1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibrations and Sluggish Acceleration from Idle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by newtac, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    newtac

newtac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 4WD Double SR5
    I very recently purchased my first Tacoma. An '07 4wd double cab automatic, with around 36k miles on it. In the few days that I have had it, I have noticed two things.

1. When I accelerate slowly from idle, it seems a little sluggish and almost feels like it is stuttering. If I accelerate quicker, it doesn't have this problem, but when I do this my tires sometimes spin or almost hop.

2. During deceleration and mostly braking, I have noticed some vibrations. At first it was happening right around 30-35mph, and it was quite bad. I had the tires rebalanced and rotated so they matched better since there was one oddball tire that had quite a bit more tread than the others. This seemed to fix the major vibration, but I am still noticing some vibrations around 20-25mph now. I don't believe it is, but it almost seems to be somehow engine related and feels like the engine is downshifting and trying to slow me down even more. I have tried a few times to drop it into neutral to see if the problem went away, and it felt like it made a small difference, but something still doesn't feel quite right.

Do these trucks normally have a very smooth ride and smooth acceleration through the gears, or should some of these things I'm feeling just exist and it's something I'll have to get used to?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I would be looking into the stuttering, was the truck properly service before you got it. check air filter, plugs, etc. should run smooth

these newer transmissions dont just coast like years prior, they are computer controlled and once you take your foot off the gas i think it gets ready to slow down or stop.

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    BarefootBandit

BarefootBandit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TC UCA OME 884 5100 TSB+AAL 4.10 V6 6spd 285/75/16
    Is it already lifted?

My truck has those symptoms and they are all a result of the short rear diff gears. larger gears would get rid of the engine vibrations I'm sure

4. Feb 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    newtac

newtac [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 4WD Double SR5
    Thanks for the help. I decided to take it to my local dealer and have them take a look. They wanted to fix the deceleration/braking vibration with a brake job, but I knew that was not the problem. However, there was a TSB issued in July 2008 for a "Driveline Vibration Between 15-25mph" that describes exactly what I am feeling. They ordered the new hardware and I should have it fixed in a couple of days. All covered under the 5/60 drivetrain warranty.

Here is the TSB...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...acoma-auto-v6-access-cad-trd-t-sb-0132-08.pdf

5. Feb 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    Plugs and air filter for tuneup. Maybe fuel filter?

Driveline vibe: get the TSB done and make sure your carrier bearing is "aligned" correctly- even and matchmark on shaft is centered through drainhole in bearing assembly. Fixed me 20-25 mph vibes and most of the takeoff shudder.

Products Discussed in

To Top