Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RPMs don't drop when shifting 4-5th

Old 09-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
RPMs don't drop when shifting 4-5th

I have a manual 5 spd, 2.7l '08 prerunner. It only happens when shifting from 4th to 5th. When I push in clutch, RPMs don't return to idle. They'll stay where ever they were when I went to make the 4-5 transition. Kept clutch disengaged at one point and revs stayed at 3.5k. It will stay there until shifted and clutch engaged or if I give a quick blip to the throttle. Anyone else experience this problem? Seems to be worse at higher elevations. It has done it from day one. No check engine light and other than that it's a great truck. Has 4k miles on it now. Thanks. By the way this is my first post. Lots of great info on here.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
red06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to beholdred06toy is a splendid one to behold

red06toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclapperton View Post
I have a manual 5 spd, 2.7l '08 prerunner. It only happens when shifting from 4th to 5th. When I push in clutch, RPMs don't return to idle. They'll stay where ever they were when I went to make the 4-5 transition. Kept clutch disengaged at one point and revs stayed at 3.5k. It will stay there until shifted and clutch engaged or if I give a quick blip to the throttle. Anyone else experience this problem? Seems to be worse at higher elevations. It has done it from day one. No check engine light and other than that it's a great truck. Has 4k miles on it now. Thanks. By the way this is my first post. Lots of great info on here.
My truck does it too, you get used to it guess...OVER THE LINE! Mark it zero Donnie.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
chevys is on a distinguished road
chevys's Tacoma Gallery
All newer cars and trucks with standard trannys have the hanging rpm issue between shifts. It can be fixed but would take a little experimentation. See this thread for details.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18330

I know it works on these cars and I have know of people who have done this mod on 4 cylinder Ford rangers and it worked. If I bought a taco this would be one of the first things I would set out to do because I hate how the throttle does not close completely like a carbed engine. It actually makes it harder to drive smoothly when the rpms hang up imo.

Maybe somebody here could experiment a little and come up with the proper size restrictor plate.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
mclapperton is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mclapperton's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I figured I shouldn't worry about this. It's just that my '98 tacoma didn't do this. I've come to expect certain quirks from vehicles and just live with it. Thanks again for the input.