1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rsbmg, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jan 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    Greetings, first post.

I had a 01 Tacoma 4wd which went away several years ago. I know have a 06 Jeep LJ. Thinking about possibly coming back to Tacoma or going with a new Jeep JK.

I will be using this offroad mostly desert and camping. I like to go fast but also like more technical climbs.

A couple questions which Im a little confused about and I have not been able to 100% clear up through search.

1. Looking at a 2011 Tacoma 4wd Doublecab I'm leaning towards the long bed any reason to conside the short bed?

2. I dont mind making modifications or paying to have them done so with that in mind advantages/disadvantages to going with the TRD sport or just get a lesser package and make my own mods.

3. Can a front locker be installed in the Tacoma?

Thanks for the help!

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I own a double cab long bed.... its VERY long. Even with 33's I couldn't climb a hill that stock jeeps were going over. I bottomed out.... Not to greatest vehicle for clearance but they sure look a hell of a lot better. Also, without the long bed, I would have never moved half the furniture I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I think that was true of the 2010 models but the 2011 longbeds are being offered with the trd sport package. I think a few folks on the forums here have them as well.

Thanks for the info though all opinions are welcome!

4. Jan 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Sadly this may make me stay with the jeep:(

5. Jan 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

I'm sure 35's would have cleared :) If I had sliders I probably wouldn't have cared, but I didn't want to shear the bolts off the frame. If you're looking for something to climb and crawl, you should get the single cab short bed anyways, much shorter wheelbase, only downside is the 4 cylinder, but from what I hear its still plenty of power.

6. Jan 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Geez! Either a double cab longbed, or a jeep??

Yes it is no surprise that one of these is much longer, and with worse approach, departure, and breakover angles than the other.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    This is straight off toyota.com unless there is some ofther offroad package I dont know about.

TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package: Off-road-tuned Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, Locking Rear Differential, 16" Alloy Wheels with P265/70R16 BF Goodrich Tires, VSC [4]+ATRAC in place of Standard VSC [4]+TRAC (4X4 models only) with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [5] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [5] (HAC & DAC available on 4X4 Automatic Transmission models only), Engine Skid Plate, Front Tow Hook, 115V/400W Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Power Outside Mirrors (Access Cab models only), Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Variable-Speed Wipers, Overhead Console with Compass & Temperature Gauge, Chrome Grille Surround & Rear Bumper, Color-Keyed Front Bumper & Overfenders, Smoked Headlamp Trim, Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, Sport Seats with Driver Lumbar Support and Sport Fabric Trim in place of Standard Bucket Seats (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls & Leather-Wrapped Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors & Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], TRD Off-Road Graphics

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Also I am fully aware of the differences between a jeep and tacoma I have owened both. I had some specific questions none of which asked for comments about comparing the two. Thanks anyway.

9. Jan 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    I went from a DECKED out 05 Jeep Rubicon to a 2011 Double Cab Shortbed TRD Offroad.
    [​IMG]

There are things I miss about the Jeep, had alot of good times and memories in it for sure.
    But dont hesitate for a second to get the Yota. No, it wont go where my Jeep went, but it will go where my Jeep would when it was stock. The traction control systems are VERY good, I am amazed how stupid I can act on the snow covered streets, and it just keeps everything in control. Even more fun with it off though ;)
    I say go for the TRD Offroad package. Besides maybe a lift and larger tires if you want, I cant see you ever needing more than it has builtin.
    Once you learn and know when and how to use all the traction modes, A-TRAC and Locker, it will go anywhere you want it to.
    It will run circles around my Jeep on icy snow covered roads.
    The TRD Sport can be had in a long bed, the Offroad only comes in the shortbed.
    I test drove both, the long bed isnt bad, but the short bed was alot more fun to drive, ore nimble, and is gonna be alot better offraod.

I am VERY impressed with the Yota, its just SOOO much more overal vehical than my Jeep was. Better handling, speed, creature comforts.
    I have test drove the JKs also, they are TURDS compared to the Yota as far as power goes.
    The 6 speeds are not bad, tolerable, the autos are TURDS.

For me it came down to a fun daily driver, that had good power, could haul passengers, and was functional and practical. The Yota won hands down.
    ~John

10. Jan 27, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    John thanks for the info its a tough decision for sure. I have pretty much decided if I go Tacoma I'm going with the short bed for sure.

So with that in mind I have read mixed reviews on paying the money for the trd stuff or saving the cash and putting it towards aftermarket stuff. I am the type of person who is regularly pretty hard on vehicles especially offroad. Not to say I am stupid about it but I will put a vehicle through its paces.

In addtion I have many years offroad and this hill assist a-trac stuff doesn't sound like something I need but I have never used it either so there is something to be said for ignorance.

11. Jan 27, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    The TRD Off-Road with ATRAC in the new models makes a pretty big diffrence. I used to hate on it but now that I've used it a lot more... it's great. Honestly ATRAC front and locked rear is almost near having a front and rear lock. My truck is stock except allpro skids and bumper up front... and it's yet to let me down anywhere.

Difference between atrac and no atrac. Keep in mind, I have the stock horrible tires too.

