1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RPMs don't drop when shifting 4-5th

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mclapperton, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sep 1, 2008 at 4:58 PM
    mclapperton

mclapperton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I have a manual 5 spd, 2.7l '08 prerunner. It only happens when shifting from 4th to 5th. When I push in clutch, RPMs don't return to idle. They'll stay where ever they were when I went to make the 4-5 transition. Kept clutch disengaged at one point and revs stayed at 3.5k. It will stay there until shifted and clutch engaged or if I give a quick blip to the throttle. Anyone else experience this problem? Seems to be worse at higher elevations. It has done it from day one. No check engine light and other than that it's a great truck. Has 4k miles on it now. Thanks. By the way this is my first post. Lots of great info on here.

2. Sep 1, 2008 at 5:12 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Welcome- And I totally dig your avatar.
    As far as the shifting- It's odd that you are only noticing it 4 -> 5. It's an emissions thing for the engine to run high for a few seconds max after the clutch to burn out the cylinders....but only seeing it 4 -> 5 is odd....

3. Sep 1, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    red06toy

red06toy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Worcester MA
    Vehicle:
    Impulse red OR, 2.5 lift
    2.5 toytec, bilstein 5100 black grille, black lights, partially shaved decals remaning ones black, , trd fj wheels, sirius, Ipod interface, pre-filter delete
    My truck does it too, you get used to it guess...OVER THE LINE! Mark it zero Donnie.

4. Sep 1, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    chevys

chevys Member

Member:
    All newer cars and trucks with standard trannys have the hanging rpm issue between shifts. It can be fixed but would take a little experimentation. See this thread for details.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18330

I know it works on these cars and I have know of people who have done this mod on 4 cylinder Ford rangers and it worked. If I bought a taco this would be one of the first things I would set out to do because I hate how the throttle does not close completely like a carbed engine. It actually makes it harder to drive smoothly when the rpms hang up imo.

Maybe somebody here could experiment a little and come up with the proper size restrictor plate.

5. Sep 4, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    mclapperton

mclapperton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Thanks guys. I figured I shouldn't worry about this. It's just that my '98 tacoma didn't do this. I've come to expect certain quirks from vehicles and just live with it. Thanks again for the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top