Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Purchasing a 2011-2012 Tacoma, Need Some Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Purchasing a 2011-2012 Tacoma, Need Some Help

Hi guys,

Below is an intro to my vehicle experience. Need some help deciding what to get on the Tacoma straight from the dealership and what not to. Also included are things that are already set in my decision.

Short intro, you can skip this paragraph if you want: I'm new to the Toyota world, never actually owned one before. I've had a LOT, and I mean a LOT of trucks/SUVs. In high school I had 1995 Jeep Wrangler that got passed from brother to brother. Drove it from 2004-2006. Then got hit by some idiot and repaired it. In the meantime drove my moms 2004 Explorer 4x4. Then back to the Jeep for a few months before college. Then at college drove my brother's 2003 Explorer Sport since my parents decided to get him a graduation gift aka the last car they'd pay for. My dad wanted a new truck 6 months later and so his excuse to my mom is he wanted me to have a new truck and gave me his 2003 F150 4x2. Then got that totalled, and moved up to a Dodge 5.7 L Hemi (4x4 of course). Then the gas mileage killed of course and my dad bought a 2009 Chevy Malibu of all things (first car we've owned since I was born). I took off to medical school in the caribbean and he gave my little brother the car. Drive the Jeep on my breaks back. Meaning I am now without a car that can make highway drives and my parent's have moved to that "graduation gift" and looking for a truck with payments between 500-600. I've looked at the Tacomas and they look really sweet. I remember guys getting stuck on the beach where we would go offroading and the Toyota guys sitting there waiting to pull the idiots out. They pittied me in my 2.5 liter, 4 cyclinder and pulled me out on occasion, but charged the tools with their huge V8 Chevys/Dodges/Fords that got themselves stuck in impossible situations. So mainly 4x4, crew/double/full cab, Jeep was manual, others automatic. Like that the Tacoma is a crew/double/full cab truck, but not huge (which is a plus, probably got used to being in the Wrangler) and in a reasonable price range.



Now to the point:

Getting a Black Tacoma, 4x4 Double Cab, 4.0L V6... questions are:

  1. V6 TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL Audio - all the gadgets look cool, just curious is the upgraded suspension that great? Audio a lot better, since I plan on upgrading/adding to it eventually with some subs? How big is that backup camera screen and where is it located? Does this also come with the TRD intake and TRD Braking kit? It's not listed online as part of the TRD package while doing "Build Your Own," but is under the Toyota Tacoma Accessories page.
  2. Tow Package - Worth it?
  3. Classic Manual/Automatic question - I've driven manual and like it, spend most of my time on the road, but like the options to off-road since I'm in Texas. Quite simply, I won't do something in my truck I know it can't handle and will end up getting me stuck. Tacoma shouldn't have that problem. Any manual I've driven other than the Jeep has been cars and the shifting has felt completely different (I'll need to test a Tacoma manual when I'm back in the states)... I guess my question is would you recommend manual or automatic considering I like manual, but I've never had to go through driving long distance (more than 2 hours) on the highway? Also remember, I was in a half door, no top, lifted Jeep getting knocked around so it was an interesting 2 hour drive.
  4. T | X Package / T | X Pro Package Packages both ha- ve the same rims/tires except one has a tube step and stainless steel exhaust tip, the other has a cat-back exhaust? Just making sure that's right.
If you could just give answers to 1, 2, 3 and 4 I'd appreciate it. Any more in depth discussion is welcome.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
crf69's Avatar
Name: Ryan
Joined: May 2010, #37348
Location: Ohio
Age: 33
Gender: Dude
Posts: 3,573
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
welcome and JUST DO IT!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
ARC ARC is offline
Senior Member
ARC is on a distinguished road
Army: MGS Gunner, 1-27INF 25th ID
Name: Andrew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50561
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 125
ARC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspropst View Post
Hi guys,


Getting a Black Tacoma, 4x4 Double Cab, 4.0L V6... questions are:

