1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

the stealership jipped me

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awoit, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sep 4, 2008 at 3:51 AM
    Angus_NB

Angus_NB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverview, NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tundra DC SR5 4x4
    Some dealers will hold the valet key for your 'convenience'.
    It does not limit horsepower.
    All Tacomas in Canada have the engine immobilizer. Is it an option in the US?

2. Sep 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM
    Caddmannq

Caddmannq MotoNerd

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport DC LB
    Undercover toneau
    Don't you love that crap? It's like getting a "courtesy call" from some mortgage broker just as you're sitting down to eat.

Too bad. I thought it might actually do something useful.

It only comes with the up-scale option packages. You don't get it on the base-level trucks.

3. Sep 4, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    msujgw

msujgw Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    speedway blue prerunner trd sport,
    you got it backwards , the grey key is the vallet key which cant be copied, the other two keys are considered the master keys and can be copied (all three are chip keys)

4. Sep 4, 2008 at 9:02 AM
    Hoofhearted

Hoofhearted C5 Meter Minder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACB 4V6
    You need a black key (master) to start the key registration process
    to duplicate keys. The valet should open the drivers door, and
    start the truck.

5. Sep 27, 2008 at 3:59 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    :rofl:I'm new here and was just browsing around....but to answer this
    Trucks with the immobilizer will have a flashing symbol with a key shape next to the passenger air bag sensor on the dash under the radio and above the ac controls, it flashes when the truck is off and stops flashing when a key with a chip inside is near the ignition. If you have this then only a key programmed for that truck will start the truck.

All the keys have the chip inside, it is necessary to start the truck. Black keys can be copied without the id tag #, little metal tag that should have come with your keys, grey key can not be copied without the tag #. If you lose the black key and only have the gray key without the tag # your truck will have to be reprogrammed for all new keys, if you lose the gray key then toyota can make a new key from the black one without reprogramming the entire truck. I was told a new key from the dealer is about $100-200, reprogramming is more $$. I use the gray key and keep the black as a spare. (edit: by copied I mean a new key made that will start the truck, they all can be copied for a key that will only open doors)

Ask the people in the parts or service area they are the ones who deal with this system and understand it, the sales department people don't know what they are taking about for the most part. I was looking for a 4x4 and the sales person didn't know that a 'prerunner' couldn't be a 4x4 :der:.

6. Sep 27, 2008 at 4:32 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    I had a key copied at Lowe's last weekend just to have a key to get into the truck to get my "keys". I keep it in my wallet. The nice gent. at Lowe's told me that the key has a chip. I think he put it in a device that had a light that told him this (but I knew yes). Any a who, The key gets me in the truck so I'll have a nice dry place to hangout. It will not start the truck. (had to do it, I just had to). It'll crank but no start. So, after fiddling around with that, I placed the new blank key back into the ignition, placed the coded key on the dash and turned the ignition. Viola!, the truck started. Have yet to see how far away the key would work from or if I removed the coded key would the truck shut off. I'll have to see.

That's it.

7. Sep 27, 2008 at 5:00 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    :D Yup the chipped key just has to be near the ignition for it to start moving it won't shut it down once running though.
    I went to Lowes and they refused to make me even a copy for the doors, said it would screw up the chipped key, I told them it wouldn't but they still wouldn't do it. I saw a commercial (forget the business) that said they could duplicate chipped keys, worth a try if they are cheaper than the dealer. Good thing I know someone in the parts department.

Oh and I only got 2 keys from the dealer, where is my 3rd! I got jipped :rant:.

Products Discussed in

To Top