Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Composit bed, is there steel under the floor? How do I attach a tool box?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Composit bed, is there steel under the floor? How do I attach a tool box?

I now will get a tool box that will fit into the bed, inside the shell.

It has to be anchored to the bed by drilling holes in the bed to attach the box..

On the Taco, is the bottom steel?

How does one attach a tool box to the bed?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
There should be steel under the bed if not were F$#cked, lol what kind of tool box you getting?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
There should be steel under the bed if not were F$#cked, lol one kind of tool box you getting?

I'm getting one of those aluminum diamond plated ones that will fit inside the bed with the shell on.

I notice many people just throw stuff into their shell and think some thin plastic window will secure it.

So I want stuff to be locked inside the shell for extra security or when I'm kidnapping someone. That's was a joke.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol i hear ya on the kidnapping i mean security. what site you looking at? or do you have one in mind
Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 PM   #5
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...rtable-chests/

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DEFLECTA-SH...SCRIPTION.sort

http://www.jcwhitney.com/BETTER-BUIL...SCRIPTION.sort
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com

This would be my pick, i like the way it sits flush.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/DEFLECTA-SH...SCRIPTION.sort
Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I see you got Revos. How are you liking them?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
To my knowledge, there is no steel underfloor. The points at which I mounted my light bar, were all composite.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so how do you attach and secure a tool box to the bed?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe bolt 'er on down with some big washers underneath? I'm not sure. I'm sure someone who has a toolbox like the one you want will chime in soon enough.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #12
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
OK, so how do you attach and secure a tool box to the bed?
I drilled two holes in the box, dead center lined up, then placed the box squared everything and drilled two holes in the bed. I used two stainless steel bolts with nuts.
A word of advice.....if do-able put a thin layer of plastic/rubber, like that found in Craftsman roll tool boxes on the floor, and the back side (if you put it all the way back). If not the slight movement will mark the bed.
The two bolts for me held great, with no movement, but then I had a few items in it that made it heavy.
Sorry no pic's of install, or set up, this was before I found this GREAT place.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What the others have said. Bolts and some large washers and you will be set.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Alright. Thats it.

Plan is to put down the rubber mat, Drill through the box, mat and bed, 1/2 inch. Use very large washers (2inches?) in diameter, then seal with either spray on undercoat or silicone.

You guys are phucking brilliant.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Rich8419 is on a distinguished road
Rich8419's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I did. However I didn't use silicon. No issue with water here. Might try to find some felt washers later if it becomes a problem.

Rich