  1. V6 TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL Audio - all the gadgets look cool, just curious is the upgraded suspension that great? Audio a lot better, since I plan on upgrading/adding to it eventually with some subs? How big is that backup camera screen and where is it located? Does this also come with the TRD intake and TRD Braking kit? It's not listed online as part of the TRD package while doing "Build Your Own," but is under the Toyota Tacoma Accessories page.
  2. Tow Package - Worth it?
  3. Classic Manual/Automatic question - I've driven manual and like it, spend most of my time on the road, but like the options to off-road since I'm in Texas. Quite simply, I won't do something in my truck I know it can't handle and will end up getting me stuck. Tacoma shouldn't have that problem. Any manual I've driven other than the Jeep has been cars and the shifting has felt completely different (I'll need to test a Tacoma manual when I'm back in the states)... I guess my question is would you recommend manual or automatic considering I like manual, but I've never had to go through driving long distance (more than 2 hours) on the highway? Also remember, I was in a half door, no top, lifted Jeep getting knocked around so it was an interesting 2 hour drive.
  4. T | X Package / T | X Pro Package Packages both ha- ve the same rims/tires except one has a tube step and stainless steel exhaust tip, the other has a cat-back exhaust? Just making sure that's right.
If you could just give answers to 1, 2, 3 and 4 I'd appreciate it. Any more in depth discussion is welcome.
1. It does not come with either of the TRD options you listed. Those must be ordered and installed post factory.

2. Do you tow? If you are going to tow then yes it would be much better than trying to buy and install an aftermarket 'tow package'. Plus the heavy duty items are nice.

3. It's up to you... I hate autos

4. You got it right. And don't forget the cool stickers
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
1. It does not come with either of the TRD options you listed. Those must be ordered and installed post factory.

2. Do you tow? If you are going to tow then yes it would be much better than trying to buy and install an aftermarket 'tow package'. Plus the heavy duty items are nice.

3. It's up to you... I hate autos

4. You got it right. And don't forget the cool stickers
  1. Lame, if it's cheaper than aftermarket, maybe I'll consider those. In the meantime, the Toyota supercharger looks cool. Wonder how much that costs. Anyone know the prices on the TRD Intake, Braking and Supercharger kits?
  2. On occasion, particularly since I move so often. May not need it, but if you've got a truck in our family, you have a trailer hitch. Plain and simple.
  3. Apathetic toward both. As long as it feels like my Jeep or close to it, and not like that Jetta TDI manual or Ford Focus, I'll be cool with it. I do enjoy manual, sort of a sense of pride that I can drive it and 90% of the population cannot. Guess I'll need to test drive it to see if I like it.
  4. I don't like that the cat-back and the side step are in different options. Guess I'll get the Pro package and get the side step added on. Just because I want the side of the truck to say TX Pro and not just TX. It's like 50 dollars or less difference.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, two other questions:

  1. If I put 32-33 inch tires on the truck, any issues (reason I ask is anything above 32 caused problems on my 95 Wrangler)?
  2. Does the Tacoma have a steel oil pan (strange question I know, but I have a point if you want an explanation)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
ARC ARC is offline
Senior Member
ARC is on a distinguished road
Army: MGS Gunner, 1-27INF 25th ID
Name: Andrew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50561
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 125
ARC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspropst View Post
Oh, two other questions:

  1. If I put 32-33 inch tires on the truck, any issues (reason I ask is anything above 32 caused problems on my 95 Wrangler)?
  2. Does the Tacoma have a steel oil pan (strange question I know, but I have a point if you want an explanation)?
1. Check out the the wheel and tire section for tons of info on that.
2. No clue

Check out this link for pricing on accessories, and remember the TRD Supercharger and intake are not compatible...

http://www.tacomapartsstore.com/index.php?cPath=35
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Member
rednecktaco will become famous soon enough
 
rednecktaco's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2008, #11689
Location: wv
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
rednecktaco's Tacoma Gallery
u can runs 32's stock height, anything above u have to lift.

yes a small steel oil pan, but u will drag skid plate or cross member before it.

