1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let me tell you how awesome my Tacoma was...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sportsphreek, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    I have to agree with those here that are saying their 4x4 Sports do well in the snow. Here in mid Missouri we have gotten several significant snowfalls - 10" last week - and my 2010 Sport has been great. I had a choice between the Sport and OR when I bought it last summer. I went with the Sport because I liked how they looked a little better, it was a little cheaper, and I didn't intend to do any serious off roading. Only thing that concerned me was driving in snow. I'm sure the ORs are a bit more capable - but seriously after driving this thing through snow for the last month I don't see how I would ever get this thing stuck in 4HI. I mean I guess I could drive it off the road into a ditch with hood high snow - or something like that - but I've driven this thing through all kinds of snow - packed snow, re-frozen slush, deep drifted snow, etc... - and I never once felt like was ever coming close to getting stuck. This winter has showed me that for what I need it for - this truck is nails.

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Pulling someone up a hill is nothing. I pulled this out with my old 4 cylinder tacoma with an open diff. This happened right in front of work which made it even better.

DSCN0928_b94a604052acf596a60daf72f9629f32e3c31b5d.jpg
    DSCN0929_dbe880999020af391b75d10028bd212aa83c175b.jpg
    I have only once been stuck in snow with a Toyota 4X4 truck in the last 20 years. About 10 years ago we got over 2 feet of wet snow the day after Christmas. I was supposed to go to work. This was before I had my plow truck too and nobody could get there to plow until afternoon. First I tried the FJ40. With 33" BFG's I made it to the 4 foot plow berm at the end of the driveway and got stuck. Really stuck. So I hopped in my wife's 98 TRD tacoma we had, locked the diff and went to pull out the landcruiser. I got to the cruiser, then got the tacoma stuck. I then admitted defeat. 2 weeks ago my wife came home after it had snowed all day and busted through a plow berm over the headlights in her 4Runner. I just wish she hadn't then driven directly into the garage. After I plowed the driveway I had to shovel all the snow she dragged in out of the garage.

3. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    Sportsphreek

Sportsphreek [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Wow that is a pretty intense pic. How in the world did that other truck end up in the ditch that bad in the first place?? Where do you live - that much snow sounds like a ton of fun (Provided that >0.1% of the population knows how to drive in it)

The fact that you have been stuck 1x is a testament to how awesome a truck a Tacoma is (And that you are a skilled driver ;) )

With my old 95.5 i4 Tacoma SX I helped a buddy uproot a tree stump. Probably one of my dumber decisions since trying to do something like that in a Manual Transmission absolutely toasted my clutch (Stump wouldn't budge). We ended up having to dig around it a good bit and cut some roots with a Reciprocating Saw before she could rip it up the rest of the way). She ended up being just fine though and I traded her in for my current truck :)

-Kevin

4. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    The land rover was going a bit too fast to make it into the far entrance of the parking lot. He tried to correct and get it back into the road but didn't make it. So he wound up in the ditch. Had it not been full of snow he would have easily been sitting another 1-2 feet down. Just another winter day in NH. And no people can't drive in it up here either. Whenever it snows I make a point to come to work late and leave late.

Products Discussed in

To Top