1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tacoma owner.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Umrunner, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    Umrunner

Umrunner [OP] Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC OR Timberland Mica. 6 speed.
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    Well, im happy to say it seems that in the next two weeks, i'll be the proud owner of a 2011 dc or tacoma. Getting it with the 6 speed(never have, and hopefully never will drive an auto), and the likes. I plan to put a topper on it right away, and swap out the tires.
    I have poured over the threads in here researching the matter of tires and toppers. Tons of info out there to say the least.

My post is more for thoughts from the rest of ya. Regarding the topper, anyone have experience with the leer adventure sports package. The cargo net and roof rack alone are very enticing to me.

Tires is a whole ball of wax by itself.
    I currently live in Montana (home of real winters and very nice summers), but will be spending a fair bit of time back in california soon. Im in need of a tire that will work in the winters here when they need to, the dirt and track trails out here that get me to fishing and the likes, and still be rather civilized on the highway.
    From what i can gather, there are a few solid options. BFG at seems to do well, and while less reviewed, so does the goodyear silentarmor from all i can tell. The Duratrack is an option as well (But what, if any affect will i see on the mileage, and the odo readout given the required change in profile size). Any other options are appreciated.
    Its my first new vehicle, (have a 97 4runner right now, 5 speed, with 225k on the clock) and its a big decision. I appreciate any and all input. Cant wait to post some photos when she comes home.

2. Feb 3, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    congrats,
    mine come with bfgoodrich all terrain radials, and i find them just fine for offroad and highway, see if they can put those on your truck,they look
    good,and it won't cost you a ton to change out brand new tires.

3. Feb 3, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    kws129

kws129 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Congrats on the purchase. I can't speak to the topper information. But on teh tire side of things I've had good luck with TOYO Open Country tires. I live in PA (northern) where we have winter as well and these tires perform very well in teh snow etc and have good road manners.

I can also say that the BFG's that come stock on TRD off road tacos are big stinky pieces of poop.

4. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    Stock tires are usually garbage, they pick the lowest bidders to award the contract. The tires on the TRD sport were probably the worst tires I've ever had on a vehicle.

How much are you planning on spending?

5. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Welcome from Bozeman! Your best bets if you want to avoid studs are the Duratracs... they will give you a good offroad profile while still maintaining good highway feel. I have studded Cooper Discoverer S/T studded tires, and I will say im not super impressed

6. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    I have a TRD sport and the stock Dunlops didn't last very long, and they were crap, but they rode well on the highway. My current tires are Bridgestone Revo Dueler AT's. They were highly rated all around and I think they are the best compromise for offroad and highway. They aren't cheap but they are a quality tire. I used them last winter in DC, through two blizzards and several snow storms as well, and they handled well in the snow, much more so than the Dunlops.

Products Discussed in

To Top