Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Get loaded 09 or save money on 08?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
adub is on a distinguished road
adub's Tacoma Gallery
Get loaded 09 or save money on 08?

looking for some feedback here.
can not decide what to do...spend more $$$ now and get a new 09 trd 4x4 dc offroad with all the goodies or take rebate and buy a much cheaper plain jane 08 dc 4x4 and slowly build it up the way i want it, stereo, suspension, alarm system,wheels and tires, keyless entry and all that fun stuff. what do you think?
Old 08-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
go for the 4x4. you wont regret it.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
adub's Tacoma Gallery
i am going to get the 4x4 either way, just can't decide if I go with loaded 09 and pay for the conveniences up front or save some $$ with the 08 and slowly build it up the way i want it.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hey save some green. with the way gas is i would save as much as i can.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
how bout a 08 4x4 DC not so plain jane (meaing an SR5 pkg #2 for keyless & fogs)? Ultimately, your the one who has to get behind the wheel everyday, do a list of what you gotta have and what you can do without & have fun shopping.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
It's always more fun to build up. Go with the '08.

Oh, and if you get an '08, you won't have to look at those goofy tail lights on the '09.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #7

yeah hes right
Old 08-30-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
adub's Tacoma Gallery
yea i have been thinking about the SR5 #2 but cannot find any left in black that have it down here in south texas.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the 09, it has hill assist and others options you won't be able to mode on, and I also like the new colors.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
See if you can make it a condition that they do the TSB on the 08. It would give you the TRD suspension for free.

What's the total price difference between the two and what mods do you want to do to it (lift, wheels, tires, etc)? You'll save some money with the 08 but how much will it leave in your pocket for upgrades? If you're financing is the payment going to be close? If you're financing, my guess is you'll shave about $15 per month for each $1000 you save.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
wing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud ofwing103 has much to be proud of

wing103's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wing103 Send a message via AIM to wing103 Send a message via MSN to wing103 Send a message via Yahoo to wing103 Send a message via Skype™ to wing103
I will go for a 09 model, I purchasing 08 TRD model few months ago. than my friend get a 09 model...with the same price that I pay for it come with some extra, back up camera & the stero can play mp3 CD with AUX in
Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just remember...if you get an offroad trd 4x4....you get a locker.......the sr5 does not come with one, and they can be quite expensive to buy and install or have installed. just a heads up. either way....you are gonna have an awesome truck!! just depends on what you wanna spend, and how you wanna go about it.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
adub's Tacoma Gallery
price wise on the toyota.com build your own I am finding an 08 available for about $26500 before $4500 off a dealer is willing to knock off from MSRP. the 09 is about $32000 TRD off road. so a difference of roughly $10,000. that is quite a difference. those prices are just off the internet, before any sort of negotiating. after visiting dealers today, they are much more willing to deal on a 08 than an 09. If i get the 08 i will want to upgrade suspension, wheels, tires, stereo, exhaust, but over a period of time not in one shot.
if the 09 i will probably not do much of anything to it for a while because it will have what i want out the door.
thanks for the heads up about the locker.
how willing are dealers to do the TSB?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
price wise on the toyota.com build your own I am finding an 08 available for about $26500 before $4500 off a dealer is willing to knock off from MSRP. the 09 is about $32000 TRD off road. so a difference of roughly $10,000. that is quite a difference. those prices are just off the internet, before any sort of negotiating. after visiting dealers today, they are much more willing to deal on a 08 than an 09. If i get the 08 i will want to upgrade suspension, wheels, tires, stereo, exhaust, but over a period of time not in one shot.
if the 09 i will probably not do much of anything to it for a while because it will have what i want out the door.
thanks for the heads up about the locker.
how willing are dealers to do the TSB?
it just depepnds on the dealer really. if you take a copy of the tsb in with the 08 tacoma.....they may be willing to go ahead and do it. then again, some will want proof that it sags, so you may have to load the bed up and take it in. but....you can always call the 800 number and seeif they will work with you.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
it just depepnds on the dealer really. if you take a copy of the tsb in with the 08 tacoma.....they may be willing to go ahead and do it. then again, some will want proof that it sags, so you may have to load the bed up and take it in. but....you can always call the 800 number and seeif they will work with you.
I was thinking he should use it as a negotiating chip with the dealer before buying the truck. Many times a dealer who is reluctant to bargain on price can be persuaded to bargin with accessories because it costs them relatively little (especially a TSB). When I traded in my car, I had to fight to get the dealer to get within $1500 of what I thought was reasonable for my car. They wouldn't budge so I asked if they'd throw in a Lo-Jack with the Early Warning system, which they accepted. It was about an $800 option.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I was thinking he should use it as a negotiating chip with the dealer before buying the truck. Many times a dealer who is reluctant to bargain on price can be persuaded to bargin with accessories because it costs them relatively little (especially a TSB). When I traded in my car, I had to fight to get the dealer to get within $1500 of what I thought was reasonable for my car. They wouldn't budge so I asked if they'd throw in a Lo-Jack with the Early Warning system, which they accepted. It was about an $800 option.
that would be a good idea too Rob, if he decides to go with an 08. they would more than likely do that tsb to make the sale.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i had a similar situation and i went with the 09 with all the options i wanted. the way i saw it was that if i was spending all that money i should just get it all done at once. im a firm believer in the theory of if your gonna do something you should do it right. i spent more money but i have every option i wanted (and more) plus i liked the charcoal gray color i got my 09 in...my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
i had a similar situation and i went with the 09 with all the options i wanted. the way i saw it was that if i was spending all that money i should just get it all done at once. im a firm believer in the theory of if your gonna do something you should do it right. i spent more money but i have every option i wanted (and more) plus i liked the charcoal gray color i got my 09 in...my 2 cents
There's something to be said for that. $10K is a lot of upgrades though.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
There's something to be said for that. $10K is a lot of upgrades though.
Ummm....YEAH!
Im a big fan of the "Build-it-yourself" club.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Get the 09, less depreciation, better safety features and has all the options you want anyways factory installed.

You could also wait 3 months when the 08 are gone and then negotiate harder on the 09.