2. tow package u get a larger battery, oil cooler, tranny cooler, and larger alt. also prewire for brake controller.

3. auto get better mpg, it is a nice auto, but the manual isnt awful either.just a shorter top gear.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecktaco View Post
u can runs 32's stock height, anything above u have to lift.

yes a small steel oil pan, but u will drag skid plate or cross member before it.

2. tow package u get a larger battery, oil cooler, tranny cooler, and larger alt. also prewire for brake controller.

3. auto get better mpg, it is a nice auto, but the manual isnt awful either.just a shorter top gear.

Reason I asked about the oil pan is because I'm looking at getting various filter magnets (www.filtermag.com).

2. I like the larger battery, oil/tranny cooler and bigger alternator.

3. Like the better MPG, think auto might be the better choice. Seems Toyotas autos are really good and not prone to breaking down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
jjew18's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: May 2009, #17315
Location: Alliance Airport
Age: 34
Gender: Guy
Posts: 6,148
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
1. No
2. Yes
3. If you like manual, go for it.
4. Don't know, but you don't want this option.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
1. No
2. Yes
3. If you like manual, go for it.
4. Don't know, but you don't want this option.
3. Gonna go check the manual.
4. I was sort of thinking the same thing. Rims are okay, but not that great. Paying for tires that aren't 32's is kind of lame and now I have to go upgrade them anyway. I can order the cat-back/tube steps separately.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspropst View Post
Hi guys,

Getting a Black Tacoma, 4x4 Double Cab, 4.0L V6... questions are:

  1. V6 TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL Audio - all the gadgets look cool, just curious is the upgraded suspension that great? Audio a lot better, since I plan on upgrading/adding to it eventually with some subs? How big is that backup camera screen and where is it located? Does this also come with the TRD intake and TRD Braking kit? It's not listed online as part of the TRD package while doing "Build Your Own," but is under the Toyota Tacoma Accessories page.
  2. Tow Package - Worth it?
  3. Classic Manual/Automatic question - I've driven manual and like it, spend most of my time on the road, but like the options to off-road since I'm in Texas. Quite simply, I won't do something in my truck I know it can't handle and will end up getting me stuck. Tacoma shouldn't have that problem. Any manual I've driven other than the Jeep has been cars and the shifting has felt completely different (I'll need to test a Tacoma manual when I'm back in the states)... I guess my question is would you recommend manual or automatic considering I like manual, but I've never had to go through driving long distance (more than 2 hours) on the highway? Also remember, I was in a half door, no top, lifted Jeep getting knocked around so it was an interesting 2 hour drive.
  4. T | X Package / T | X Pro Package Packages both ha- ve the same rims/tires except one has a tube step and stainless steel exhaust tip, the other has a cat-back exhaust? Just making sure that's right.
If you could just give answers to 1, 2, 3 and 4 I'd appreciate it. Any more in depth discussion is welcome.
  1. Going to get it. Too many toys to pass it up and a hassle to install later.
  2. Going to get it.
  3. Leaning towards auto, dad is in favor of auto, unless the manual blows my mind, going auto.
  4. Don't see the value in it. Go buy a tubular bar on my own and a dual cat-back exhaust.
    • Want 31" or 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws ( probably stick a spacer in to make them fit)
    • Want Mickey Thompson Classic Lock Wheels (16x8 if 31" tires, 16x10 if 33" +) - Ironically 16x10s are lighter.

