Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noise from engine compartment this morning HELP!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Slowoldman is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Slowoldman's Tacoma Gallery
Noise from engine compartment this morning HELP!

Hey Folks, Started my engine this morning allowed to warm up (10 minutes as always) Took off out of driveway and heard a rattling sound coming from the front of the vehicle. I would like to say it sounded like an engine rattle, but I opened the drivers window and continued to drive, and the noise was not loud enough to hear. If i was guessing it sounded like a VVTI or camshaft rotational noise, but it does not go with engine revolutions. I know this is odd, that's why i am turning to the experts. I did fill fuel tank with 93 octane fuel for the first time this week, but I would think the lower octane may contribute to engine noise not higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck. Thanks for your time.

Slowoldman.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
cohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shedcohrmundt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cullen
cohrmundt's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cohrmundt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowoldman View Post
Hey Folks, Started my engine this morning allowed to warm up (10 minutes as always) Took off out of driveway and heard a rattling sound coming from the front of the vehicle. I would like to say it sounded like an engine rattle, but I opened the drivers window and continued to drive, and the noise was not loud enough to hear. If i was guessing it sounded like a VVTI or camshaft rotational noise, but it does not go with engine revolutions. I know this is odd, that's why i am turning to the experts. I did fill fuel tank with 93 octane fuel for the first time this week, but I would think the lower octane may contribute to engine noise not higher. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love my truck. Thanks for your time.

Slowoldman.
did you ever figure out what the sound was?? mine is doing the same thing now, and throwing P0022 engine code:

A P0022 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following:
  • <LI itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="85">Incorrect camshaft timing <LI itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="84">Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system <LI itxtHarvested="1" itxtNodeId="83">Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber
  • Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
Possible causes
- Dirty Oil
- Variable Valve Timing (VVT) circuit is open or shorted
- Oil Control Valve (OCV) circuit is open or shorted
- Faulty variable valve timing (VVT)
- Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
- Damaged ECM

where the hell do i start