1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any problems w/ 3" Front spacers and 2" AAL's?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KevLot17, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    Im looking to get a littl eheight out of my truck. i have a 2010 trd sport access cab. i was looking into 3" front spacers and 1" blocks or an add a leaf. what are some pros and cons to these and will i run into any problems... also my buddy says dont do anything because it screws things up.. what are some of your views on this and what i should do.. Oh yeah... im trying to keep this mod under sayyy $275??

2. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Save up and do the whole tire upgrade as well. 3" front looks funny without some meat under it. I have 3" blocks up front, .25" AAL in the back. Rides stiff as shit, but does the job. Roughly 40k miles on it since I've been lifted and I've only had a U-joint go out, but thats less than likely related to lift and more to normal wear and tear.

3. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spacers and blocks are the two worst way to lift your truck. Spacers, depending on the type, can bind your ball joints, give you a very stiff ride, and can make your bump stops useless (the shock will bottom out before you hit the bump stops). Blocks promote axle wrap.

For $275 I'd go with bilstein 5100's up front and an AAL in the rear.

4. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    You mean spacers up front I assume, not blocks, right?

5. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Sorry, yeah, same difference, do the same thing just look a little different. :p I concur about being the 'worst' way to lift your truck... but for as little as I manage to get out and wheel, its fine. Eventually I will get some lift coils/shocks instead, if I don't buy the 6" lift first.

6. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    so for 275 i can get shocks and AALs? and would i need that differential drop kit? where should i look to get them?

7. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    DownSouthMotorsports has the best prices. Diff drops don't really do much on 2nd gen Tacomas.

8. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ok so i saw somewhere else in another one of these lift question threads that if you get the leaf spring TSB it lifts it 1"?? is this true.. and the 5100's raising the front end wont mess with the angles or anything like that??

9. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    That's true on the TSB height.

What angles exactly are you worried about messing up?

10. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    i thought i read somewhere that when you lift the front the cv angles or somethin gets screwed up.. and you mentioned ball joints.. not a mechanic.. im just a body man haha

11. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    The ball joints are only stressed when using top plate spacers. With the billys set at 2.5 your cv angles shouldn't be too bad.

12. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ok. sounds good. thanks for your help.. i just checked out your build thread.. awesome.. love the white and black. i have a black access sport and im goin for pretty much the same look, height, black wheels, grille. i already have the black headlights and taillights, and have the 6000K hid fogs and headlights. it seems like your tires stick out a bit more than stock.. is that spacers or just your wheel backspacing? .. it has an Awesome stance!

13. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Thanks man I appreciate it. My wheels have the same backspacing as stock, but they are 9" wide, while the stockers are 7". That's why they stick out more :cool:

14. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    KevLot17

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    nice. definately looks great. +1 for the Penn State.. even though im a Notre Dame fan.. im real close to Penn State.. Thanks for everything man.. im off to order the 5100's or a grille.. not sure yet but ill figure it out within an hour haha!

Products Discussed in

To Top