Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Poll: Are you happy with your Tacoma?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Taco?
Are you kiddin me? I frickin love my Taco! 3,009 66.87%
I like most things about it but there are some things I hate. 1,279 28.42%
Neither here nor there, it's just a truck that I drive. 77 1.71%
I dislike a lot of things about it, but there are a few things about it that I really like. 80 1.78%
Absolute piece of isht, I would never buy another one in a million years. 55 1.22%
Voters: 4500. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 AM   #41
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Overall I'm very happy with the truck. I still believe it's hands down the best mid-size pickup, and if I were shopping this segment again, I'd pick it again.

That being said, I do feel like there were some corners cut by Toyota, and I wish that it had some "luxury" items like leather, heated seats and mirrors, etc. from the factory. Yes, I'm one of those guys. If i had to do it all over again honestly, I would have probably bought an F-150. The gas mileage isn't much (if any) different and I'd get more space (I'm a big guy) and more capability. I don't think that's the Tacoma's fault, I just think the midsize truck market is becoming less and less relevant.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #42
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What would you expect from a Tacoma forum?

I love my truck!! Granted - I wish Toyota would've put more internal comforts & gadgets in it, but...it's all good. This truck is pushing 4 years old. I hope it continues to run strong for atleast 10 years. Then....I'll have to buy another one because I want a new one!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #43
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I love my tacoma. It has never failed on me!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #44
Coloradomx24 is a splendid one to beholdColoradomx24 is a splendid one to beholdColoradomx24 is a splendid one to beholdColoradomx24 is a splendid one to beholdColoradomx24 is a splendid one to beholdColoradomx24 is a splendid one to beholdColoradomx24 is a splendid one to behold

Coloradomx24's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I wish was better on my Tacoma was the quality of the paint job. It would be nice if they offered heated/leather automatic seats in their full trim edition. But I love my tacoma other then that!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #45
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Rich Beauregard's Tacoma Gallery
Love my Tacoma! That does not mean I love Toyota! When my strut collapsed at 26.000 miles while I drove on flat street (And before I off roaded / lifted it) 2 service guys said it was covered by warrenty, then they came back out with a manager and changed their story. They said "you must have hit something so we will not cover it" Total BS! Contacted Toyota Corp. They said District manager would look at it within 3 days and decide. 5 days later I called them back, they said he looked at it and agreed with the dealership manager. (Only problem was that my Tacoma was at my house and no one came out to look at it. Again BS!!!! I told Toyota Corp this and they said I could file for Arbitration. Okay I did and never got any reply! Called them again, (NOTE: each time I called it was someone new and I had to expain everything over again.) They did not receive it. I need to file again! Total runaround! I bought a new set of Bilstein Struts and put them on myself. But then I did not trust them, and my rear leaf spring broke while truning around on the street, so I UP GRADED to OME Dakar suspension!
Collapsed Strut!

Broken Leaf (Passenger side)

Blilstein vs OME

Toyota Leafs vs OME / Dakar
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #46
Rich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich Beauregard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Other things I would like to have: Bed light, Rubber floor, STRONGER tail gate! (Thats another story!)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #47
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Beauregard View Post
Other things I would like to have: Bed light, Rubber floor, STRONGER tail gate! (Thats another story!)
Yeah, bed light. I know a lot of people have modded theirs. I am thinking a simple plug with a bulb or light that I could keep in the storage compartment in the bed, and plug into the bed outlet would be helpful....just have to find one.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #48
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
Yeah, bed light. I know a lot of people have modded theirs. I am thinking a simple plug with a bulb or light that I could keep in the storage compartment in the bed, and plug into the bed outlet would be helpful....just have to find one.
I bought a Rigid industries D2 light that im going to mount in the bed for lighting, but i agree, they shoulda had a light from the factory. Also, hood struts, and a light under the hood
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #49
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
I really like my truck alot but i f*ing hate the 4 cylinder, but i guess for what it is its nice. But i love the looks of the 2nd gen, my dream truck minus the 4 cylinder
Trade it in for the 6 cylinder if you don't like the 4. Yeah, I know, now that you have it and made it yours, it's hard to let go. That and depreciation. Lol
Old 01-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #50
Don't really understand 2WD trucks....
4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all4X42HEL is a name known to all

4X42HEL's Tacoma Gallery
Over-all, pretty happy. Been owner 6 months now. Um, if I had to venture, I'd say Toyota (at least past few years) hasn't been focusing too much on developing or advancing the Tacoma as much as they are on their other rides.

My guess is they probably think Taco owners are a captive audience. There really isn't another competitor (maybe Nissan?) in the mid-size market, so we are good to return for another of the same model in a few years?

However, if you look at the Corolla or the the van thingie, or the 4Runner (which the 2011 looks like the offspring of an FJ Cruiser and 4Runner) those are advancing more and have more options and little things and conveniences (locking gas caps, different radios, slightly *nicer* interiors..etc).

