Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Questions about wheels and tires

Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
LewisRacing is on a distinguished road
Name: Herbert
LewisRacing's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about wheels and tires

ok guys,, yall helped me around xmas with my son's lift for his 07 Tacomo TRD off road, crew cab. We finally found time to get it on over the weekend. It went pretty smooth. We ended up with about 3.5" in the front and about 2.75 " in the rear. Now its time for tires. He was looking at a 305/70-16. So my question is what size tire is that? or will that lift take bigger? Also he wants the wheel to be kinda wide and stick out pass the fenders some. any ideas on a width of wheel and maybe what back space he needs? thanks a lot guys. Herb
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
That tire is 33" x 12.2". It is pretty wide compared to most tires guys are running on 3" lifts. The wheel should be 4.5"-4" backspacing to help prevent rubbing. Even with that, some rubbing may occur depending on the lift. The cab mounts may need to be cut away and some fender trimming may need to be done in certain areas. Most guys run 285/75/16 which is almost an inch narrower so they dont have to worry about rubbing issues and they dont stick out as far.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
i would stick with 285/75 as Erik said. you'll need to do a fair amount of trimming as it is
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
LewisRacing is on a distinguished road
Name: Herbert
LewisRacing's Tacoma Gallery
ok,, but the 285/ 75 seem kinda small. what size is stock so i can compare the 285 to a stock tire.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

285 is 33" .. they're huge compared to stock. stock is 265/70
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisRacing View Post
ok guys,, yall helped me around xmas with my son's lift for his 07 Tacomo TRD off road, crew cab. We finally found time to get it on over the weekend. It went pretty smooth. We ended up with about 3.5" in the front and about 2.75 " in the rear. Now its time for tires. He was looking at a 305/70-16. So my question is what size tire is that? or will that lift take bigger? Also he wants the wheel to be kinda wide and stick out pass the fenders some. any ideas on a width of wheel and maybe what back space he needs? thanks a lot guys. Herb
tire size calculator
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #7

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

285/75 is over 2" taller than stock
Old 01-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Nothin' Special
especk is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shedespeck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
especk's Tacoma Gallery
if you wanna get the 305s, get em. Yesterday I ordered 305/70/16 bfg km2 for my truck for when I install the OME lift in a couple weeks. I ordered an aftermarket offroad bumper because the front fender is where the majority of the rubbing would occur. I'm also ready to chop my cab mounts. You may want to do the same.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisRacing View Post
ok,, but the 285/ 75 seem kinda small. what size is stock so i can compare the 285 to a stock tire.
Keep in mind.. 285's will drop your gas mileage quite a bit..

I know that is something that gets overlooked quite often.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatacomaTRD View Post
Keep in mind.. 285's will drop your gas mileage quite a bit..

I know that is something that gets overlooked quite often.
yep, i blew it off thinking the guys saying that were a bunch of complainers...until i started paying 40 every other week for gas
Old 01-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
80 bucks a month....I wish lol I am paying about 50 every 4-5 days