Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what are the chances i can get 300K or 20 years out of my tacoma?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
what are the chances i can get 300K or 20 years out of my tacoma?

do you think our second gens can hit 300k miles or 20 years old on original parts?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Dads at 270k on his corolla. It's a 97 and has done only regular maintience. No tranny or engine repairs. Brakes/tires/oil/spark plugs/filters/etc. That Is it. It will make it to 300k. but the interior has gone to shit
Old 02-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Doubtful. New Toyota isn't as good as back in the day Toyota.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
if you take care of it and they're mostly highway miles, it will most likely make it to 300k
Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I guess it would depend on what you'd consider maintenance vs repairs. You'll be replacing bearings, probably pumps (water and fuel), a starter, clutch (manual, maybe full tranny rebuild if you're an auto), head gaskets potentially, batteries, etc... The list gets longer if you live in an area that's heavily salted. That's a long time and a lot of miles. Other items you could consider maintenance are shocks, tires, brake pads, drums, rotors, filters, etc...
Old 02-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Had a 92 Passeo, well build car. Moved through the family ending with my daughter. Only work needed was brakes and a muffler gasket.

I think the Tacoma is built even better and should give long service if cared for.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i guess i should clairfy, obviously you have to replace some parts. i mean 300k on original engine, tranny....
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
rex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrex99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
rex99's Tacoma Gallery
isn't there a video of an econoline hitting 1,000,000 miles somewhere on Youtube?? if a ford can last that long....
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Probably not that great down there in the valley. We get enough moisture in these parts, and it tends to fog over more down there than even in Seattle. You're looking at rust problems for sure.

Do you work mostly in Kent? Commute to Seattle? Wait, you're in the prison aren't you? Just kidding.

I'd say you're taking your chances with bearings and suspension whether you offroad or battle the city potholes. I thought I snapped a shaft the other day!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
there are already some reports of some 2005 tacomas with that many miles.
I would say as long as the frame doesn't rust out and you take care of it, why not?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #12
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Easily if you stay where your truck is unlikely to rust and you will likely save close to or over over $100K if you can make that happen LOL.....Even after major repairs
Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #13
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Original parts? Doubt it. I would think any bolt on items will go out before then. (alternator, starter, water pump, etc..) Engine I think will hit 200K easy but 300K is pushing it. I think the Toyota SR5 trucks in the 80's early 90's would no doubt hit 300K with ease. No doubt all the added gadgets that our trucks have today have made it more difficult to reach that milestone since there's too many chances for problems with the electrical system that controls the engines performance.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
I don't want a large farva!
chiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nice

chiefridr's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you wanna milk it that long? By the time it gets that many clicks, it'll be a piece of shit! I think it'll last that long, but it'll be beat by then.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefridr View Post
Why would you wanna milk it that long? By the time it gets that many clicks, it'll be a piece of shit! I think it'll last that long, but it'll be beat by then.
im going to drive it until it dies for good..
Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking that electrical systems will fail and total out these trucks before 300k. To many systems with two many possibilties for error. And it won't take much for an electrical diagnostic and fix to make it more cost effective to drive something newer once you get into that high of mileage
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
Duck Fan
SalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalemCBR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SalemCBR's Tacoma Gallery
I think the bottom line is, you are going to have to spend some money to make it to 300 k.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
My father had an '88 GMC S10 that went 334k and a '95 Tahoe that went 317k. Neither had any type of significant mechanical failures. Body rusted on the S10, albeit w/ a weak motor, but it was still going! The Tahoe was still going strong, but he traded it in on an '07 pickup. Still amazes me, but goes to show you what regular maintenance can do.
Point being, if those 2 can do it, so can this!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
the ghost
hedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of lighthedman is a glorious beacon of light

hedman's Tacoma Gallery
i had my 97 taco up to 330,000 before i sold it and it ran like a top killed an alternator though (after market stereo and no campasitor?= to much draw) other than that just maintenance like brakes, bushings, u joints and ect.

so i figure that you should be able to hit that mark
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #20
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I hope so. I'll let you know in 2027