Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there a tool box that fits inside a shell?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a tool box that fits inside a shell?

I see all the tool boxes need the ledge of the side of the truck, but I want to secure stuff inside the shell for even more security.

It's easy to get into a shell, but a locked tool box in the shell is another hurdle.

Are there any tool boxes that will fit into a bed with a shell already?
Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I see all the tool boxes need the ledge of the side of the truck, but I want to secure stuff inside the shell for even more security.

It's easy to get into a shell, but a locked tool box in the shell is another hurdle.

Are there any tool boxes that will fit into a bed with a shell already?
there are lots of companies that make boxes that fit in the bed with a shell on it. try lowes and home depot, and also northern tool and equipment and tractor supply.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
there are lots of companies that make boxes that fit in the bed with a shell on it. try lowes and home depot, and also northern tool and equipment and tractor supply.

Was just at Home Depot, all they had were truck bed boxes that don't fit with a shell.

Tried Northern tool's website and it's not navigable. Just for catalog orders.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...rtable-chests/

http://www.pickuptrucktoolboxes.com/...at_drawers.htm

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DEFLECTA-SH...SCRIPTION.sort
Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.jcwhitney.com/BETTER-BUIL...SCRIPTION.sort

Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
those last two would probably be good.
otherwise, in many cases i think fit wouldn't be the problem, but OPENING would be.

can't say i've ever seen a toolbox in a covered bed, but i don't crawl in many,
and most folks with a covered bed and a locking gate don't think they need a box.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #7

Most of the people I know that have a tool box and a shell, keep the tool box in the rear of the bed, so they can easilly access the box.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Scavenger
zombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to allzombot is a name known to all

zombot's Tacoma Gallery
heh- everyone i know with a topper just throws everything in the back.
a thieves dream, i'm sure, if they don't get impaled by all the loose equipment in there.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombot View Post
a thieves dream, i'm sure, if they don't get impaled by all the loose equipment in there.
Well, I was only speaking of the ones with a topper ANd a tool box. But, Yeah, most that have just a topper throw stuff in the back with no regard.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, my goodness, YES!

Exactly what i was looking for. Thanks fellers. How do these secure to the bed? Are they chained, or strapped, or ?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Yes, my goodness, YES!

Exactly what i was looking for. Thanks fellers. How do these secure to the bed? Are they chained, or strapped, or ?
I have always bolted mine from the bottom.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombot View Post
Most people I know with a shell does the same as well. But some of those easily had the plastic window broken or a door pried open.

I park mine outside and keep cables, tow straps, misc. food, and tools in it, so I must add that extra layer of protection.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 AM   #14
I wanna haul stuff
Turbonium is on a distinguished road

Turbonium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BONES View Post
That's pretty cool. They don't list the Tacoma in the pop down menu, just the Tundra. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to which model of pickup truck that they do list would be a close match to the Tacoma?
Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #16
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
Lowes has this one and a plastic lockable too...... http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...000&lpage=none http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...725&lpage=none The black one looks like you can lock it on the two places(enlarge to 200%) on the front left-right as well as a key pop lock. I am sure it could be bolted from the bottom. Good deal for $55....Rich one more..................... http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...yota&md=Tacoma