1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How would you seal you 2 gen to keep water out?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jason1kyle, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Feb 6, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    jason1kyle

jason1kyle [OP] commander101

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    A buddy and I both had problems with our cabs getting flooded and wanted to figure out a way to seal the truck. I was thinking of putting an extra layer of weather stripping around the doors which I think would seal them fine and another guy on here told me there were 4 plugs under the trck that would need to be sealed aswell. Does anyone out there know about this or has anyone done this and tested it? Thanks

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    You must be going through some pretty deep shit to get water in the cab. I have gone through some pretty deep water crossings and haven't gotten anything inside.

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    77 series k&n 1inch throttle body spacer dual in single out catback exhaust (exhaust pros)
    Yeah i have heard from other people with 2 gens that say the same thing and i've heard alot of people who have had the same problem i did. When it happend to me the water was about 2"s above the door maybe more and it came right in. My buddy the water was abot 5"s above the door and his didnt get as bad as mine but water still came in.

4. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
  5. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  6. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    if you have water coming in the cab you have a lot bigger problems then the cab. the bearings are not going to last and mud and sand will get into everything. my advice is to keep it out of all deep mud and water.

7. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    lol awesome if you cant duck it f*** it

8. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Old trick was to use pipe insulation around door edge, tape corners and remove when done wheelin. Can still close doors too.

9. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    now much of a problem in the mall parking lot........................

10. Feb 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    well i dont go out and try and find the deepest hole bt i am still gonna go wheelin and sometimes its deeper than you think. I just wanna make sre that next time I'm covered and maybe help other tacoma world members prevent it from happening to them.

11. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you check your mud holes before going in? Or do you just dive right in?

You're NEVER COVERED and it'll never give you an excuse to go into deeper holes.

Do you know what to do (or not do) if the engine stalls while you're in a mud hole?

12. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You had me until you got to the bold part. Always ALWAYS check into the holes you are going to drive thru. There can be all sorts of nifty shit under the water (tree stumps, rocks, dead bodies, washers and dryers, etc)-Go storming blindly into a hole with a household appliance or a tree into- Your radiator is toast and you engine won't be far behind it.

I'd spend the time figuring out how to let water in and not have to worry about it (Carpet outta the truck, Rhinoline the bottom, drains, weatherproof seats, etc) rather than try to seal it up if you are going to make mud/water crossings a regular thing....

13. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    jc08taco

jc08taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    08 silver dc TRD sport
    Extra weather stipping would not seal the door. There are weep holes on the inside bottom edge of the door. Water would go in through there and come through the door panel as well as flood your door spaeker.

14. Feb 6, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    jason1kyle

Member:
    JOHNSON CITY, TN
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab trd sr5
    yeah i do normally check the holes but i dont go walking throgh them and the hole i got flooded out on along with my buddy wassnt as deep the day before just saying that i would like to find a way to make the truck water sealed just incase i find myself in too deep of water not saying i am gonna go 40 miles an hour through every river, creek, and mud hole i find

Yeah i know about the holes in the doors that water will get in and was thinking about trying to seal those up too and put the wather stripping down low enough to where it would stop the water before it got to the speaker area. I dunno i'm just brain storming here and looking for ideas.

15. Feb 7, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I wouldn't worry about water in the cab. You'll be spending more money & time fixing all the mechanical issues than having your carpet cleaned.

Just saying.....

Do some research on hydrolocked engines - what not to do, what to do, etc.

16. Feb 7, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    I say weld the doors shut.

17. Feb 7, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    1. Put some waterproofing silicon on the all the seals.
    2. There are rubber plugs in the floor that open up to inside, you want those sealed too. Paint over them to hold them in place but when you need to knock them in they will.
    3. Engine compartment plugs, to inside the cab, they need to be sealed as well with silicone grease or whatever silicon you can find that holds to temps.
    4. before crossing water set your air in the cab to push air inside and keep windows close, that should create small positive pressure inside the cab to lessen water flow.

18. Feb 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    Only thing you can do is pressurize the cab. If you have air leaking out you can't have water leaking in. At the very least close your windows and blast your fan (not exactly the pressurizing I'm talking about but it'll work somewhat).

19. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    there are holes in the floor that allow water to come in. check the pics of a member named oswego. he has pics of himself getting flooded and how he did his best to try to prevent it in the future. its not possible to water prrof the cab,,,,

20. Feb 7, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    nice sig pic

Products Discussed in

To Top