Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My gas saving idea.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #21
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
I get 16+ city with air, stop and go 20-23 Go and no stop........................
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #22
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with the rpms, i try not to floor the pedal unless i really need to, otherwise the truck just goes smoothly through the changes on the a/t... driving at 70mph @ 1800 rpms
Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #23
Banned
poleman72 is an unknown quantity at this point
poleman72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^Question all you want but you're believing a federal agency over real world numbers. I ask you, what do the feds ever do right?

Anyhow, the numbers posted are legit. I've gotten 23mpg hwy, usually 22mpg. I averaged 22mpg with about 500-600lbs of stuff loaded in the bed and the cab over about 570 miles.
Bite Me Wilson!!
You have no idea how I despise and distrust the US government.

My 2.7L 4-cyl Taco is doing the same mpg (max up to 24 mpg) as what you guys are reporting - and that's going 55 mph average with new tires and proper wheel alignment. So your calculations are incorrect because it doesn't fall within the standard range a V6 Taco would get.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #24
BelchFire is on a distinguished road
BelchFire's Tacoma Gallery
The EPA ratings have been readjusted in recent years (either 07 or 08, I can't remember) to reflect a more realistic AVERAGE for all drivers. They've added A/C use and rapid acceleration to the formula as well as some other things. Naturally, some drivers will get more and some less than the advertised EPA ratings. And as gas gets more and more expensive, I would wager the opinion that you'll see more people EXCEEDING the average than not.

I have an auto V6 and I'm consistently getting in the low 23.X's on combination driving at 55 MPH, max. I measure my mileage on every tank. I'm well over 40 and I drive like I have two kids in car seats in the back of my quad cab. It's all in your right foot and your urgency to get where you're going.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #25
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
I get excited when I get over 16mpg. With the tire, lift and 6-speed, 16-17 is tops for me...
i'm feeling the same pain....and the scan gauge only proves it. but i don't care I wouldn't want to drive anything else
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #26
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Funny to find someone made this thread, I watch my tach and keep it under or at 2K if at all possible.

But I did the deckplate mod and blocked off the intake silencers, and I like the roar. So once in a while I'll still put my foot in it.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #27
Mass is on a distinguished road
Mass's Tacoma Gallery
I do the 2k thing as well and I consistently get 23.5 in mixed driving in my DC Auto. That number doesn't sound too far-fetched based on the number of people who are getting pretty close to that, too.

I realize the trip reading/gas pump reading isn't an exact science, but it's close enough to give you a decent estimate.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #28
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I've heard a lot of people talking of how much of a mileage change a change of exhaust, or intake or tires and wheels will make, etc.

But, I've noticed that no matter what I do to the truck, my mileage is directly and most importantly affected by my right foot and the prudent use of it.

I've kept a rule that maintaining the tach at under 2000 RPM does accelerate the truck sufficiently and holds speeds of up to 75 MPH on the freeway and that's all that I need.

So, I suppose my self imposed rule of keeping the tach under 2K by controlling my desires to drive like a maniac or be affected by bad drivers goes back to the mind and moderating your desires.

DO you agree that merely prudent driving is the best way to save gas regardless of mods?
I have a 08 6spd/6cyl I comute 75 miles 6 days a week 50 city/50 Hwy. I found my self shifting 1st,2nd,4th,6th. Just hit 1250 miles, my MPG has gone from 16.5 to 18.5. It has low end to put around the city in 6th at 1100 RPM @ 35MPH. I am going to check the MPG at after my next oil change. Just changed it at 1000, every thing is smoothing out nicely, the shifting was a little tite at first. With a little luck I hope to get 19-20.