1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuggin Plow drivers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Danosabre, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Thank god he didn't run away! I've had plowers in the opposite lane throw rocks at my windshield and crack it...but there's nothing I can do except bitch at the state municipality :(.

Was it just a local plower? like a truck with a plow on front?

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Just FYI I replaced mine w/ an aftermarket steel rear bumper from kennesaw MTN AC out the door for like $580 w/shipping

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    Pat 13

Pat 13 Hillbilly 4X4

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma V6 DC 4X4 TX Pro
    If he was a contract plow it would have been easy to find out who it was and it would have been a lot worst if he didn't contact or leave his info. He probably doesn't want it on his insurance either so he wants to pay cash.

4. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    doesn't look too bad. at least it sounds like he wants to do the right thing. very rare.

5. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Well said.

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    SmilingMark

SmilingMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Color matched grill w/ grillcraft. BHLM and Morimoto Mini HID's Debadged.
    I originally wrote my response to argue with you that it is incompetence, but am changing my mind. Here is the first thing I wrote:

"I respectfully disagree with this point. If you can't plow a lot without hitting cars, you shouldn't be doing it. That is the definition of incompetence.
    However, in this case, it is indeed an accident, and not done with malice or forethought."

After typing it, I'm thinking that if it happens once, maybe twice, then indeed, the operator is not incompetent, but made mistakes and hopefully learns from them. If this routinely happens every winter, then, yes, it's incompetence and he should find a new profession.

I know plow drivers who have hit cars and they are they're own worst critics, they will quickly say it was thier fault and done through thier mistake. (These are the smaller private commercial operations) I've also known some plow drivers who take care of one of the the most avalanche prone highways in the US. (US 550 between Durango and Ouray) These guys are the safest, most careful drivers I've ever seen and not one has ever hit a car unless it was the car's fault.

I agree with everything else you posted 100%. If the guy admits he made a mistake, you should be a man and work with him. No need to get the cops involved unless you think this person will not make you whole again. As a society, in general, we're way to litigious when there is an amicable solution at hand.

7. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I think you're very fortunate. For every guy that comes in looking for you to admit his mistake there are at least 100 more that would hope no one saw and drive off. At least he's doing the right thing. Good to see an honest citizen with some integrity for a change.

Nothing wrong with him paying to get it repaired. Just take it to a repair shop and give him the bill. If he refused then call his and your insurance company to file a claim.

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    Series1000

Series1000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4X4 4.0L
    Lots
    x2

9. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Danosabre

Danosabre [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    I got my estamite from the stealer, $1,357.05. Thats before my rental and if they find anything else after they take it apart. He sais he was going to get me the $$ by the end of work thursday, but that didn't happen.
    I took today off to remortage the house (we had put in our papers in oct. and they just got to it.)
    I'm going to call him on monday to "remind" him that I need the cash or certified check by 4pm monday.

Stealer said it was going to take 5 days to repair.
    Here's the list:

Replace Rear bumper
    Repl/Repr Bumper brackets
    Repr Qrtr panel, repaint, clear coat.
    Repl TRD Off Road sticker
    Insp RT Wheelhouse liner
    " RT Protector
    " RT Mud guard
    " RT Flare
    " RT lower molding
    " RT Stone guard
    Algn Bed
    4 Wheel algn
    Inspect Tonneau Cover

10. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Sounds like a standup guy to me, when I had my Tundra some jackass with a trailer scraped the rear end & tail, just left no note nothing. Then Menards would not check their surveillance video to see if we could identify the drivers plate, said they didn't want to get involved. I will never shop there again, I wish I would have came out & seen that DB the charges would have been worth the satisfaction of beating his ass.

11. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    x2 and have the police take a written statement as well... at the scene of my accident woman was all apologetic for the crash and said it was her fault but after that she changed up her whole story and didnt want to take blame for it at all... that was back in september and it still isnt settled yet... always file a report u never know!

12. Feb 5, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wish something would happen to my chrome bumper so I'd have an excuse to replace it.

13. Feb 5, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Be glad it was on snow and it pushed the truck. On dry pavement, there would be more damage.

14. Feb 5, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    I'll bet the dealers estimate includes every single possible part that could be damaged at full retail price. And probably about 20 percent of them are actually needed. The fact is outside of paint work it's next to impossible to determine how much it's going to cost without taking it apart first. And someone's post about the guy being tired and maybe coming off a 12 hour shift is very true. I know some guys who do commercial plowing and it's not uncommon for them to be out 36-48 hours pretty much straight through plowing. Hell I've taken out my own mailbox twice plowing my driveway.

15. Feb 5, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift

If he pays that he's an even more stand-up guy than I'd be. I'd be asking you to get a couple of estimates. Sounds like the dealer is making a mountain out of a molehill. Can't tell from the pics, but is there any damage to the quarter panel. That and "inspecting" all those things just adds time and money to the bill. While I can appreciate that you want the truck fixed and fixed right, if I were you I'd get a couple more estimates. What goes around, comes around. We had someone back into my wife's Camry this winter. We went to three different body shops people recommended and got pricing ranging from 1,600 to 1,200 to replace the front bumper. All seemed awefully high to me so I found a shop on my own and got a price of 807. After talking to the guy to make sure he was competent, I saved the person almost 800 bucks. I'm not religious by any means but I'm a big believer in karma.

16. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    X2 ... Karma is a bitch so get on her good side whenever you can. This guy is probably just a hard working guy like you. Get your truck fixed right but try to help him out he could have drove off & left you paying the deductible.

17. Feb 6, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    Buddha4

Buddha4 Active Member

Member:
    CO
    cold air intake
    to the OP unless it was a bad camera angle it looks like the truck was a lot further in the travel lane the the vehicle next to it. You also said it was pushed 18". It looks like if it was 18" towards the passenger side you would be right up on the SUV next to you and you would be pissed about the passenger side getting dented.

18. Feb 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
    X2 :D

Products Discussed in