Thanks guys!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Senior Member
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
TacoDaTugBoat's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2009, #15090
Location: Goshen, Ct
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,093
TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Get the manual. I've heard some complaints about the torque something in top gear hesitating to shift. You said you never did a long highway trip with a manual... it's easy, you just stay in gear.
Maybe a six banger guy will chime in on if the auto torque thing in top gear is an issue. I love manual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
musty40 is on a distinguished road
 
musty40's Avatar
Name: Alan
Joined: Jan 2010, #30318
Location: Duluth, MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 209
musty40's Tacoma Gallery
In regards to the transmission, if memory serves me right there was no option when getting the TRD Off Road package. It only came with the Auto.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
Junior Member
chobee is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2011, #50510
Location: Port St Lucie
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
chobee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by musty40 View Post
In regards to the transmission, if memory serves me right there was no option when getting the TRD Off Road package. It only came with the Auto.
Here in the North-east there is a choice between 5 speed automatic and 6 speed manual.
Also, there is no choice for tow package, it come standard with the TRD Off -Road package.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
Member
rednecktaco will become famous soon enough
 
rednecktaco's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2008, #11689
Location: wv
Gender: Male
Posts: 61
rednecktaco's Tacoma Gallery
All trds get tow package.

Top gear torgue issue. Never heard of it.

2.5 lift 33's are fine. No worry of an axle coming out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
Get the manual. I've heard some complaints about the torque something in top gear hesitating to shift. You said you never did a long highway trip with a manual... it's easy, you just stay in gear.
Maybe a six banger guy will chime in on if the auto torque thing in top gear is an issue. I love manual.
I did the two hour trip, but with a 2.5 inline 4, on a 4 inch lift, 32 inch tire, half door, no top Wrangler in windy South Texas... 5th gear =70 miles with my foot on the floor. And it took a LONG time to get there. When some jerk would hit his breaks I was almost just tempted to run him over. I've been reading a lot about that on the forums. Doesn't seem to be such an issue. It seems to hesitate on the shift up is what I've heard, but it's actually supposed to do that. Does that in non-Toyota vehicles as well. Friends 2006 Surburban and his 2003 Surburban all did that as well. Floor it and it'll hesitate on shifting. Unless you're granny peddling it. Issue is that you cannot get manual in TRD. Read below in next responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musty40 View Post
In regards to the transmission, if memory serves me right there was no option when getting the TRD Off Road package. It only came with the Auto.
That would be correct unless chobee below is right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobee View Post
Here in the North-east there is a choice between 5 speed automatic and 6 speed manual.
Also, there is no choice for tow package, it come standard with the TRD Off -Road package.
Toyotas website is set up to let you only do the options available. Go "Build Your Own" in "1. Model," select Double Cab, 4x4 and 5 Speed Automatic. Then go and look at the packages and tons of stuff is there including TRD. Then go back to "1. Model" and pick 6 Speed OR 5 Speed Manual, whichever you prefer, same result. Vehicle Shield Package should be the only option available on a Double Cab, 4x4 with 5 or 6 Speed Manual. Automatic it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecktaco View Post
All trds get tow package.

Top gear torgue issue. Never heard of it.

2.5 lift 33's are fine. No worry of an axle coming out.
All I know is I'm going to drive both. I'm used to driving automatics and manuals from different companies in either car/SUV/Truck form. If somethings really strange I'll notice. Otherwise, I think it's just people trying to make another reason to support their manual/auto decision. I think from what I've heard they are both fantastic, it's all about preference. However, here are some links below about autos getting better MPG, manuals having a bearing problem, etc.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2625325

