Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Crank Seal Leaking....

Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MSUtacoboy's Tacoma Gallery
Front Crank Seal Leaking....

i purchased this truck used 2008 with 54k miles on it. i've put about 7k since i got it 7 months. no problems what so ever.

a week or so i started noticing a burning oil smell when i'd come to a stop. i didnt have any drops on the garage floor and i couldn't tell where the leak was coming from. But the front of the engine was covered in oil. the truck wasn't running low on oil, according to the dip stick.

then a few days later i had two drops on the floor.... took it to the shop(local ind). guy cleans the engine and found the leak. i personally figured it'd be the timing chain cover, which would have cost a fortune to fix. but, to my delight, he calls and tells me that it's the front crank seal that has the leak. i have been trying to convince myself this whole time that it's going to be okay to pay $1800+ for the fix.

$200 for the seal fix. i'd rather pay that than what i was thinking this whole time.

if i had to fix it, it wouldnt be fixed for a few weeks, i dont want to drive around with it leaking for the time being, so i said "getter done" (no, not really, just adding some MS redneck in there) let's do it.

thanks for allowing the blog entry.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Where did you come up with your price estimate of $1800 for a timing chain cover gasket? DIY with a $5 roll of gasket paper, probably take about an hour.
an hour for timing chain cover?? I dont know about that. It takes more then hour on inline 6 (1FZ-FE) and that thing has no serpentine belt and much more room to work with. I can see 1GR would be slightly easier since has wimpy oil pans but still.
An Hour on 1GR that would be a Guiness record , Not sure what that paper gasket roll is for.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MSUtacoboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Where did you come up with your price estimate of $1800 for a timing chain cover gasket? DIY with a $5 roll of gasket paper, probably take about an hour.
i did a search on this board.

plus the guy said it called for 18 hour job