Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thanks to All, OME 3" lift with AAL Installed, What I learned

Old 01-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
House Doc is on a distinguished road
House Doc's Tacoma Gallery
Updated with Photos Thanks to All, OME 3" lift with AAL Installed, What I learned

Thanks to everyone on the forum, lots of great posts, sticky's, and replies to my ?'s. I installed the 3" OME kit from Toytec on my son's 07 DC Prerunner.
A friend who runs a garage had his guys swap the front coils and shocks out using a wall mounted spring compressor. I would not want to use a cheap compressor for this. The springs are stout.
Anyway, here are a few things I did to make it work for me. Still took about 8 hours total, did the front 1 day, AAL on Sunday. My son helped, he know knows about torque wrenches, air tools, etc. We crawled around the garage floor, a lift would have been nice! On the front. I did not remove the sway bar completely. I disconnected it and moved the bar forward and rotated it out of the way. I could not get enough leverage to get the new shock/spring compressed enough to install the lower shock bolt. I was working alone. What I did was partially screwed in the lower ball joint bolts till only the non-threaded portion of the bolt was showing. This extra inch allowed me to get the shock bolt in, then tighten up the lower ball joint to finish it up.
On the AAL on the rear, I cut about 1 1/2 inches off the bolt that holds the springs together. I could not get enough separation between the axle and the springs to get the total length of the new bolt in. I still had plenty of length and cut the bolt off after getting the springs all tight and torqued. A recip saw really works great here.
I am very glad I researched the lift choices and did not use spacers. My son's truck has 87K on it so all 4 shocks that came in the kit was a plus as I was going to replace them soon anyway.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
I come from a long line of Conga dancers.
Natetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to allNatetroknot is a name known to all

Name: Nate
Natetroknot's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the lift!

A pointer for you: check the u bolt torque for a few days after you drive. My AAL install settled, which loosens up the u bolt nuts in severe cases. Then the goddamn AAL gets out of line with the leaf pack.

Maybe it was just my luck, but one side loosened up pretty good, I'd say 20-30 ft lbs.

Lets see pics!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to see some pictures post-lift. A little pointer for the rear bolt that you had trouble getting in.....since your rear axle is loose you can slide the axle far enough forward to get the bolt to go straight in without cutting it.

What part of Bama are you from? I'm in NW AL.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
I will get some pic's when my son stays home long enough to take them
I followed some advice and only unbolted one side of the axle at a time, leaving the other side still connected via the U-Bolts. That may have limited my axle travel but I felt it helped keep things in fairly close alignment. He is due for tires soon and will get the alignment checked. I will post some pic's ASAP.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Pictures posted on Photobucket
http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...eDoc57/Tacoma/
I am in Shelby County BAMA TACO.....RTR

Current Tires are P275/70 X 16
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
nice job, looks great and i bet your son loves it!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Roll tide! nice to have another lifted truck from down south. Congrats on a job well done!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Indian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndian Shifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ashil
Indian Shifter's Tacoma Gallery
good job