Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First Post and oil filter rant

Old 09-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
mlcasey is on a distinguished road
mlcasey's Tacoma Gallery
First Post and oil filter rant

Hi everybody this is my frist post. I bought my Taco about a month ago. Its a 2008 red D Cab TRD sport 6spd. I rolled over 1200miles last week and decieded to go ahead and change the oil and oil filter (even though i know its not in the manual i just wanted to get any metal flakes out asap) When I first saw the oil filter I thought sweet it will be easy to get to and it had that nice little catch with what I thought was a drain tube on the bottom. Little did I know that was acctually a pluged tube and didnt drain the oil rather all the oil from the filter got all over my belt, radiator hoses, oil cooler and down on my skid plate. I wiped most of it up and havnt had any problems or smoke yet. I was just wondering if any body else found this problem the hard way. Im planning on taking off the cap and putting a tube on there so it drains out under my truck. Thanks

mlcasey
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I found this out the hard way too. What I do now is to wrap a microfiber shop towel around the body of the holder. It absorbs the most, the best.

Then I take another microfiber and have it at the ready and unscrew the filter, once off, I wipe right away.

I was under the assumption that the filter, because of the way it was oriented with the opening down, had ALL the oil drained from it, but there still some residual left.

Now I know. The position of the filter is conveneint though. Not behind the block under the car.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
mudduck will become famous soon enough

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt that would happen either. good to know going into my first oil change.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I use and empty water bottle to catch the oil. Before you remove the filter get an empty water bottle. Pull the rubber plug then wedge the bottle down where it can catch the oil, finally remove the filter it should all drain out.
+1

Quote:
Little did I know that was acctually a pluged tube and didnt drain the oil rather all the oil from the filter got all over my belt, radiator hoses, oil cooler and down on my skid plate.
You might want to take her down and steam clean the A/C clutch to make sure there is no oil left on it it is right below the oil filter I have seen a few fried clutch's because of this.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Gene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of lightGene563 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Mine doesn't have any line on it, only the open nipple on the filter drain catch. I was going to run tubing down by the drain plug, but the water bottle idea might be better.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
MotoNerd
Caddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud ofCaddmannq has much to be proud of

Caddmannq's Tacoma Gallery
Good info. I wondered how this thing would drain without making a mess.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I find ingenious, drain the oil filter first, I got my tube from the auto part store, 3.5 feet in length, then the oil pan,take your time, and the mess will be very small if any
Old 09-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I just get one of the neighborhood kids to lie on the ground under the truck with their mouth open. Works like a charm.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I use and empty water bottle to catch the oil. Before you remove the filter get an empty water bottle. Pull the rubber plug then wedge the bottle down where it can catch the oil, finally remove the filter it should all drain out.
Haven't had to change my oil yet, but that seemed like the obvious solution to me upon my first inspection of the oil filter and catch.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
4 foot rubber 3/8" hose from Ace Hardware. $1.00 and no mess.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I have a 20oz pepsi bottle sitting in the barn just to fit under the nipple once I pop the cap off and crack the seal on the filter. Works perfectly. Certainly less mess than ANY other vehicle I've changed the oil on.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, Just strange to me that some folks don't get the concept of changing the oil. Anyway I just drain it from the oil pan and then use the stuffed rag to cram down in the lip until after the filter is replaced.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #14
mlcasey's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the rag thing might would work if your oil filter was empty cause that was alot of oil. Most of stayed in the catch or ended up in the skid plate where I just wiped it up with like 3 of those blue shop towels.

I think Im going to do what chris4x4 said and just run the tube I just hope it doesnt get dirt in it and get clogged or it will be the same problem all over again.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
Angus_NB has a spectacular aura aboutAngus_NB has a spectacular aura aboutAngus_NB has a spectacular aura about

Angus_NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcasey View Post
Hi everybody this is my frist post. I bought my Taco about a month ago. Its a 2008 red D Cab TRD sport 6spd. I rolled over 1200miles last week and decieded to go ahead and change the oil and oil filter (even though i know its not in the manual i just wanted to get any metal flakes out asap) When I first saw the oil filter I thought sweet it will be easy to get to and it had that nice little catch with what I thought was a drain tube on the bottom. Little did I know that was acctually a pluged tube and didnt drain the oil rather all the oil from the filter got all over my belt, radiator hoses, oil cooler and down on my skid plate. I wiped most of it up and havnt had any problems or smoke yet. I was just wondering if any body else found this problem the hard way. Im planning on taking off the cap and putting a tube on there so it drains out under my truck. Thanks

mlcasey
You didn't know it was plugged. So were you intending on letting the oil from the filter just run out on the ground?
The water / soda bottle idea works well.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
mlcasey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You didn't know it was plugged. So were you intending on letting the oil from the filter just run out on the ground?
The water / soda bottle idea works well.
Yeah...NO i had the oil pan down there and thought there was a tube running down there somewhere and was going to move it once i figured out where it was coming from. I also dont change my oil in the dirt it would have just made a puddle on the painted concrete floor that i would quickly put oil dry on.