1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sanity Check Thread (new tires, 5100's, TSB)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by netmagi, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Ok..

So my dealership got the TSB springs for the rear and I'm scheduled to go in this coming Tuesday. I figured it was time to get my arse in gear and swap these shocks out in the front.

I started by planning on pulling the tie rod end + sway bar, but that damn tie rod end ball joint wasn't going *anywhere*. Gave up and pulled the ball joint for the UCA and tapped the flat part at the joint and it dropped down without too much sweat.

Compressed my springs and swapped the shocks, but it looks "crooked" when back together. The top plate never separated from the spring. It all stayed "stuck together" so I know the position didn't shift, but looking at the boot and the angle of the top plate vs. the bottom of the new shock it's just not straight. Also, the rubber piece at the top plate looks smushed out. You can see from the dirt on it that it's always been like this. It's not something new as of today :)

I guess I can re-compress the spring, pull it apart and re-check everything. I haven't pulled the other side apart at all yet to know what it looks like in comparison. Should the top plate appear to be in alignment with the rest of the shock body (like a 45 degree angle all around), or does the act of mounting it up straighten it out somewhat? Does the rotation of the shock assembly matter when re-installing?

Planning on finishing this tomorrow morning. . help.
    :confused:

IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg

2. Feb 27, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
  3. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Decided to take apart the other side and compare the shock assembly to see how it looks (especially the rubber piece on the plate at the top).

Now I can't get the darn UCA ball joint out on this side. . . soooooo frustrating

I've sprayed it with WD-40 and I'm smacking it on the flat spot with a framing hammer. Won't budge.

How does Toyota do it?

4. Feb 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    There is a god, he loves me, and his name is grandpop :)

I went back out yesterday to hit on it some more, and it still didn't budge. I was sitting there pondering what to do, and I remember seeing some things that look like pullers for something in and among the tools I'd inherited from my grandfather.

Went back inside, rummaged through my stuff and found the tool pictured below which worked PERFECTLY. Not sure if this is what it's intended for, but I put it on, hand tightened it, and it popped out just I was reaching the maximum amount of force I could apply to the bar at the botttom without getting something to increase leverage :D:D:D

[​IMG]

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Got the TSB done now as well, and my new tires put on (Hankook ATM's 265 75 16)

[​IMG]

6. Mar 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    TacoManJay

TacoManJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Ashland, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Off-Road DC SB
    Bed Mat, WeatherTech Mats, Gator Tri-Fold Tonneau
    so are they getting you a colormatched bumper?

is that picture with your bilsteins on in the front? i have mine at 1.75 here's what it looks like after the TSB and the front shock install. no vibes!!!

i need some new tires soon!

[​IMG]

7. Mar 1, 2011 at 9:02 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Nah they put a new chrome one on. The pic is 5100's @ .85 and rear TSB done w/265 75 16's. I'm happy :)

Products Discussed in

To Top