Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pros/Cons of U-Bolt Flip w/ Minimal Lift

Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Pros/Cons of U-Bolt Flip w/ Minimal Lift

My truck is not set up (yet) for any "serious" off-roading, but I do cut wood, haul hay, hunt, and drive plenty of pastures. I noticed that I often have debris caught on the rear axle, and was curious if 5100's set at 1.75" w/ Stock TRD Coils and a Fat Bob's Garage 2" AAL would be deemed worthy of a U-Bolt flip kit for the extra clearance. I obviously don't drive a rock crawler, but for functionality and convenience I figured I would just do the flip while I was installing my AAL. Opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tencrawler View Post
My truck is not set up (yet) for any "serious" off-roading, but I do cut wood, haul hay, hunt, and drive plenty of pastures. I noticed that I often have debris caught on the rear axle, and was curious if 5100's set at 1.75" w/ Stock TRD Coils and a Fat Bob's Garage 2" AAL would be deemed worthy of a U-Bolt flip kit for the extra clearance. I obviously don't drive a rock crawler, but for functionality and convenience I figured I would just do the flip while I was installing my AAL. Opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.
if your already re-doing your rear suspension might as well for 50 bucks
Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
i have the all-pro one, it is yet to be installed tho but i rrecommend them.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
yup do it......
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
What are you going to do for bumps?
coke is bad for you dumbazz
Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do I have to get new bump stops with the u bolt flip? I figured since I was only going with 1.5" of lift I could get away with the stock bumps? Please enlighten me if otherwise. This is my first time doing suspension work on my Tacoma. Very capable shade tree mechanic just not aware of all parts and combinations needed. As of right now, I am putting 5100's up front set to 1.75" (i'm okay w/ a little rake), 5100's in the rear, all-pro 3 leaf progressive AAL, and the all-pro u bolt flip kit. What am I missing?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do I have to get new bump stops with the u bolt flip? I figured since I was only going with 1.5" of lift I could get away with the stock bumps? Please enlighten me if otherwise. This is my first time doing suspension work on my Tacoma. Very capable shade tree mechanic just not aware of all parts and combinations needed. As of right now, I am putting 5100's up front set to 1.75" (i'm okay w/ a little rake), 5100's in the rear, all-pro 3 leaf progressive AAL, and the all-pro u bolt flip kit. What am I missing?
You will have to adapt your current bumps to fit on the u-bolt flip kit.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...but it is possible?
yes. call them and get the kit that is made to adapt timberins bumps (don't buy the bumps just the plate that is drilled out for them) and drill out 2 hole in your current bumps and screw them in.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #15
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I asked because if you don't want to spend money on timbrens you can mod the stock ones to work. Just make sure the plates for the flip kit come with the pre threaded holes for the timbrens. I did a writeup on how to put the stock bumps on it.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
yes. call them and get the kit that is made to adapt timberins bumps (don't buy the bumps just the plate that is drilled out for them) and drill out 2 hole in your current bumps and screw them in.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #18

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nice!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Beaver Believer

Quote:
Bookmarked! I was actively searching and bookmarking all of the how-to's I will be referencing in the next week for my install. Thanks.

On a side note. I can only do front and rear installs on different days. Which should i do first front or rear? Drive around with my ass in the air for a day, install the front and get it aligned following the install?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #20

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bookmarked! I was actively searching and bookmarking all of the how-to's I will be referencing in the next week for my install. Thanks.

On a side note. I can only do front and rear installs on different days. Which should i do first front or rear? Drive around with my ass in the air for a day, install the front and get it aligned following the install?
I'd do front first.