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2625347

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2313256

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post2313353


TRDs come with towing hooks and things like that, they do not come with the tow package:
  • TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package: Off-road-tuned Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, Locking Rear Differential, 16" Alloy Wheels with P265/70R16 BF Goodrich Tires, VSC [4]+ATRAC in place of Standard VSC [4]+TRAC (4X4 models only) with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [5] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [5] (HAC & DAC available on 4X4 Automatic Transmission models only), Engine Skid Plate, Front Tow Hook, 115V/400W Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Power Outside Mirrors (Access Cab models only), Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Variable-Speed Wipers, Overhead Console with Compass & Temperature Gauge, Chrome Grille Surround & Rear Bumper, Color-Keyed Front Bumper & Overfenders, Smoked Headlamp Trim, Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, Sport Seats with Driver Lumbar Support and Sport Fabric Trim in place of Standard Bucket Seats (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls & Leather-Wrapped Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors & Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], TRD Off-Road Graphics
  • TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL® Audio: TRD Off-Road package plus JBL® Audio with AM/FM CD with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers and subwoofer, auxiliary audio jack, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio & Bluetooth® [2] Controls, Bluetooth® [2], & XM® Radio [3] (includes 90-day trial subscription)
  • NONE OF THESE OPTIONS LISTED IN THE TRD PACKAGES ABOVE: V6 Tow Package: Class 4 Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers (Transmission Cooler not available on Manual Transmission models), 130A Alternator, Heavy-Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector with Converter
As for the 2.5 did you do a suspension, body lift or spacers? Jeep's Dana 30s would snap with too heavy rims/tires on the end due to the torque placed on the axle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Call me J
Fishing Frenzy is on a distinguished road
 
Fishing Frenzy's Avatar
Name: Jason N
Joined: Nov 2010, #45607
Location: Bay Area (CA)
Gender: Male
Posts: 33
Fishing Frenzy's Tacoma Gallery
Its not in the off road package but they install it so you have to pay the extra $$$
When I asked my deader about the tow package. He said all off-road truck come with the tow package.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
Junior Member
chobee is on a distinguished road
Joined: Feb 2011, #50510
Location: Port St Lucie
Gender: Male
Posts: 29
chobee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspropst View Post


TRDs come with towing hooks and things like that, they do not come with the tow package:
  • TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package: Off-road-tuned Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, Locking Rear Differential, 16" Alloy Wheels with P265/70R16 BF Goodrich Tires, VSC [4]+ATRAC in place of Standard VSC [4]+TRAC (4X4 models only) with Hill Start Assist Control (HAC) [5] and Downhill Assist Control (DAC) [5] (HAC & DAC available on 4X4 Automatic Transmission models only), Engine Skid Plate, Front Tow Hook, 115V/400W Deck Powerpoint, Fog Lamps, Power Outside Mirrors (Access Cab models only), Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise Control, Variable-Speed Wipers, Overhead Console with Compass & Temperature Gauge, Chrome Grille Surround & Rear Bumper, Color-Keyed Front Bumper & Overfenders, Smoked Headlamp Trim, Sliding Rear Window with Privacy Glass, Sport Seats with Driver Lumbar Support and Sport Fabric Trim in place of Standard Bucket Seats (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), Metallic-Tone Instrument Panel Trim, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio Controls & Leather-Wrapped Shifter (A/T models only), Dual Sunvisors with Mirrors & Extenders, Tailgate-handle integrated backup camera [1] linked with an auto-dimming mirror with monitor [1], TRD Off-Road Graphics
  • TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL® Audio: TRD Off-Road package plus JBL® Audio with AM/FM CD with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers and subwoofer, auxiliary audio jack, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio & Bluetooth® [2] Controls, Bluetooth® [2], & XM® Radio [3] (includes 90-day trial subscription)
  • NONE OF THESE OPTIONS LISTED IN THE TRD PACKAGES ABOVE: V6 Tow Package: Class 4 Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers (Transmission Cooler not available on Manual Transmission models), 130A Alternator, Heavy-Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector with Converter
This is straight off of Toyota's web site:
TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package with JBL® Audio. with Additional Options $4,740

  • [FE] 50 state emissions
  • [OF] TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL® Audio: TRD Off-Road package plus JBL® Audio with AM/FM CD with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers and subwoofer, auxiliary audio jack, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio & Bluetooth® [3] Controls, Bluetooth® [3], & XM® Radio [2] (includes 90-day trial subscription)
  • [RL] Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
  • [TO] V6 Tow Package: Class 4 Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers, 130A Alternator, Heavy-Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector with Converter


