Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

5100's installed by dealer???

Old 02-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
TacoManJay is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
TacoManJay's Tacoma Gallery
5100's installed by dealer???

I have my TSB appointment Monday and my 5100 adjustable bilstein's should arrive on Friday. I was thinking about seeing if the dealer will install them when I have it in, since it will be getting an alignment.

Thoughts? If I wait to have "my guy" do the install I'll have to pay for another alignment.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambojee View Post
my stealer wouldnt even put mine on but if u can get them on and dont mind spending alittle more money then go for it... killing two birds with one stone
Yeah, I don't know that they'll do it but it's worth a shot I guess. I just don't want to have to pay for another alignment. I not looking forward to seeing how much they'll want to charge for the job though!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
Membrrrrrr
netmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shednetmagi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

netmagi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoManJay View Post
Yeah, I don't know that they'll do it but it's worth a shot I guess. I just don't want to have to pay for another alignment. I not looking forward to seeing how much they'll want to charge for the job though!!!
I'm in the same boat. I ordered new tires and billy's. I plan on having a shop do the tires and shocks, and then im headin str8 to toyota (or asap) to have the rear tsb done and full alignment on their dime

-Rich H.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
jackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to beholdjackrules is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jack
jackrules's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota dealers charge 75 bucks an hour, and to install 5100's they say it's an 8 hour instillation, so it's 75 x 8 about 600 plus 20 bucks for the alignment... pretty expensive, but it won't void your warranty if you're still under warranty.

I already talked to em about it.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoManJay View Post
I have my TSB appointment Monday and my 5100 adjustable bilstein's should arrive on Friday. I was thinking about seeing if the dealer will install them when I have it in, since it will be getting an alignment.

Thoughts? If I wait to have "my guy" do the install I'll have to pay for another alignment.
Koons Toyota in Annapolis, MD installed my 5100's at 1.75" when I had the rear TSB done on my '08. My truck is a non-trd so the TSB required that the shocks be replaced anyway; I had the 5100's used in place of the yellow billies and it was a no charge installation. I got approval from the Service manager ahead of time though.

It made sense to do it this way for many reasons, including the alignment that was part of the TSB. BTW, the dealer let me keep the TSB billies, which I ended up selling to fellow board member...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
Koon's Toyota in Annapolis also installed my 5100's while doing the TSB. They charged me $146 dollars.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto340 View Post
Koon's Toyota in Annapolis also installed my 5100's while doing the TSB. They charged me $146 dollars.
Ouch! The fee was probably because TRD models don't get the shocks replaced as part of the TSB. Although, they should only have charged you for the front...
Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #8

I think as long as they don't charge me too much I'll try to have it done while it's in. I can't see paying $600+ though! I'll have to give the service guy a call today and bend his ear a little.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #9
Wrangler Convert
sixdoubleseven will become famous soon enough

Name: Dave
sixdoubleseven's Tacoma Gallery
Weather aside, would the shocks be a good DIY candidate?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a firestone nearby they have lifetime alignments for 169.99.. best deal evar!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #11

just gave the dealer a call this morning and asked for an estimated price on the billy install. guy said $375 as a guess.

That's not a price i want to pay for this install. I'm sure my mom and pop shop can do this install alot cheaper.

They don't call them "Stealers" for nothing!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Fuuaaaaaaa!!
tecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to alltecate12 is a name known to all

Name: Martin
tecate12's Tacoma Gallery
i got mine installed at the dealer and it sure as hell wasn't free man don't get extited... But it can be done...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #13

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecate12 View Post
i got mine installed at the dealer and it sure as hell wasn't free man don't get extited... But it can be done...
haha, i know, anything can "be done" for the right price.

the right price for the dealer install isn't always the right price for us, the consumers.

$375 just seems a little salty to me for a shock install....what do you think?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
NJ92783 is on a distinguished road
NJ92783's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I see your from PA. My dealer James Toyota in Flemington installed my 5100's during the rear leaf TSB for $200. Not sure if its close to you but they have been very good to me.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticDave View Post
I just paid $205 out the door for billi install and alignment at a local shop. Should never be more then that
That's what I was envisioning...that price i can live with.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
$375 sure is salty for all the more that's involved. You could install them yourself and (William Shatner quote), "save a stack of scratch". Not a hard job to do and the DIY's are outlined nicely on this forum as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBow View Post
$375 sure is salty for all the more that's involved. You could install them yourself and (William Shatner quote), "save a stack of scratch". Not a hard job to do and the DIY's are outlined nicely on this forum as well.
I wouldn't mind taking on a DIY on this one but I don't have access to a spring compressor, nor do I want the extra pain in the ace to go locate one or get it done and then come home to finish. I guess the winter weather has got me feeling lazy! Im still working on the dealer to see if they'll budge on price. If that falls through I'll go to my normal guy and get it re-aligned after the shocks are on. No biggie I guess!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.
TacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
TacoBow's Tacoma Gallery
Right right... I'm with ya there... winter time ain't the best time for backyard vehicle projects.

How far are ya from me? Garage... heat... pneumatics... all for the low low price of free.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBow View Post
Right right... I'm with ya there... winter time ain't the best time for backyard vehicle projects.

How far are ya from me? Garage... heat... pneumatics... all for the low low price of free.
I've got the space and all to do the work it's just finding the time right now. Busy Busy Busy!

What part of PA are you in?