1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window vents........why?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kingfrog, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Stick on window vents came with my Taco. I hate them and don't know what their purpose is for non smokers. I mean one can get clean filtered fresh air into the cabin.....

I think the rears are a complete waste on double cabs. As soon as the weather warms to above 70 I'm gonna throw mine away. Hopefully the paint underneath has not been discolored. I tried to "like them" But They are ugly and without purpose....

When I smoked 20 years ago they were great to get the smoke out and flick an ash in the rain. But now I don't see any reason for them. Anyone havr a reason for them I missed?

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I like to leave the window cracked when driving and when the truck is parked at work and I just happen to live where it rains for 4 months straight.

3. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    I love mine.. I don't smoke, I just like to have my windows down when it rains, and they come in handy for when the inside fogs up in the winter.

To each his own tho, I am happy with mine since the day I put them on.:cool:

4. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Okay both good reasons.....do you prefer stick ons or the Weathertech in channels? I have had the channels before and liked them better aesthetically. The stick ons look terrible. That is my main concern. They're plain fugly on my truck stuck on the paint.

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    The HVAC system doesn't get it done in certain weather conditions, especially cold winter rains or frozen precip. Your vehicle will fog like a bitch, especially if you in-and-out a few times to get a nice pool of water in the floorboard and then run the heat.

I also enjoy leaving the windows cracked during the summer without it being obvious to passersby that they are open.

But: I would never, ever, touch stick-ons. In channel or bust.

6. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    Does it decrease drag?

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have the Weathertech in channels which I prefer the look of over stick ons , but have developed the rattle that many get with the Weathertechs especially when the weather is colder.

If you are thinking about getting in channels you may want to consider EGR's as well .

8. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Increases. Additional wind noise as well. Helps to drown out the roar from the MTs. :p

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    I have the avs stick ons, I actualy prefer the look as compaed to the in channel ones. :rolleyes:

11. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Yep, those stick-on ones suck...throw em out! Get the in-channels! They're great for cooling out the truck when parked on hot days...nobody can even tell the widows are cracked open. I think the stick-ons look too add-on/redneck... the inchannels look oem.

12. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    AVS in-channels for me-no rattles in over a year.

13. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Neither style was designed to be there or they would have come stock.

14. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Dave

15. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    I got them mainly for in the winter when it's snowing to reduce the rate at which the snow piles up at the lower passenger corner of the windshield under the passenger wiper. Before long, the wiper is stopping 1 inch higher...then 2 inches higher...then I have to stop and clear it before it breaks the wipers. The only way to combat it (since Toyota chose not to offer a heated windshield on the trucks like they do on the Highlander) is to keep the heat turned up as hot as it will go, set it to full defrost, and keep the fan on high. Well, it gets mighty warm really fast with those heater settings!!! So I have to open the window to let the cool air in...but I prefer not to have a pile of snow in the backseat or blowing in on me.

16. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I'm no troll , I posted my experience with my Weathertech in channels in response to the OP's question .

What is your problem?

17. Jan 28, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night , still no troll .

18. Jan 29, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    As well as hot summer days. I have the EGR in channels .... low profile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jan 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    Those lowprofile are ok ... I just don't like the look

20. Feb 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    Calijavier81

Calijavier81 Active Member

Member:
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DblCab TRD Sport 4x4
    Stock
    I just put in some weathertech channels...not pleased with how "crowded" the window seal gets up on top. The passenger side window almost sounds like its going to run out of juice when i close it up! Hopefully they get seated quickly..if not, i may have to go with some AVS. Overall, i dont think the weathertech are worth the extra money! The digi floor mats are by far the best though! PS the rear windows are great..no complaints. Hope this helps the next guy looking to buy or make up his mind.

Products Discussed in

To Top