Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Windshield will not defrost

Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
olgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really nice
olgzr's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield will not defrost

We've had four days in the last two weeks that the temperature was in the teens or twenties and had snow or ice falling. Even after scraping the windshield and having the defroster on high with the temp knob all the way to hot, the windshield will ice over except for small circle on the drivers and passengers side. I scrape it off and within a few miles the windshield freezes over again. There is very little air coming out of the defrost vents. I stopped at the dealer and they found a TSB that addresses this issue and have ordered the parts. Has anyone heard of this problem and what do they change or fix? This is on a 2010 TRD Sport Prerunner. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
I think I recall reading about that...a diverter door that catches at partway closed. They replace the door and its hardware.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
you have snow on your intake, clean it off!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
olgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really niceolgzr is just really nice
olgzr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
you have snow on your intake, clean it off!!!!
There was snow on the intake, they cleaned it all off but the airflow was still less than half of both the tacomas they checked for comparison. They also checked the cabin air filter, again no help. The diverter door sounds like a possibility, there is a lot of air going somewhere, its just not coming out the defroster vent. I'll let you all know when the parts come in and have been installed.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
White Tacoma 4X4
whitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud ofwhitetacoma1 has much to be proud of

Name: Dan
whitetacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
blocked defrost vents

I was at the dealer for the same problem and they told me it was a flap in the heater box that was faulty its also funny it happened just after my last service when they sprayed some kind of solvent in the blower motor to stop the squeak, so they said it would be 20.00 for the part and 800.oo labour for the fix. So i told them I would fix it my self so I took the dash and the center console off to get at the heater and found out that the problem wasnt the flap it was the foam that lines the defrost vent had come off and plugged the defrost vent for the front windshield so I pulled out the foam and put the dash back together and fixed it. all it took was 4 hours on my part. ECP wouldnt cover this problem and my truck was over the factory warranty by 2000km here are a few pictures hope this might help someone else and save them from spending $$$$

Fist picture is the vents
second picture you can see the foam that blocked the vent
third is the foam I pulled out there was 2 pieces 3"x5"
and the fourth picture is a picture of the the truck without the dash
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield will not defrost-dscn3377.jpg   Windshield will not defrost-dscn3370.jpg   Windshield will not defrost-img_0444.jpg   Windshield will not defrost-dscn3393.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
i have had something simular happen on a different vehicle... it got stuck on one position and no matter what ya tried.......defrost ,vent , feet etc it wouldnt change. i believe they said it was some sort of check valve. they replaced it and have not had an issue since.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
dkbigbuds is on a distinguished road
dkbigbuds's Tacoma Gallery
it never gets that cold here, when i had my old car... an 86 subaru gl with absolutely no ac at all.. i would pour water on the outside of the windshield and that would work...if its that cold i doubt it would work...maybe try using hot water?
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbigbuds View Post
it never gets that cold here, when i had my old car... an 86 subaru gl with absolutely no ac at all.. i would pour water on the outside of the windshield and that would work...if its that cold i doubt it would work...maybe try using hot water?
hot water might crack the windshield.. Ive cracked the glass on my old 94 volvo doing that
Old 03-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
dkbigbuds is on a distinguished road
dkbigbuds's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, dont do that haha
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetacoma1 View Post
I was at the dealer for the same problem and they told me it was a flap in the heater box that was faulty its also funny it happened just after my last service when they sprayed some kind of solvent in the blower motor to stop the squeak, so they said it would be 20.00 for the part and 800.oo labour for the fix. So i told them I would fix it my self so I took the dash and the center console off to get at the heater and found out that the problem wasnt the flap it was the foam that lines the defrost vent had come off and plugged the defrost vent for the front windshield so I pulled out the foam and put the dash back together and fixed it. all it took was 4 hours on my part. ECP wouldnt cover this problem and my truck was over the factory warranty by 2000km here are a few pictures hope this might help someone else and save them from spending $$$$

Fist picture is the vents
second picture you can see the foam that blocked the vent
third is the foam I pulled out there was 2 pieces 3"x5"
and the fourth picture is a picture of the the truck without the dash

Nice DIY fix!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetacoma1 View Post
... so they said it would be 20.00 for the part and 800.oo labour for the fix.
Friggen $800. WTF. I wonder if you can reach down into the defroster vent with a flexible grabber and retrieve that foam.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
olgzr's Tacoma Gallery
Update: I called the dealer today, the TSB kit is finally in. I will drop the truck off Monday afternoon and pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. I let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
olgzr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbonner View Post
looks like someone has a dead critter blocking the vent .....
Nope, I got the truck back this afternoon. The receipt says "16218 C. NOT ENOUGH AIR COMING FROM DEFROSTER VENT. C. FOAM INNER LINNING IN VENT CAME UNGLUED CLOGGING DEFROSTER VENT. R. REPL DEFROSTER NOZZLE OR DUCT PER TSB 0224-10 OP CODE AC1002 2.O HRS." It looks like there were no dead critters in the vent, just loose foam. The volume of air coming out of the defroster vent is over double of what I had when I dropped the truck off Monday evening. The service writer said that the vent has been redesigned because of this problem.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
matboy55 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mathieu
matboy55's Tacoma Gallery
Tank to you to post theses 4 photos, you save me a lot of and time!!! After seeing that i probably have the same problem on my 2010 tacoma, i use this tools (See picture) to remove all the foam. It takes me about 10 minutes and all the air comes out. I've just enter back and fort the tools to make some hole in the foam. The foam does not comes out in one pieces but the defrost work very well!!!!