Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When 4whelling on sand dunes

Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
DCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
DCW's Tacoma Gallery
When 4whelling on sand dunes

What is the best or most used setup with 4hi, 4lo, A-trac, auto LSD on sand dunes? Just wandering I have not had my 2011 TRD OR in sand.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
2wd at full throttle..........
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
DCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
2wd at full throttle..........
With 80psi in the tires right
Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
With 80psi in the tires right
i actually take the tires off and just drive on the wheels. it digs in nicely and offers amazing traction
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
IMO 4hi when just cruzing in the sand i dont have a locker, or atrac and i go everywhere twice
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #6

DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i actually take the tires off and just drive on the wheels. it digs in nicely and offers amazing traction
Trying to get serious feedback, Detective Dan what size wheels 16" or 20" work better? LOL
Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Trying to get serious feedback, Detective Dan what size wheels 16" or 20" work better? LOL
lol deffinently the 20's. haha ok im done messin with you, i have a prerunner so idk whats best for you, i just keep momentum and dont stop in anything really soft/deep and you should be just fine, even in 2wd
Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol deffinently the 20's. haha ok im done messin with you, i have a prerunner so idk whats best for you, i just keep momentum and dont stop in anything really soft/deep and you should be just fine, even in 2wd
Cool, I am going to try to get out to Sand Mountain near Reno in the next couple of weeks and have some fun.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
I want to apoligize for the responses over me. Jeez folks? It's ok to help I would say let air out according to the depth of sand. It depends on the situation. I would release in 5 psi increments and see how she moves. Make sure you utilize an air compressor powered off your rear power outlets to help fill up after soft sand conditions. When returning to firmer areas you will want to firm up your tires. Be prepared and your time will be better enjoyed. Right now I'm dealing with snow and ice so I envy your dilmena.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
4wd high with TRAC on in an auto. Low with a manual.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #11

DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I want to apoligize for the responses over me. Jeez folks? It's ok to help I would say let air out according to the depth of sand. It depends on the situation. I would release in 5 psi increments and see how she moves. Make sure you utilize an air compressor powered off your rear power outlets to help fill up after soft sand conditions. When returning to firmer areas you will want to firm up your tires. Be prepared and your time will be better enjoyed. Right now I'm dealing with snow and ice so I envy your dilmena.
Thanks Graham for the info, do you run in 4hi with LSD on, off, this truck has lots of buttons
Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can't run ALSD when in 4wd. TRAC acts like ALSD when in 4wd but it isn't as aggressive.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #13

DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
You can't run ALSD when in 4wd. TRAC acts like ALSD when in 4wd but it isn't as aggressive.
So just run 4hi and Im good to go? I dont mean to sound stupid I just never have been in the dunes before. I have ridden 3 wheelers and quads but not the truck thanks for the info.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #14

DCW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
I just run 4hi. If its really soft sand, drop your air pressure. No need for 4lo in the sand.
Thanks again for all your help here on TW.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Get Routy
The Mega is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
The Mega's Tacoma Gallery
I will stay in 4Hi at all times and run all four tires between 8 to 15 pounds depending on the sand depth. If youre worried about losing you bead theres a ton of easy ways to remount the tire. Always worked good for me though
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #16
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
2wd is mandatory for the dunes