hold a better gap. i must of got them mixed up. the Denso's were at .044 and the NGK's were all the way at .054 . the plugs had 68,000 miles on them