1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advise on regearing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bobo_1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    Bobo_1

Bobo_1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobo
    Maryville, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport L-Bed
    This is a Tacoma 09 4x4 TRD Sport. I have the 265 stock tires on aftermarket rims with a 3" lift plus the rear leaf TSB. I have DT LT headers, DT Y-pipe, Banks exhaust, K&N CAI, and URD MAF Calibrator. 14K miles on the truck.

While I gain on the top end I lost some at the bottom and wanting to get that back without going to a S/C mainly because of cost and I don't need to go that fast as I already just got a speeding ticket :eek:

But, I want to be faster off the line and I will be going to at least a 285 tire later.

I have regear a GM rear end so I know what is involved with the rear and getting the ring and pinion gear patterns just right is a major pain for the inexperienced. But, it was done right and I had no issues like allot did that had a shop do it (like gear whining).

I called a local outfit and they gave me a quote on parts (4.88) that is about $677 (includes shipping) and they are trying to find someone to source the work to and get me a quote.

Another online outfit gave me a quote of $1280 (4.55). The differences are what I think are install kits.

So, either one is including parts not needed, or the other one doesn't know what is needed. I assume I need ring, pinion, shims, and an install kit which would included bearings, seals, etc.

Anyone regeared and can shed some light on this?

How hard is it to regear the front? A royal pain, don't do it if you never have, only consider it if you have done a rear before?

Thanks.

2. Feb 3, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    My ADVICE is to wait until you get 285's then see how bad it is. I have 265/75/16's w/ lift right now and will be switching to 285's soon and I didn't really notice a difference when going from 265/70 to 265/75

IMO with these trucks any new gearing will just lead to more wheelspin with our light rear ends unless you have 33+ tires.

Products Discussed in

To Top