LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Steering wheel 'turns' @ 55mph??

Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel 'turns' @ 55mph??

I have a lift kit and over-sized BFG all terrain tires. The tires are like new, great shape. Between 50 and 60mph the steering wheel turns quickly back and forth; almost shakes. The truck drives fairly smooth and straight but this is bugging me. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like they're out-of-balance.....

Did you just install them and this started to happen?

Or did you go wheeling recently - got some mud on the wheels (that can cauase them to get out of balance)?

When was the last time you had an alligment?

Rotate the tires and see if the shaking changes.... and if it does - then I'd have the wheels/tires rebalanced and/or rechecked.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
^ +1
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Sounds like they're out-of-balance.....

Did you just install them and this started to happen?

Or did you go wheeling recently - got some mud on the wheels (that can cauase them to get out of balance)?

When was the last time you had an alignment?

Rotate the tires and see if the shaking changes.... and if it does - then I'd have the wheels/tires rebalanced and/or rechecked.
I just bought the truck last week and the first thing I did was have the (first) oil changed and tires rotated so I'm not sure if this was happeneing B4 the rotation or not. They could be out of balance...
The truck drives straight so I didn't think it needed an alignment...could I?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I just bought the truck last week and the first thing I did was have the (first) oil changed and tires rotated so I'm not sure if this was happeneing B4 the rotation or not. They could be out of balance...
The truck drives straight so I didn't think it needed an alignment...could I?

Thanks
Dunno..depends what's wrong.

Rotating the tires is a method of troubleshooting. It's a way of trying to find out which tire/s are out of balance.

Here's another thought.... Look at the outter edges and inner edges of the wheels - see if you lost any wheel weights. You should be able to see 'marks' on the wheel where a weight would've been.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind that Larger tires are more difficult to get perfectly ballanced, and Toyotas are very sensative to ballanced tires. Does the wiggle go away after a certain speed? Both Tacomas I have had this issue, and the only way I found for it to be solved was to go back to factory size tires. I chose to live with it as it only happened/happens at a certain speed.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Keep in mind that Larger tires are more difficult to get perfectly ballanced, and Toyotas are very sensative to ballanced tires. Does the wiggle go away after a certain speed? Both Tacomas I have had this issue, and the only way I found for it to be solved was to go back to factory size tires. I chose to live with it as it only happened/happens at a certain speed.
Yeah, it's just between 50-60. At all other speeds it rides perfect. I can live with it if I can't fix it.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
by chance.....how much air are you running in the tires?? sometimes, being over inflated will cause that too.