Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Questions from new truck owner

Old 08-31-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
Questions from new truck owner

I have a couple of questions, they may come off as stupid but having never owned a pickup truck before I really dont know.

How easy is it for things to fly out of the bed that arent secured?

Does leaving the tailgate down really improve gas mileage/is it bad for the truck?

Is the fact that the tailgate is removable without tools so you dont just end up leaving it down?

Will I really need to add weight to the bed in the winter or will cautious driving suffice?

thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Things don't normally fly out of the bed unless it's something very light weight. You'll have more problems of stuff sliding around on the composite bed and 'bouncing around'. A lot of folks get bed mats to prevent the stuff from sliding around (I have one and works great). But always play it safe and tie stuff down or atleast cover it up with something heavier.

Tailgate up/down/out completely doesn't really do much for gas mileage. The only way to know - is test this yourself on your truck with your driving habits.

Not sure why the tailgate is easily removed....but they're an easy target to get stolen. There are things to help prevent that. Search Pop-n-lock and/or the 'hoseclamp method'.

The weight in the winter...it all depends on YOU and the conditions. I've always put weight in the bed to be on the safe side. However - that weight sucks up gas mileage. I have a 4WD with an LSD - so this year I'm gonna try going without the weight. If you don't have 4WD and no traction devices - you might wanna add some just for peace of mind.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
People just look stupid when they leave their tailgate down.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
People just look stupid when they leave their tailgate down.
Ditto.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
Does leaving the tailgate down really improve gas mileage/is it bad for the truck?
Nope! Tailgate up is better than down. Mythbusters tested it. Twice.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
SLOsurfer is on a distinguished road
SLOsurfer's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SLOsurfer
ditto to these replies, better airflow with the tailgate up.

i had an 01 taco before i bought my 05... i never had problems with anything flying out on my 1st gen, but i've been having a few problems with the 2nd gen. i lost a surfboard on the freeway a few months back, so i had to get some bungies.

if you're carrying anything relatively small, just put it towards the cab and you'll be fine
Old 08-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have any suggestions on a bed mat, i think that would help. whos bright idea was it to make a composite bed anyway?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
anyone have any suggestions on a bed mat, i think that would help. whos bright idea was it to make a composite bed anyway?
Composite = No Rust

Get the Toyota bed mat from here trdparts4u
Old 08-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Tie light/large/high stuff down- It's common sense and good safety practice.

Tailgate thing is been touched on.

It's easy to make the changes to make the trailgate more "permanent"

You don't NEED weight in the bed. I drove a super charged Dodge Dakota 4x4 and had no problems at all with no weight- in the same area that you live in.

It will probably give you a better feeling-a little more sticky I guess- in the rear end of the truck- but you can control the truck without it...You'll be fine either way-just gotta decide what you like better.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is the fact that the tailgate is removable without tools so you dont just end up leaving it down?
No, it's so you'll have an excuse to buy a tailgate lock.

Seriously though, consider one. The fact that they can be easily removed makes them a target for theft. You can get a pop-n-lock for pretty cheap and it's an easy install.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:36 PM   #11
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
yeah they said the only real gain was to get one of those ntes that replace the tailgate. or if you want you could just remove the whole thing all together. save weight if you dont haul stuff. plus if you drive through a foto reinforced light and you have the tailgate down, its harder for them to get your plate #
Old 08-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #12
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Yeh i saw that too. Tailgate down creates more drag.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #13
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
someone needs to test the tailgate myth with a toolbox on. i wonder if they kill our little vortex of air?

why are tailgates so stolen? just for the scrap metal?
only other thing i can think is it's a vicious cycle of tailgate theft
started after some guy had his stolen and needed one so stole another..then that guy had to steal one, then that guy...

if the nets really work, does anyone have a suggestion for a brand that isn't butt ugly and cheap looking?

if someone made one out of stitched nylon webbing (like the large cargo bed nets) i'd consider one.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really like the lightweight rust-free composite bed, but things do slide around. I have a black indoor-outdoor carpet cut to size in the bed that I bought at a carpet store for $15. Beats Toyota's price by a lot.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #15
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
I really like the lightweight rust-free composite bed, but things do slide around. I have a black indoor-outdoor carpet cut to size in the bed that I bought at a carpet store for $15. Beats Toyota's price by a lot.
is it heavy enough on its own or do you have it tacked down somehow?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 PM   #16

I kinda like that things slide in the bed. If, When Im getting to my destination, Im gonna need to get something out, I just poke the throttle before I stop. Then, I get out and everything is at the back of the bed ready for easy removal.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^I can't wait to see you tell us how you "help" your wife out of the truck by making a high speed left turn with the door open.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^I can't wait to see you tell us how you "help" your wife out of the truck by making a high speed left turn with the door open.
Well, there IS a bit of a difference between my Wife and a box of stuff. Not saying I havent thought about it.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #19
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
That's one way to get rid of that high pitched whine in the passenger compartment that many of us seem to have in our vehicles,
Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombot View Post
is it heavy enough on its own or do you have it tacked down somehow?
I cut the $15 carpet to be a tight fit, and no problem with it moving at all.

By the way, you asked about adding weight in the bed during the winter. I don't,I prefer to drive carefully, not drive at all in bad weather, or use 4WD when necessary. If you decide to add weight, consider whether you want the item(s) hitting you in the back of the head in a possible collision. I won't use cement blocks for weight in the back for this reason. Sand bags maybe.