1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

picking up my leer 100XR soon need some advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ross123, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Feb 4, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    ross123

ross123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    alright im going to pick up my leer 100XR soon and just was wondering what some of the common problems people have with these caps are, so i can give it a proper inspection before i leave the place.

2. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Check along the bottom edges of the cap (skirt) for chips, look up along this edge. Sometimes there can be thin spots and cause problems/cracking down the line.

Check all the hardware for tightness. Cap side gas prop mounts and "D" catches, they are held in with tappers and need to be tight. If loose it will cause the screws over time to wear the holes larger to the point you have no choice but to make new ones. Also make sure the rotary latches (door side) are adjusted properly with the "D" catch the only contact between the two should be at the rotating part of the latch.

Look along window edges and make sure they are not peeling the paint along the radius/corners. Sometimes after they are tightened they can dig into the paint and cause future paint issues.

Leer caps for the most part are well put together and a good dealer will have these type things taken care of before you even see it.

Hope you like your cap, good luck.

3. Feb 5, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Wow, I can't really think of anything. I've had my LEER 100XQ for 2 1/2 years now and have had no problems at all. :)

4. Feb 5, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    ross123

Member:
    fort bragg
    yeah it seems to be for every one person that has issues with there leer there's one more that loves there's.so I hope I'm in the "have no issues" category.

5. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    Me too! I also just ordered the 100XR

6. Feb 5, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    ross123

Member:
    fort bragg
    When are you picking yours up? Mine should be in next week

7. Feb 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Possibly on the 18th, I was told it may come in that day.

8. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Finally got the leer today, only took a month from the time I ordered it. So far so good.
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 8, 2011 at 3:01 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Nice. I've had a 100XR on the truck for a year now. Not one problem. It even survived a dime and quarter sized hail storm. That hail destroyed the hood and roof (both had to be replaced) but not one dent or crack on the shell. It did shatter the 3rd brakelight though. Bought a new one for $49 ... very easy to replace.

10. Mar 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Only two weeks and one of the LED's went out on the brake light. Would never have known if a friend wasn't following me. Dealer replaced the assembly under warranty. No hassle there.

11. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM
    Umrunner

Umrunner Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC OR Timberland Mica. 6 speed.
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    Had my 100xr on for a while now.
    I have no complaints at all. The cap is great, fits great, and works for what i need it for. The adventure sports package is quite nice. The overhead cargo net is kinda funky, but holds my dog's bed when she's not back there, so hey, it serves a purpose.
    Can't complain.

12. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.

That Leer looks great on your truck!

13. Mar 23, 2011 at 12:48 AM
    plee33

plee33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Sacramento, CA.
    Vehicle:
    SWB TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    SnugTop SuperSport Shell, BedRug, OME Heavy Duty Lift Kit, Weathertech Liners, more to come....
    I'm thinking about a upgrading to a Leer too. How much did it cost you?

14. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    Had my 100XR for about 9 months and now problems at all. I did have to adjust the release cable on one side of the door when I first got it as the catch would pop open after being jarred while driving, but it hasn't given me any problems since.

Excellent caps IMO.

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I paid 1500 plus tax. It has the removable front sliding window, interior led light, and felt head liner. I could add later the remote lock which works off the Tacoma Key fob. That's kinda pricey.

16. Apr 12, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    When I had the brake light replaced on the shell I think the repair guy scratched the door glass. I saw these scratches while washing the rear window this afternoon and wondered if someone had purposely done this or someone had leaned something against it at the hardware store. (I've seen people do that) I could'nt figure how it would happen til I was looking at the photo thumbnail in the picture folder and right next to it was the photo of the brake light, then it dawned on me that the brake light is fitted from the outside of the shell and the guy who did the repair probably stood on the bumper and leaned against the glass...belt buckle! I do recall seeing a footprint on the bumper that day and thinking it odd. :annoyed:
    [​IMG]

17. Nov 11, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Seattle Clam

Seattle Clam Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRDsport
    Thread resurrection!! Anyone having problems with the latching mechanism on their 100XR, or similar, Leer cap? I got the damn thing so I can haul my dogs around in the back and not have them mess up my interior, but the hounds have no problem opening the canopy door from the inside, whether the door is locked or not. This is a huge safety issue. I asked my dealer if the cable pull hardware could be replaced with a simpler latch set-up and they just said "No". Guess they were done with getting my money, so too bad for me. I've contacted Leer but not heard back- was just wondering if by chance anyone here had modded their cap to a different latch type. I've found some parts online and am willing to give it a go, just looking for any input from someone who's gone through it already. Thanks

18. Nov 11, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Interesting. This is the first I've heard of someone having this problem. I should be getting my 100xr next week and I sure hope I don't have the same problem. My golden's can be pretty crafty when they want something bad. What about using a dog repellant type substance on the latch? Or cayenne pepper, etc?

19. Nov 12, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Seattle Clam

Seattle Clam Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRDsport
    Good thought- I've got some of that bitter apple stuff somewhere & will give it a shot. Though I'm really not sure if they're pulling the cable with their mouths or just bumping into it enough that the door pops open. This cap I have was in stock and the right color- I was in a rush because my old truck was going away. If I'd had the time to wait, and understood how this latch mechanism works, I would've gone with a different model.

20. Nov 12, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    DueNorth

DueNorth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 BSP TRD Sport DCSB 6sp
    Try sitting in the box with the tailgate up and the back glass down. You'll be able to fiddle around with the mechanism to see exactly how the dogs are opening it. Or you may just have to catch your dog in the act and then discipline them accordingly. That bitter apple stuff may be the way to go. I've used it on stuff around the house with some measure of success.

I plan on cutting the screens out along the sides and bottom of the sliders so that i can possibly velcro the screen to the carpet ceiling. That way my dogs will be able to stick there heads out the windows and help keep them preoccupied and i can still drop the screens back in place when i plan on sleeping back there. Once i actually have the shell in my possession i should be able to figure something out.

Products Discussed in

To Top