1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting rid of Taco for SUV?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BreezyTaco, Feb 1, 2011.

?

3rd child=3rd row seating????

Poll closed Mar 3, 2011.
  1. Keep the Tacoma and Prius

27.5%
  2. Keep the Tacoma, trade the Prius

63.7%
  3. Trade the Tacoma, keep the Prius

8.8%
  1. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    BreezyTaco

BreezyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    :eek:

My wife and I just found out were pregnant with our 3rd child! Very exciting! We have the 2006 double cab tacoma, and a 2009 prius. We just bought the Prius June 2010, and are a year out of paying off the tacoma, which was appraised at $24,000. My truck has tons of extras; Nav, alpine dvd player, superb sound, 20" wheels, CAI, and only just under 35k miles. Everything I have ever wanted pretty much in it.

I love the gas mileage in the prius, but we might need the 3rd row seating of an SUV...What should I do? Will I regret it if I get rid of my pickup?? And is it worth it, or just suffer with three kids in the back?:eek:

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    How old are the other two? I say suffer.

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    How old are the other two? Seems like you could get by with the DC for a few more years. No truck payment would be nice with three rug rats running around.

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    TheTacoTruck

TheTacoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6-Spd
    seat in bed mod?

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    As long as you're not trying to cram 3 car seats in there, I say suffer through it and get an SUV when they get bigger and you really need the space.

6. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Pioneer Indash GPS, JL Audio Speakers, FM Alarm, Euro Tail lights, Blue Dash Lights, Trailor Hitch, Painted Fiberglass A.R.E. Tonneau Cover
    Sorry all my kids' bdays are in the fall, right now they're 8 and 3, and our due date for the next one is in october.

7. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Sorry, probably not gonna happen

8. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    So if your gonna suffer at least stay in the Toyota family. 4Runner has 3rd row. Btw wanna sell anything of your truck yet?

9. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    BreezyTaco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    No sorry, if I keep my truck I'm getting Wet Okoles for sure, then once it is paid off getting my skid plate and new grille, and I will be complete, maybe add some new shocks and all that 2" leveling junk.

10. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    I say ride it thru pay off ur truck and if u still want a suv buy it

11. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    depends. if you need the gas mileage, keep the prius and sell the taco. But if you actually plan on carrying 5 people, that prius has got to go.

12. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    TexMexTaco

TexMexTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4x4 Manual
    I can fit 3 kids (5, 3, and 1) in the back of my 11 DC Taco. All in car seats. Only problem is they tend to mess with each other when bored, but they don't spend much time in my truck.
    I got a Mazda5 for my wife, which has a gret seating arrangement for 3 kids. They're relatively inexpensive, zippy around town, and pretty good on fuel (25mpgs).
    I don't know about 3 in the back of a prius though.

13. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    Mr Salty

Mr Salty "Give up the good to go for the great"

Member:
    First Name:
    Hermmy
    SoCal (Bro Capital of the world)
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 Pre-runner
    Lots of chrome
    As a father of two and a previous minivan owner (07 Honda Ody) I say get rid of the prius and get a minivan. My honda was great, I could do so much with it and it was way more spacious then any SUV I ever rode in. Shoot I even towed a couple of quads behind it and took it to the dessert. Sounds crazy I know, but it put out 244 hp and towed then just as easy as my Tacoma does now. I got a lots of slack owning one, but it was by far the best family vehicle I've ever owned and my wife loved it. With another child on the way and two youngens, this would be the most practical vehicle for you. As a side note, the new Honda gets 28 mpg on the highway, which is great for a car that size and weight.

At least consider this and take one for a test drive, you'll be surprised by the handling, performance, saftey, and by how spaciouse they are. Keep the truck, pay it off and get a mini.

Just my opinion.

14. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Hang on to your cars for now. Strap the baby seat into the middle of the back seat - it's a great space isolator. About the time the new baby outgrows the childseat (age 5) that's when your backseat elbow-turf wars get really serious. Then, get a minivan.

I second everything Mr. Salty says above: Powerful, comfortable, nice to drive. And seating in an Odyssey is *way* ahead of any SUV 3rd row seat - those SUV back row seats are a joke car designers play on people who have legs.

15. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Go drive a new 4Runner. They are awesome.

I told the girlfriend the other day we will never own a minivan, she agreed and said that I should get a 4Runner if we have kids. Win.

16. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    MyYota05

MyYota05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Prerunner w/ TRD Offroad Pkg.
    3'' Lift Kit, Bed Rug Liner, Black Rims

I have said that in the past to about getting a van but I will be honest I have two kids and my wife is now wanting to trade her Nissan Altima in for a van, and I have been looking at the Toyota Sienna's and man they are very nice and even sporty in a way.

17. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    Keep what you have, continue to pay off the truck.

18. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Screw the Prius. If you trade the Taco and sell the Prius your either a f#% or your a damn tree huggin mofo

19. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    I agree with Salty, minivans are very useful vehicles. I know the pride might take a shot, but they are a lot more practical than a SUV. Plus, honestly when you are getting out of an SUV with the wife and three little ones, nobody thinks "what a b*dass!"

Imagine taking a week long family vacation with an SUV needing the third row. There goes your cargo space. Now you need to buy a trailer. Also, SUVs with third row seating are cramped and a PITA to get in and out of. Minivans can double as a light duty work vehicle for little trips to Home Depot. SUVs can also, but the minivan has much more interior cargo space.

Within the Toyota family the base 4Runner gets 1 to 2 MPGs worse than the Sienna, and also costs 5 grand more.

OP, not trying to flame, just to understand your rationale. Do you want the SUV because it CAN squeeze to fit your needs and for your personal daily driver it is "cooler?" Is the cool factor more important then the discomfort to your family and worth the extra money you'll spend?

All that being said. I'd probably get the SUV. I'm a prideful mother effer! :D

20. Feb 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    You drive the Prius. Get a Land Cruiser for the family.

Products Discussed in

To Top