No ATRAC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvvjIXNzg0Q

ATRAC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XSex-mCl3I&feature=related

As for the short bed vs long (since long isn't avail in offroad as stated)... I've had both. My 08 Access was the long bed and yea, it was nice. Though honestly I've yet to find anything I can't haul of normal household moving stuff with my short bed. I just throw the bed down and tie it around the back to the d-rings and it's fine... even if it's a few feet over. If I absolutely need more room, I'd just pick up a uhaul for $30 for the day.... but I haven't had to do that minus hauling more stuff than my long bed ever could have on it's own anyway.

Honestly aside from clearance issues (my armor brought the front way down on stock trd suspension)... I've been able to run every trail I've hit thus far. Granted I'm not going to do anything real extreme with a $30k truck anyway... but the thing is a beast. So long story short.. TRD Sport isn't really worth the cash it's all anesthetic for the most part. The TRD Off-Road is useful however...

12. Jan 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    Well, here is my experience with it...

I had lockers front and rear in the Jeep, so here is a comparison of them to the A-TRAC in the Yota.
    Lockers are a must for any real offroading, I am sure you ran into that at times. But, Locking the Jeep front and rear make it hard to steer, sure I could turn the wheel, but the Jeep would fight it.
    There were also times it seemed to CAUSE tires to slip, just kinda make the jeep try to slide oddly.
    The A-TRAC is a bit different. No it wont just spin all 4 wheels like true lockers, but its close. They were kinda take turns locking up and trying to find traction. I noticed more than one, that was actually better, it kept the truck in place, and kept steering more precise.
    So each has its advantages, I wouldnt call anything the Yota does as far as traction control or down hill decent as smooth, its actually pretty violent at times.
    On rocks, I can see true lockers crawling SLOW better, you have to give the Yota a bit of gas at times to get it to realize its slipping, and so it has the torque needed to get one wheel locked up with the brake, and the power to transfer.

I am surprised how much my Automatic in low range 2nd and 1st gear will hold the truck back going down hill. Not like my Jeep, but not bad at all.
    But, if I am having to use the brakes alot, I have found that using the down hill control will keep the truck where I want it more, again its doing a great job of keeping the tires from slipping, so the truck stays where you point it, the ass end doesnt try to come around.
    But, its violent, not smooth at all. It will growl, almost feel like its slamming on the brakes at times, its not a steady smooth decent.

Now, all that being said.... (this may not apply to you being in CA)
    I love to play in the snow, and generally have not liked any traction control in a vehilcle.
    Well, I LOVE it in the Yota.
    In full auto traction mode its amazing how stable it keeps the truck, how it keeps you in check. You can literally be going around a turn and STOMP the gas, it will step out a bit, and then kick in, locking the truck down, grabbing traction and limiting the throttle.
    LSD mode is similar, but lets you get on it alot more, and step the ass end out alot more before it takes over.
    Both are a blast, you can act REALLY stupid, and it keeps you under control.
    Its great that you can turn it all OFF also, and just go nuts.
    All in all i love the options, and it makes me feel alot safer in the snow while I am driving faster than I should lol.

This is a bad example, cus it was too slick and I didnt make it though the muggles at the end, but still, it gives you an idea of what the system is trying to do in A-TRAC
    Look at what the front wheels are trying to do, to find traction.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUvDXdnXjF8

~John

13. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    rawdogie

rawdogie Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I TOO had a 06 LJ!!!!

I test drove the 4 door JK but the throttle response was horrible and moved like a slug. I wasnt offroading too much anymore and wanted something i felt safe in on the highway. Eventually i chose the Tacoma.

I will go with a JK as soon as they put the Pentastar V6 in. I couldnt wait.

14. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Good stuff, so is the rear locker a true locker? Locks the wheels full time or is still self regulating like the front?

15. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    Perhaps the OP could post what type of wheeling he plans to do (or wants to do) or even consult his area/regional forum/threads.

Wheeling can require different priorities depending on where you do it, in my opinion.

For example, many of the guys in the deep south where I live now need to spend more on lifts and clearance for wide agressive mud tires while folks up in the rocky hills prioritize heavy duty skids and can go with a "budget boost" type lift to start. Different slightly still are the guys who run sand all the time.

Granted these differences can be minor, but if you're wanting to keep the truck mostly stock (and I think that's a very good idea) and save money, consider the most practical mods for your area.

My $.02. (FWIW, my money is on sliders and armor before anything else, with minor suspension mods to account for their additional weight, but as a new owner I do not know how well the original tires will do, so maybe for you they have to come off as well)

16. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm See I am thinking I may be happier installing arb's front and rear vs. going with the factory stuff. May have to do a bit more research here.

17. Jan 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    ATRAC works on front and rear. However there is the e-locker that will fully lock the rear. Once it's engauged it's just as good as any other locker tbh. The only true advantage to the ARB is you can engage it virtually any speed (dangerous as that can be though)... and you'll be forced to install onboard air. Honestly I rather prefer the e-locker myself. I used to run my prerunner at 70mph in washes locked just fine.

You can modify the engagement to have the e-locker work in 4-hi/2-hi as well... just requires a quick wire mod. (which I will be doing)

18. Jan 27, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    rsbmg

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    I found a couple good threads on here reference the locker situation and it appears most are in favor of the A-trac e-locker over locking the front and rear. Lots of valid points brought up.

Products Discussed in

To Top