Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Supersport Snugtop camper shell reviews

Old 02-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Supersport Snugtop camper shell reviews

What is everyone's general take on a the snugtop supersports (search isn't very helpfull)?

Anyone use them for dogs? How is the ventalation?

Are there better options out there for dogs?

Build quality?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
chacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedchacotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
chacotaco's Tacoma Gallery
AMAZING BUILD QUALITY. (I have the XV, not the SS)
The only thing I dont like is that I didn't get win-doors (pined over it, someone convinced me they weren't safe) and I didn't get the cab-hi model (want more room to sleep deck it back there).

Roof rack is a must. That way you can take it off with a hoist (tree or garage) and flip it over and store it that way for a long time.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about the SS model but you get what you pay for with Snugtop. Top notch quality with top notch pricing.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Snugtop SS, but I have had a problem with the forward hinged window rattling the locks to pieces over a zillion miles on gravel roads.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I've got SnugTop SuperSport on my 07. The quality is excellent and no gaps like alot of other canopies...water tight! The fold down front window makes for easy cleaning and has a slider that matches up with the trucks rear window slider... great for hauling fishing poles.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
kystnTRD is on a distinguished road
kystnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kystnTRD
great quality on the cap. The latch system is garbage however. Would i buy it again....probably. Its definitely the best looking one out there.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
^
Ditto, nice shell but the PUSH IN locking mec is a pain. If you drive on a lot of dirt roads, dirt get's in it and it won't lock. You have to take it apart and clean it every so often.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Truck guy
spamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud ofspamy has much to be proud of
spamy's Tacoma Gallery
I second the comments on the latch. Sometimes when I push it in I think Im going to break the glass. It just doesnt like to latch unless you push it pretty hard.

Otherwise, the front opening glass for cleaning is awesome. The finish on mine was pretty good, but a bit of orange peel. Not the best paint job Ive seen. But not really noticeable to most folks.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
kystnTRD is on a distinguished road
kystnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kystnTRD
My problem with the latch was i broke the latch/lock mechanism opening it from the inside while camping...a 1/4 inch bolt thread is all that holds the latch to the lock mechanism. The only replacement option i could find was to buy the whole latch system(thats the only way they would sell it) through a dealer and i was unable to find parts direct. About a hundred dollars so i never fixed it.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Pbraunsc is on a distinguished road
Pbraunsc's Tacoma Gallery
Snugtop.

Heads up, snugtop has the worst customer service of a mfg I have ever seen. Been told for 5 weeks the toper would be here the following week. Thought is was the dealer and found that it was snugtop not returning calls from them.

Would not put money down on a snugtop again. Lo with leer at least they did what was said.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #11
'06 4.0L 4x4 6-sp MT Access
Flugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura aboutFlugelhornjazz has a spectacular aura about
Flugelhornjazz's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Snugtop for 2nd gen Taco

HI Guys. I bought a snug top Super sport the same time I bought my 06' Access cab new. Had them both now 6 1/2 years, 98,000 miles. I did add the Yakima rack system in 2006 as well. The snug top has been trouble free until two months ago. The latch on the rear glass is wearing out and doesn't stay locked snug against the cap. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the money on Snug Top again...built very well.