1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sidewall tool box?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BelchFire, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Sep 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM
    BelchFire

BelchFire [OP] Member

Member:
    "Right" Coast
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 QuadCab
    A.R.E. Tonneau
    A LOOOOOONG time ago, I saw a brochure for a company that modified your truck bed into a toolbox. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Basically the sides of the bed opened up from the outside and the wall of the bed was filled with shelves. The inside of the bed remained the same. The toolbox was the empty space between the outside panels and the inside of the bed. It locked, of course, and was hinged on top with nitro cylinders to hold the side wall up when it was open. The latch (and lock IIRC) were on bottom so when it was closed, the only thing you could see was the hinge. Coolest thing ever! Has anyone ever seen anything like that for a Taco (for that matter, has anyone ever seen this at all?)

2. Sep 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Sounds pretty cool but that is new to me, most commercial trucks with heavy duty tool boxes are domestics, although I am starting to see a lot of heavy duty trucks powered by diesels by International, Freightliner, and peterbuilt, these are smaller chasis trucks for there brand, but bigger than a ford or chevy.

3. Sep 2, 2008 at 3:30 PM
    BelchFire

BelchFire [OP] Member

Member:
    "Right" Coast
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 QuadCab
    A.R.E. Tonneau
    jedi,

The neat thing about this conversion is that they use(d) the existing sidewalls, not a boring, industrial looking flat panel. I wish I knew more about it. I'm sure it's not cheap, but I'd give it some serious consideration while the truck is new.

Products Discussed in

To Top