Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

100k mile warranty question about voiding it

Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
100k mile warranty question about voiding it

Ok guys I need some help I searched through my warranty info and I THINK I saw it when I first went over it but now I cannot find it.

I am about to put my lights on my truck (firefighter lights) and I remember seeing something about emergency vehicles voiding the 100k warranty.

Im still searching but no luck, however I am like 99% sure I saw it when I originally went through the information.

Can anyone give me a little help here, it would be much appreciated.

If this is the case then I will not be putting lights on until I hit that mark no point in buying it then voiding it lol.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Lights?? Is that all?

And you're a fire fighter and worried about the warrantee? I think you've got more important things to worry about...like putting out fires & helping people and saving lives.

You might want to read this.... or do some searching on the Magnuson-Moss Warrantee Act
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Lights?? Is that all?

And you're a fire fighter and worried about the warrantee? I think you've got more important things to worry about...like putting out fires & helping people and saving lives.

And Toyota (or a dealership) would have the nerve to deny you coverage?

Sorry for my ramblings....I have lights & other modifications on my truck and they haven't denied me coverage. What's the difference here? Your modifications are much more important than mine!!!

You might want to read this.... or do some searching on the Magnuson-Moss Warrantee Act

Yeah I bought the warranty and it would be pointless to void it... Talk about throwing away money LOL!

The last dealer I went to, they would probably deny me coverage if they found any reason to. Sadly.

I'll check out that link right now.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking online and found this in a Volvo warranty in the "What is not covered" :

Mechanical breakdown or failure if:
Your vehicle is used as a police car or other emergency vehicle, or for livery, rental, taxi or snow-plowing.

http://www.autoparkdrive.com/automot...CPO_011007.pdf

There might be a similar caveat in the warranty you're looking at.

Same with Lexus
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/warra...rotection.html

"Ineligible vehicles include emergency vehicles, salvage vehicles and those used for hire to public, plowing snow, competitive driving or racing.

You can probably get some of the money refunded by cancelling it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Lights?? Is that all?

It wouldn't be a Magnusson Moss issue. The warranty may not cover emergency vehicles in general. It's not putting the lights on that voids the warranty. It's the fact that he's using it as an emergency vehicle.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I was looking online and found this in a Volvo warranty in the "What is not covered" :

Mechanical breakdown or failure if:
Your vehicle is used as a police car or other emergency vehicle, or for livery, rental, taxi or snow-plowing.

http://www.autoparkdrive.com/automot...CPO_011007.pdf

There might be a similar caveat in the warranty you're looking at.

Same with Lexus
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/warra...rotection.html

"Ineligible vehicles include emergency vehicles, salvage vehicles and those used for hire to public, plowing snow, competitive driving or racing.

You can probably get some of the money refunded by cancelling it.
Thanks I have been considering canceling it but my family who helped me get it does not want me to cancel it at all.

I only live about 1/2 mile away from the fire house so its not THAT big of a deal...

I stopped looking got busy but Ill look again tonight I know I saw it somewhere. Maybe if I call toyota the only thing is if I get a dumb person and they say its fine then with my luck if something would happen i take it in and theyre like why are there lights on it?

O sorry its not covered its a emergency vehicle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Would that actually make your vehicle into an "emergency vehicle"? Or would it still be your personal vehicle to get you TO an emergency? I'm not an expert on this, which is why I'm asking questions, but seems to me that you *should* still be OK. Its not like the vehicle is painted red and registered to the fire dept.

Yeah thats the way I was thinking about it as well but want to be sure before I commit or not ya know?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Would that actually make your vehicle into an "emergency vehicle"? Or would it still be your personal vehicle to get you TO an emergency? I'm not an expert on this, which is why I'm asking questions, but seems to me that you *should* still be OK. Its not like the vehicle is painted red and registered to the fire dept.
I believe emergency lights are only allowed on emergency vehicles. By putting the lights on it, you'd be declaring it as such.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I think you will find that if the vehicle is not owned and operated by the emergency services organization, it is not an "emergency vehicle", it is a private vehicle. Whether you run emergency lights or 22" spinners on it does not affect its status as a private vehicle.

