Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

living at low rpms

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
misha1031 is on a distinguished road
misha1031's Tacoma Gallery
living at low rpms

Hi all
New to the forum and have a quick question, I'm hoping everyone with some experience with the Tacoma can help. I have a 6 speed manual with a 6 cyl engine. I've been driving manuals for 35 years and wouldnt want to drive anything else. Anyway, my hearing tells me that by 2500 rpm the engine has basically started to strain and its time to upshift, but that seems really low. Also, i find that I am actually driving (at times) below 2000 rpm, sometimes at 1800 or so. The engine feels strong and doesnt complain, it doesnt sound like its lugging at all. Does anyone else notice that this engine seems to want to live in the low rpm range? Anyone think I'm doing any damage staying at the lowest end of the scale? It just doesnt seem to want to go much higher than that anyway. Need some reassurance that this is what everyone else is finding. Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!
As the 4.0 makes good power in the low rev range, despite the sound, it loves to rev up high. I have run mine between 4500 and 5500 for long intervals and have had no problems. Youre not going to hurt the engine by running it in the lower rev range, but dont let the sound fool ya. It loves to rev!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Your Higher MPG will sound good........Rich Welcome neighbor what do you drive????
Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
My truck never seems to be over 3000 RPM's.

I must drive VERY moderately. Truck always seems to be below 2K. Only when I stomp on it do I get to over 4K.

The truck does well on the low end.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #5

Er where did you get your gas cap and how much??? ..Rich
Old 08-30-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
ninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedninja_taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Nick
ninja_taco's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 4cyl 5-speed and im shifting around 2500 as well. im usually cruising around 1500-1800 as well, never noticed a problem at all.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Ultima GTR Guy is on a distinguished road

Ultima GTR Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Great topic!
I just bought my '09 w/ 4L V6/Automatic and discovered the same thing. It seems to work great at low R's and seems like it doesn't want to go above 3k unless I'm manually shifting. The engine must generate a lot of torque below 3k to be able to accelerate like it does. Mine's still new so I'm babying it for 1k miles then I'll see how the character changes above 3k. I suspect that Toyota set the trans up like this for fuel economy and not necessarily performance. I'm very pleased so far.
Paul
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima GTR Guy View Post
Great topic!
I just bought my '09 w/ 4L V6/Automatic and discovered the same thing. It seems to work great at low R's and seems like it doesn't want to go above 3k unless I'm manually shifting. The engine must generate a lot of torque below 3k to be able to accelerate like it does. Mine's still new so I'm babying it for 1k miles then I'll see how the character changes above 3k. I suspect that Toyota set the trans up like this for fuel economy and not necessarily performance. I'm very pleased so far.
Paul
The tranny computer "learns" your driveing style and adjusts shifting accordingly. Mine will shift out of first @ 10-15 mph, then shift @ 2000-2300 rpms when driveing normally. The 5 speed auto is quite an impressive tranny, imho.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Swanner View Post
Er where did you get your gas cap and how much??? ..Rich

I got an off the shelf Stant brand from Pep Boys. It worked right the first time.

When you screw it back in, let it click at least three times before leaving it, not just one or two clicks.

Can't remember the price I paid. Sorry.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #11

Thanks!...........Rich
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, i have a 4.0 w/auto trans, the engine rarely goes over 2500-3000rpms, unless i punch the gas, it seems to like to be in low rpms, that saves a lot of gas though coz you can be running at 60-70 mph and still be under 3000 rpm
Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
09silvertaco is on a distinguished road
09silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
with the 6 spd, its geared to haul, like a big rig. so you can shift in the low rpm range and quickly through the gears and still have power...now that mines broken in a bit, i must admit i have crept up to the 4k mark or so a couple times between shifts and it does move and doesn't seem strained either.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
botayota is on a distinguished road
botayota's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 4cyl 5spd seems to float at 1800-2000 rpm, only uphill with the AC on do I see 3000 rpms. Even in 4th gear it just purrs away, doesn't strain.
This is a big difference from my 2000 Taco 4cyl5spd which didn't seem to quit have that much power.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
misha1031 is on a distinguished road
misha1031's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to everybody for the info- I'm now more than confident that all is just the way it should be. Most cars I've owned haven't been strong enough to pull down low like this truck can... awesome product and if I had to choose one way or the other (living low or high on the rpm scale) with the price of petrol being what it is... I'd have to say this is the best way for it to shake out. Thanks to all.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, and I found the same thing when I got mine. Because of fuel prices I hang out at 2000 rpm and find that everyone passes me but I see them refueling more.