Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Mounted Cargo Cross Bars

Old 01-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
novakills has a spectacular aura aboutnovakills has a spectacular aura about

Name: scott
novakills's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Mounted Cargo Cross Bars

I am considering fabricating a product similar to the discontinued OEM Toyota Cargo Cross Bars as shown in this pic:

In addition, I am thinking about incorporating some improvements to the design that would improve the versatility for my particular use of this product as well as aesthetics and theft prevention.

What I need from you guys is any potential design improvements you would like to see, realistic price point recommendations, and any other useable advice anyone has to offer related to this product.

These products could be available to market in as little as 30 days but I want to make the right product from the get go. This thread will monitor the development of these products in as much detail as possible and a future Group Buy will be extended to Tacomaworld members for any design assistance.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
I have two that are completely adjustable. I think I paid about $12 each. They are powder coated and have held up well for over a year. They have ball - lock coarse adjustments with rubber pads on threaded rods on each end for fine adjustment. They fit against the side of the bed, and you can move them up or down the height of the bed, making them pretty flexible. I'll try to take a pic if you'd like.
But if you are planning on using them where you are not concerned about something low in the bed moving, then your fabrication idea may be just what you need.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
I have two that are completely adjustable. I think I paid about $12 each. They are powder coated and have held up well for over a year. They have ball - lock coarse adjustments with rubber pads on threaded rods on each end for fine adjustment. They fit against the side of the bed, and you can move them up or down the height of the bed, making them pretty flexible. I'll try to take a pic if you'd like.
But if you are planning on using them where you are not concerned about something low in the bed moving, then your fabrication idea may be just what you need.
I know the cargo bars you are referring to but the product in consideration here is one that is appropriate to install bike mounts, ski/snowboard racks, surfboard pads, canoe mounts, etc, to. Probably use a tubing similar to Yakima or Thule so their line of mounts could be used on these cargo bars.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I have seen those but I am thinking the design could be elaborated on to promote a wider range of functionality as well as being more sophisticated aesthetically. While the product you linked is certainly functional in some ways...quite frankly, it looks like something that would be installed on a rusted out 1982 Chevy truck to keep the bedsides from falling off. No disrespect intended toward the manufacturer, it's just not fulfilling the portion of the market that I happen to be a member of.

I am looking to make something that will satisfy my needs as well as those who a product like you linked doesn't satisfy. If that product works for ya, great but I'm not interested.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
booboy is on a distinguished road

booboy's Tacoma Gallery
Something like this?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...kima-rack.html
Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Kinda hard to say no disrespect when your equation to what they should be mounted on trash's them. Having freedom of opinion is what it's all about. Being a dick however can come off like...hmhmhm.....being a dick.

I did not disrespect the PERSON that made them, I simply stated my opinion of the products appearance and limited functionality.

They are about as basic as possible which in my mind makes them pretty much indestructible for the uses you speak of which is why I got them.

They are a basic design and I appreciate the simplistic and bulletproof approach. I am looking to have height/location adjustability as well as be able to use well designed, functional, available, and theftproof accessories.

BTW - just so you know Kevin at ATO (link I provided) is one of the premier fabricators of armor for our trucks. He does custom bars suited to anyones needs as well. I like many others have his products and am very happy with them. Trashing his items and work might not be the way to start off around here.

I'm sure Kevin is great, as well as his product, as well as his company. I am not looking to compete with anything he currently markets. If my reply is interpreted as trashing his items and work...then I politely apologize. I tried to make it clear that his product does not suit my needs and I'm looking to hear from people in the same position as me.

Ill keep an eye on this thread and see what you come up with that looks like it should be installed on our trucks

Welcome to the thread. I'm looking forward to this venture.

Your input is appreciated.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboy View Post

YEAH! That's headed in the right direction. I would like something that eliminate the need to mount them to the cleats, ie directly to the bed rail and maybe cantilevered them so that the rear one would be out over the tailgate. Thanks for the link and I saved the website in my favorites for future reference.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
BFLOtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: K
BFLOtaco's Tacoma Gallery
if you make it, ill buy it
Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight.

RZ Rob
Old 06-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
Have you gotten anywhere with the set up
Old 11-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Shameless bump for an old thread. New Aluminum crossbars.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
spieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shedspieler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
spieler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Shameless bump for an old thread. New Aluminum crossbars.
Are those being fabd and sold???
Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I was the only one making something like this....
Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spieler View Post
Are those being fabd and sold???
I've made a few sets for some local guys, but that's about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
I thought I was the only one making something like this....
I've been building stuff for people for a long time now. It used to be a job, now it's just a hobby.