Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help on the BHLM

Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
CristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant future

Name: Cristian
CristianTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Help on the BHLM

Ok I started this afternoon. Now I'm a little stuck on this mod. I have taken the headlights out and know I'm not sure what rubber parts to take off before I put it in the oven. Also how to take the things off would help. Like the technique to removing the part. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SmilingMark's Tacoma Gallery
take off ALL the rubber parts !
Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
CristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant futureCristianTRD has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Did you read the how to thread?
Yes, but I couldn't find one that was specific on what to remove and how to remove them. Trust me I wouldn't have started without looking at a write-up. Ha.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingMark View Post
take off ALL the rubber parts !
Yea I know that much... Sorry that I'm not as mechanically inclined as you other folks. Ha. I'm only 16 so I'm still learning some things.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
post a pic of what you have now. that way we can tell what else needs to come off
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTRD View Post
Yea I know that much... Sorry that I'm not as mechanically inclined as you other folks. Ha. I'm only 16 so I'm still learning some things.
Basically, if it's black, it comes off. If I recall, nearly everything either pops right off or will pry off with a screwdriver with a little force.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
the only thing that didnt come off of mine was the rubber weatherstripping along the top of the light. it was glued on
Old 02-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
the only thing that didnt come off of mine was the rubber weatherstripping along the top of the light. it was glued on
Yeah, don't take that off, sorry, forgot about the weather strip.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #11

Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #12

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
the big rubber boot comes off, just pull straight back and it will pop off
Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #13

Old 02-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTRD View Post
3 things left... that big rubber thing in the middle and your bulb. (careful though, don't touch the bulb, set it somewhere safe) then the two black plastic things will pop off. You may need to pry some. Oh, and there is a black thing on one of the mounting arms that comes off too.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Okay, not trying to scare you off or anything, but if you mess it up, know that OEM headlight assemblies are around $325 each. (don't ask me how I know this)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #16

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay, not trying to scare you off or anything, but if you mess it up, know that OEM headlight assemblies are around $325 each. (don't ask me how I know this)
lol

try at a lower temp first and work up from there. and put a piece of cardboard on the oven rack since a lot of people seem to be melting their lights on the rack
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
And when you take them out and you're wrestling with them to get the lens off, put the lens face down on a towel, not the cardboard. Cardboard will leave small scratches on the lens, they polish out but it just adds an extra step.

Edit: This is the write-up I used, it was very helpful!
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-mod.html
Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK27 View Post
lol

try at a lower temp first and work up from there. and put a piece of cardboard on the oven rack since a lot of people seem to be melting their lights on the rack
Definetely use the cardboard! It wasn't the temp that messed me up, it was a small drip of the grey adhesive that I got smack in the middle of the inside of the lens. Rather than being patient and letting it cool and peeling it off, I though industrial strength 3M adhesive remover would do the trick. Note: DO NOT use 3M adhesive remover on an acrylic lens.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #19

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Definetely use the cardboard! It wasn't the temp that messed me up, it was a small drip of the grey adhesive that I got smack in the middle of the inside of the lens. Rather than being patient and letting it cool and peeling it off, I though industrial strength 3M adhesive remover would do the trick. Note: DO NOT use 3M adhesive remover on an acrylic lens.
how hot did you have your oven set at?? mine did not drip any adhesive, it was still really tacky and stretchy when i pulled them apart
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #20

Does it look ready for the oven.? And is that the little plastic thing the thing you were talking about on the mounting arms Mark.?