Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cabin filter change

Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Halo913 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adrian
Halo913's Tacoma Gallery
Cabin filter change

I looked for sticky but didnt find one. I need to replace my cabin filter and have never done it before. is it hard to do? Anyone change theres that could possibly write a "How to"?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Open the glove box and empty it out. Take the strut off of it then push the sides of the glove and pull it open more. Open the panel on the blower box and take the filter out. The OE filters say what side and direction to put the filter in.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Average JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to beholdAverage JOE is a splendid one to behold

Army: 4ID
Name: Matt
Average JOE's Tacoma Gallery
Here ya go.
Search for "DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter" in the search tab. He has a good write up.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Halo913's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
1. Lower glove box and remove the shock (squeeze the two tabs together where the glove box extends through the shock. And while you're there, you might want to add a screw to the other attaching point of the shock as shown in the pic since the shocks tend to fall off on their own.):

2. Lift the glove box off the dash or just lower it and hold it to keep your stuff from falling out. I unsnap mine, so I can leave everything in it (unsnaps...see side angle below):

3. Open filter door and replace filter (ignore the red marks as I used this picture in making the Moose Filter Mod DIY that's linked in my sig).
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
VTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
VTDave's Tacoma Gallery
While you're there, remember to clean out any junk that's rattling around in your blower motor. Mine had a few pine needles in there. A shop vac cleans it out nicely.

Also, if you go to a generic parts shop, it's helpful to know that the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix use the same cabin filter as the 2nd gen Tacoma. The parts counter guys around me speak Pontiac but not "import."
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
BTW - don't buy them from the dealer.

I got mine for less then $4 per filter and they are made by the company that supplies Toyota (same filter)

OE cabin air filter ($3.62 from LogicSource.com #totafcau)
+1 I use them too.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
got mine at parts store...funny thing the instructions were for a Pontiac Vibe...
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
BTW - don't buy them from the dealer.

I got mine for less then $4 per filter and they are made by the company that supplies Toyota (same filter)

OE cabin air filter ($3.62 from LogicSource.com #totafcau)
Could I get you to double check that address? I am wondering if it changed?

I am due for a new cabin filter and $3.62 sounds like a good deal, I was going to pick one up..
Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Perfect. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Halo913's Tacoma Gallery
Sticky!
Old 02-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
The Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota rebadged.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Halo913's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed my cabin filter and it was dirty! Thanks for this DIY, it really helped!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
zeus7625 is on a distinguished road
Navy: MMCS(SW) Retires
Name: Zeus
zeus7625's Tacoma Gallery
I found it at Rock Auto for $4.08 but the shipping was much less than Logical Source. FYI

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Wash it.....and then find yourself another one.
They're good for atleast 2 washings before they start falling apart.

I always have two filters. One in the truck and one ready to go (after being washed). I change mine about once a year - they get dirty quick.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

Name: Marco
MRW's Tacoma Gallery
How often are youn suppose to replace these? And are there noticeable benefits after the swap?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
LATACOMAGUY is on a distinguished road
Name: Marc
LATACOMAGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I took another try at this and figured it out. I will be placing a screw as suggested, because the bottom tab where the shock pops onto is worn out and shock keeps falling off. One last question. In the pic where he's screwing in the shock to keep it secure; on the top portion of the shock is another hole, but I don't see where the top hole pops on to a tab.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATACOMAGUY View Post
Okay, I took another try at this and figured it out. I will be placing a screw as suggested, because the bottom tab where the shock pops onto is worn out and shock keeps falling off. One last question. In the pic where he's screwing in the shock to keep it secure; on the top portion of the shock is another hole, but I don't see where the top hole pops on to a tab.
The top holes on the shock are not used (my guess is this part is used on other vehicles). Only the one you see where I have the screw going through it. Then the inner part of the shock extends out of the shock and attaches to the glove box (the part you then take on/off when changing...or in my case cleaning...the filter). Don't forget to check out the Moose Filter Mod in my sig below as it'll save you money over time.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
How often does it need changing? I am not sure if my 09.has been changed.