Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Considering purchase. Opinions plz!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by liinxcore View Post
I have the prerunner 2wd reg cab. I love the 4banger fuel economy honestly. I havent been in a situation where I have felt "if only i had the 6". I do notice I get about 22mpg in the city, but our highways are 65-75mph so my hwy miles are about 20mpg. Given your needs for this truck, it doesnt seem practical for you to get the 6. Who buys a truck as a race car lol. stick with the 4 and enjoy those mpg's
This is my point exactly with the 4 vs 6. My truck is not broken in yet (5K miles) and I already get an average of 20mpg hwy on winter blend gas and about 18 mostly city driving.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
gt4rcdude is on a distinguished road
gt4rcdude's Tacoma Gallery
Any opinions on stick or auto mated to the 4 banger? I live in Atlanta so traffic can be an issue. More like a nightmare. I enjoy driving a stick tho. I'm leaning toward the auto, but a deal just popped up VA for a nice stick.

Thanks to all those who have commented.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #23
Well, ended up finding a 2009 SR5 Access in Super white with gray interior with 3800 miles on it! Absolute mint condition for $17500. Woo hoo!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
sonocotaco is on a distinguished road
Name: ken
sonocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #25
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
If your bed will be empty 99% of the time, then just get a car. Borrow a truck for that 1%.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
If your bed will be empty 99% of the time, then just get a car. Borrow a truck for that 1%.
Need a truck this weekend to pick up a load of manure. When can you be here?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4rcdude View Post
Need a truck this weekend to pick up a load of manure. When can you be here?
You need more friends?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #28
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the purchase ...... it sounds as if it will fit all your needs ...... I have a '10 with the same set up ...... and with gas jumping from $2.95 to $3.05 yesterday morning that I4 will serve you well.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was obviously not clear enough on my first post. I will edit it to reflect what I'm looking for.

670, I know the 4 pales in power to the six, but low fuel consumption is more important to me. For the 99% of the time the bed will be empty, I'm leaning toward the 4. I'll do more searching in the threads to glean more info on the fuel consumption of the two powerplants vs. output.
You will be fine with the 4 . Its not only about MPG .......MAINTENANCE is less expensive and easier to work on. I prefer the 6 but would have purchased my truck if it had the 4 cyl as well. Unfortunately the Double Cabs in 08 only came with a 6.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #30
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was obviously not clear enough on my first post. I will edit it to reflect what I'm looking for.

670, I know the 4 pales in power to the six, but low fuel consumption is more important to me. For the 99% of the time the bed will be empty, I'm leaning toward the 4. I'll do more searching in the threads to glean more info on the fuel consumption of the two powerplants vs. output.
One general rule I have learned with 4-bangers: If you're going to have your foot in it a lot, your gas savings will be marginal.

If the engine is being pushed harder to perform to make up for the smaller displacement, it will reduce your mpg numbers.

FWIW, that has been my experience...
Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #31
Quote:
You need more friends?
Can never have too many. I just hate borrowing somebody's truck. Too much to worry about. I prefer to be self sufficient.

Quote:
If your bed will be empty 99% of the time, then just get a car.
I have a Celica GTFourRC, a Celica convertible with a turbo swap and a Mercedes Benz. Got the car thing covered.

Filled up today. With 5000 miles on the clock I got 23mpg in mixed driving including one 8 mile traffic jam and 70% short trips. That's 7 mpg better than my Tundra got. I'll take it. I've already hauled two motorcycles. I'm completely satisfied with the power. I'm hoping as the miles pile up the mpg's will improve just a tad. I've heard good things about ARE air filters. Gas went up 20 cents in the last few days. I'm so glad I sold that Tundra.

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.