Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

electrochromic mirror change

Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
bra is on a distinguished road

bra's Tacoma Gallery
electrochromic mirror change

Hello, I have an access cab trd sport but I don't know why toyota doesn't put an electrochromic mirror and why only the db cab have it. But I have never tried yet and would like to know if this mirror is very efficiency on the night when the lights come from another vehicle in the rear and if it is difficult to install and replace.... any idea? Thanks in advance
Old 09-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
camsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura aboutcamsbored has a spectacular aura about

camsbored's Tacoma Gallery
If I recall they were only standard on the DC LB, but that still doesn't make any sense. I replaced mine fairly early on with the auto-dimming homelink mirror (same electrochomatic mirror plus garage door opener) and have been very happy with the auto-dimming feature. It works great. There is a light sensor on the front and back (mirror side) that adjusts the dimming. Basically, if it's dark outside (front sensor) and there are headlights shining in your rear window (rear sensor) then it dims for you. It seems to be variable depending on the light differential too.

It's very easy to install if you're ok with some wire splicing in the center roof console area. I've actually got my original mirror in a box in the garage that I'd love to sell if you're interested. PM me for details.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsbored View Post
If I recall they were only standard on the DC LB, but that still doesn't make any sense. I replaced mine fairly early on with the auto-dimming homelink mirror (same electrochomatic mirror plus garage door opener) and have been very happy with the auto-dimming feature. It works great. There is a light sensor on the front and back (mirror side) that adjusts the dimming. Basically, if it's dark outside (front sensor) and there are headlights shining in your rear window (rear sensor) then it dims for you. It seems to be variable depending on the light differential too.

It's very easy to install if you're ok with some wire splicing in the center roof console area. I've actually got my original mirror in a box in the garage that I'd love to sell if you're interested. PM me for details.
Hey - I would love to get the homelink mirror on my truck; where did you get one and how much?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
Hey - I would love to get the homelink mirror on my truck; where did you get one and how much?
I have one also....

I got mine off ebay for $148 a year ago. Search for member "wembleysells". That's who I bought if from.

Like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...spagenameZWDVW
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
bra is on a distinguished road

bra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsbored View Post

Ok thanks for the info, but how can I install the eletrical wire for the electrochromic mirror, I don't think I have some cables, do you think you can show me how to do?
Yes I would like to buy your old electromic mirror if you sell it, give me your price, but the big problem I think is the freight because I live in french polynesia tahiti, let me know if you would like... Thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
The mirrors are great, I have 1 in both my Avalon and my Tacoma.