IANAL, YMMV.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
That would also make sense I might call toyota see what they say and even if they do give me a green light if I take it in they could say something else just kinda a 50/50 chance.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah call Toyota because it is the warranty company that will look for any reason not to pay for a major repair. It would be nice if we felt we could go into a dealer with a bloan engine and get no questions' asked service. Chances are if you are using your truck in business it won't be covered. If it shows up on a schedule C its considered business use.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I think you will find that if the vehicle is not owned and operated by the emergency services organization, it is not an "emergency vehicle", it is a private vehicle. Whether you run emergency lights or 22" spinners on it does not affect its status as a private vehicle.

IANAL, YMMV.
The text says, "if your vehicle is used as an emergency vehicle." It doesn't make the distinction as to whether or not it's owned by an emergency services organization. If they want to deny you coverage, that's the wording they're going to use to emphasize why they denied coverage.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
can you use just a windshield mount and removable roof mount to get to the scene or fire house? i'd do that instead of something permanent - i would put a large square of 3m clear bra material on a finely polished part of my roof above my cab and run a small removable light. and of course windshield mount too. this way you aren't tied down to the lights being there all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfrog View Post
Chances are if you are using your truck in business it won't be covered. If it shows up on a schedule C its considered business use.
nah, it truly depends on the use. many warranties will have language against high-stress uses like plowing and taxi, but to be honest even rental cars get warranty coverage. if a truck is used to go to and from worksites, or to drive around and give quotes, or to be used as a show vehicle on behalf of a business...stuff like that, it'll be covered just fine.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
I'm trying to find what DEFINES a emergency vehicle in the state of kentucky.

No luck so far....
Old 02-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
can you use just a windshield mount and removable roof mount to get to the scene or fire house? i'd do that instead of something permanent - i would put a large square of 3m clear bra material on a finely polished part of my roof above my cab and run a small removable light. and of course windshield mount too. this way you aren't tied down to the lights being there all the time.

nah, it truly depends on the use. many warranties will have language against high-stress uses like plowing and taxi, but to be honest even rental cars get warranty coverage. if a truck is used to go to and from worksites, or to drive around and give quotes, or to be used as a show vehicle on behalf of a business...stuff like that, it'll be covered just fine.

yeah if all else fails I'm going to get a dash light, and a top light (for 360) and have them easily removable so the only thing that would take me a hour or so to remove would be the siren.

Just kinda a pain in the butt lol
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
kprstaco is on a distinguished road

kprstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Your job is requiring you to use your own vehicle for emergency response?
I thought most agencies provided "official" vehicles for this.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprstaco View Post
Your job is requiring you to use your own vehicle for emergency response?
I thought most agencies provided "official" vehicles for this.
probably volunteer.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
probably volunteer.
Thats affirmative I respond to station with lights, then we leave station with firetruck or brush truck.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #18
hoyagolfer is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
hoyagolfer's Tacoma Gallery
I work for Toyota and have to define/ register the truck as a emrgency vihicle for it to void the warranty. It it is not defined/ registered as that you are good in GA. It might be a little different in the way of registering the vehicle in kentucky.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyagolfer View Post
I work for Toyota and have to define/ register the truck as a emrgency vihicle for it to void the warranty. It it is not defined/ registered as that you are good in GA. It might be a little different in the way of registering the vehicle in kentucky.

Ok so if I understand this right, if its REGISTERED as a emergency vehicle then its no good but if its not registered then its ok?

In your state atleast?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter500ky View Post
Ok so if I understand this right, if its REGISTERED as a emergency vehicle then its no good but if its not registered then its ok?

In your state atleast?
You might have to have the vehicle registered as an authorized emergency vehicle to have them legally on your truck. I would check with your DMV.