Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How are your Avid Light bars holding up to rust

Old 01-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
chockie is on a distinguished road

chockie's Tacoma Gallery
How are your Avid Light bars holding up to rust

Waiting for my Avid Light Bars to be shipped and thinking about how to finish them. I've read most of the posts talking about line-x, rattle can, powdercoating, and spray on bedliners. My question is, for you guys and gals who have had your Avids for awhile now, how are they holding up to rust and how did you finish them? I live near the beach in the mid-atlantic so I am looking for the best rust protection.

Great site! Did the seat belt beep mod this morning and it worked like a charm on my 08 Indigo Ink DC LB Pre-Runner.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
i've only had mine for this winter and so far to rust at all but we dont use a lot of salt on our roads.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
fishshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine powdercoated this past summer. Lots of beach use, no rust at all.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Nightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Nick
Nightwar's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the slider bars, they got wet and started rusting over the next week. Got them Line-X, awesome now. Stainless steel gets a little rust on them, and its not u can not get off, just doing it all the time might get old.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Nightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightwar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Here is a pic of what one of the braces looked like at after some moister got to it. It was just on the surface and easy to take off though.
Attached Thumbnails
How are your Avid Light bars holding up to rust-img_0477.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
well duh, you can't expect bare metal not to rust...
Old 01-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
fishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud offishshooter has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwar View Post
I bought the slider bars, they got wet and started rusting over the next week. Got them Line-X, awesome now. Stainless steel gets a little rust on them, and its not u can not get off, just doing it all the time might get old.
You know that they are't made of stainless steel, right?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #8

Law Enforcement:
I did not. I thought they were though. The welder tig weld them with stainless. We had tried using other weld but it wouldn't stick.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #9

chockie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantac09 View Post
i've only had mine for this winter and so far to rust at all but we dont use a lot of salt on our roads.
cantac09: How did you finish the bars?

fishshooter: Any special instruction or coating for the powdercoat or just basic powdercoat?

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chockie View Post
cantac09: How did you finish the bars?

fishshooter: Any special instruction or coating for the powdercoat or just basic powdercoat?

Thanks for the help everyone!
I got a basic, matte black on the light bar, and a black, textured, mil-spec coating on the sliders, since most people that get in use them as steps. The powdercoater will take care of all the prep work. It was actually cheaper to get the bar powdercoated than Rhino or X-lined.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Steel, Not Stainless

I had mine:
Sand Blasted
Degreased
Powdercoat Primer coat - baked
Powdercoat Color coat - baked
Powdercoat Clear coat - baked
Cost more than the light bar
Better not friggin' rust !!!
But the Powdercoater told me it will still chip

You've gotta Seal it with something.
It's bare steel.
And if it's already got rust on it,
get it off before you cover it with anything.

CC
Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #12
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine powdercoated. No problems with rust. Brandon caps the ends with welded metal caps (as opposed to plastic tap-ins) which makes a big difference too because it keeps the tubes from rusting from the inside. That being said, as with anything you want to keep looking nice, preventative maintenance is key ... little scratches can become big rust problems if allowed to remain open. I touch up any scratches with anti-rust primer and topcoat as I see them.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #13

chockie's Tacoma Gallery

VERY nice!!
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #14
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
if you powdercoat it im sure it will be rust free for a long time
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #15
gt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: BT5
gt40's Tacoma Gallery
I have an Avid Light Bar on order and was thinking of first painting it with red oxide and then with Gloss Black Rust Oleum. Do you think that gray auto primer is better then red oxide?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
gt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of lightgt40 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy: BT5
gt40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40 View Post
I have an Avid Light Bar on order and was thinking of first painting it with red oxide and then with Gloss Black Rust Oleum. Do you think that gray auto primer is better then red oxide?
Come on guys. No opinion?