I read this to be the Tow Package is a standard accessory when TRD packages are ordered.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
mspropst [OP] mspropst is offline
Junior Member
mspropst is on a distinguished road
Name: Matthew
Joined: Feb 2011, #50682
Location: McAllen, TX
Gender: Male
Posts: 14
mspropst's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobee View Post
[/LIST] This is straight off of Toyota's web site:
TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package with JBL® Audio. with Additional Options $4,740

  • [FE] 50 state emissions
  • [OF] TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package With JBL® Audio: TRD Off-Road package plus JBL® Audio with AM/FM CD with 6-disc in-dash CD changer, MP3/WMA playback capability, six speakers and subwoofer, auxiliary audio jack, Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Audio & Bluetooth® [3] Controls, Bluetooth® [3], & XM® Radio [2] (includes 90-day trial subscription)
  • [RL] Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
  • [TO] V6 Tow Package: Class 4 Hitch, Transmission and Supplemental Oil Coolers, 130A Alternator, Heavy-Duty Battery, 7-Pin Connector with Converter


I read this to be the Tow Package is a standard accessory when TRD packages are ordered.
Read your own quote. OF is the TRD package. TO is the Tow Package and is one of the "additional options", they don't automatically come with it though if it has the TRD. So if you go shopping for a TRD I would check to make sure that it has it. It makes sense for the TRD to automatically have it, and hence the reason most dealerships put the two on there without asking. Although, one might skimp you on it and not mention it since you never asked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
Junior Member
robbspratt is on a distinguished road
Name: rspratt@autotempinc.com
Joined: Feb 2011, #51550
Location: rspratt@autotempinc.com
Gender: Male
Posts: 2
robbspratt's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Parts/Dealer Installed -OR- Aftermarket Parts/Owner Installed???

Hello all,

***Similar Post Avoiding New Thread***

I'm new to the forum and customizing Tacomas, but next month I am going to buy a new 2011 Tacoma from a local dealership. (I have driven a '98 Tacoma for the past 7 years and thoroughly enjoyed the stress free, low maintenance Toyota experience, so now buying a new one!)

Here's what I am looking to buy from dealership:
  • 2011 Tacoma Long Bed, Double Cab, 4x4, 4.0-Liter V6, 5-Speed Automatic
  • TRD Sport Extra Value Package
  • towing package
  • possibly dealer outsourced leather for $1500
  • possibly dealer outsourced sunroof possible for $900

Questionable Package Option
  • JBL® Audio Package OR aftermarket DVD/NAV/Bluetooth head unit

Factory Parts/Dealer Installed -OR- Aftermarket Parts/Owner Installed???
  • Front Skid Plate
  • Hood Protector
  • Roof Rack
  • Bed Extender
  • Performance Air Intake
  • Cat-Back Exhaust System
  • Off-Road Beadlock Wheels
  • 32" Tires w/ longest life & highest mpg
  • 3" lift kit with quality springs and shocks (retain factory warranty?)

(I am fully capable of installing all upgrades, but what voids warranty? Must I only buy Factory Parts/Dealer Installed to retain full warranty??)

I'm sure many of you had to make these decisions and I would truly appreciate your input!!!

Thank you,

-Robb Spratt
rspratt@autotempinc.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tacoma 2011 vs 2012 options freezb 2nd Gen. Tacomas 1 12-16-2011 02:38 PM
2012 Tacoma Vent Visors, Same As 2011? Hotwire 2nd Gen. Tacomas 2 12-11-2011 03:00 PM
Purchasing a 2012 Tacoma! Which one? jimmy31185 South Central 3 12-06-2011 07:01 PM
Black Headlight for 2011 Tacoma Purchasing After Poll Results NoDrAmA357HK 2nd Gen. Tacomas 14 06-13-2011 05:30 PM
purchasing 2011 tacoma SR5 - vs - Sport renner 2nd Gen. Tacomas 25 02-22-2011 03:41 AM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.