Personally, I wished the 2010 that I bought was *nicer* interior whatever that even means. I just know when I get into my friends' 4Runner, FJ and Camrys they all seem to have a "Zing" that I lack in the taco. Oh, not to mention a fairly trimmed Silverado.

overall, I'm happy and proly would do the same purchase again (less, GM makes a midsize like the Colorado which is comparable in price, performance and resale like the Taco, which isn't he case as of today).

-
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #51
Rich2putt is a splendid one to beholdRich2putt is a splendid one to beholdRich2putt is a splendid one to beholdRich2putt is a splendid one to beholdRich2putt is a splendid one to beholdRich2putt is a splendid one to beholdRich2putt is a splendid one to behold
Name: Rich
Rich2putt's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't buy anything else............
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #52
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with many of the comments here in terms of a wish list -- wish heated leather seats, factory sunroof, power rear window, and in dash nav had all been options when I purchased.

And x2 on the diesel.

And I wish they had a solid front axle rather than IFS.

As for the rest, bed lights, under-hood lights, etc -- those are all easy retrofit mods.

And I personally really like the interior design and comfort (except not having leather seats). What do you expect in a truck, a walnut dash and hand-stitched leather door panels?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #53
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
If I had it all to do over again I think I would have bought a f150, I really like the taco but I expected more from it. First and probably last toyota I will own. I have 60k on the truck and its spent a lot of time in the shop.
1. exhaust manifolds cracked (x2)
2. front diff Bearing
3. Rear suspension needed tsb, toyota refused.
4. Drive shaft vibrations, replaced carrier bearing, than had to have entire shaft rebuilt to correct issue
5. Paint not the greatest
6. Oil leak (not huge issue but a pain in the ass)
7. Gas millage not what I was expecting.

I know this is not a terrible list but of all the vehicles I have owned the toyota has spent the most time in the shop.

Now the good, it kills anything in its class, and has a great resale value. Plus as far as mid sized trucks go its the best looking hands down.

Just a fyi I voted for choice 2 because when all is well I really like the truck!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #54
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrom View Post
If I had it all to do over again I think I would have bought a f150, I really like the taco but I expected more from it. First and probably last toyota I will own. I have 60k on the truck and its spent a lot of time in the shop.
1. exhaust manifolds cracked (x2)
2. front diff Bearing
3. Rear suspension needed tsb, toyota refused.
4. Drive shaft vibrations, replaced carrier bearing, than had to have entire shaft rebuilt to correct issue
5. Paint not the greatest
6. Oil leak (not huge issue but a pain in the ass)
7. Gas millage not what I was expecting.

I know this is not a terrible list but of all the vehicles I have owned the toyota has spent the most time in the shop.

Now the good, it kills anything in its class, and has a great resale value. Plus as far as mid sized trucks go its the best looking hands down.
Was this after a lift? Or stock?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #55
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Had a vibration before the lift, the lift just made it that much worse, don't get me wrong I really like my truck but not toyotas service. They explained everything as "normal". Started to notice the front diff growl before the lift and toyota did a complementary service and said it was ok, after the warranty expired I installed a 2.5 lift and the noise became more prominent. So to be fair it was repaired after the lift but I am pretty sure something was up before. Maybe it's just the dealers in my area but I was not overly impressed.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #56
Nick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick54 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E5 Machinist Mate - USS Downes San Diego Cal.
Name: Nick
Nick54's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned a 1985 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD V8, a 1992 3/4 ton 2WD V8 Chevy Silverado extended cab, a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD V6 extended cab. I know we are talking two different vehicle classes here but hands down my 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD V6 DC is the overall best of the bunch. The 92 Silverado was sweet in its day but by the time I got rid of it she was costing me an arm and leg in gas. The Ranger was a complete POS! Are there something’s I think Toyota could have done better, especially considering what I paid for the Taco, YES. Like most others a bed light, better quality, not more elaborate, radio, stronger tail gate, quieter interior - which I'm looking into to fix myself, better stock tires - Bridgestone Duelers they suck - already replaced. Oh ya just one more extravagance which I acquired from my Kia Amanti - climate control - ya I know I'm spoiled and realize it, nor any of the other ills are deal breakers. I know it may be hard to believe after this rambling but I truly LOVE MY TACO and without question unless someone else makes some significant strides in the mid market, will buy another.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #57
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I have the plainest one they make in a 4x4, roll up windows, manual tran, no cruise control, no intermitant windows etc.
I knew what i was getting going in and Love my truck!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #59
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Hell yeah I love my truck!!! If you dont like yours....you did something wrong.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #60
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
I love my truck! All of the Toyota's I have owned have been great. I am not too happy that the cab rattles constantly; even while driving on smooth paved roads. The door jams make tons of noise and there are other rattles as well. Thats my only complaint though.