Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cheap Upgrades to Gain HP and Torque

Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #61
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
Doug 2000 - Thanks for that explanation.....I had previously been misinformed apparently about the explanation for the decrease in reported bhp and torque. We had a '94 4-Runner...we fondly called "The Lead Sled", but it was a reliable hauler...we now have a '04 4-Runner with the 4.0 and love it! Much better powered and they are just so darned reliable!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #62
06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Cornelius Fire Department and Metro West Ambulance
Name: Robert
06TRDZombieHunter's Tacoma Gallery
FYI

[QUOTE=acdronin;3016749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808matt View Post
so you went from an underpowered truck to a truck that "hauls ass" just by installing a intake filter, URD maf cal. and catback exhaust?[/QUOT
For a 5000lb truck, yeah, it hauls ass when i want it to. I,ve got 285/75/17 snow tires on it so spinning tires is out of the question. The kicker was that I put the CAI and intake on first and watched my MPG go to hell. The MAF thingy corrected that, it's basically back to where it was prior to the CAI. It was the CAI that made the biggest difference, throttle response is much quicker, with the throttle wide open it just keeps pulling and pulling with no end in site.
It is my feeling that there really is going to be a little more on tap when I put on the shortys and Y tube, the stock shit has all these funky angles and there is a factory crimp in the Y pipe. Gas dynamics is not all that different from fluid dynamics which is what my job is. The smoother the pipe run, the less turbulence which means less back pressure. I've read a lot of posts from people here about how CAI's, exhausts and the MAF thingy is a waste of money, okay, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I go by what I know, the throttle response is quicker and the truck goes faster, period.
oh yeah, the exhaust note is nice, I jumped in my truck this morning at safeway, fired her up and set off a car alarm two spaces down from me this morning. Parking garages are fun too.

I agree with the fluid dynamics being like gas... or vise versa. Im getting Y-pipe and exhaust from there back done this weekend. I would advise researching or crunching some numbers so that you maintain some back pressure.. Our exhaust systems need some to maintain a good low end torque number and you dont want to ruin the scavenging effect by putting huge piping and slowing the velocity of the gases. Good luck!