Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New tacoma owner, several questions.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Mack83 is on a distinguished road
Army: 1AD, ORD
Mack83's Tacoma Gallery
New tacoma owner, several questions.

I searched the forum and I couldn't find answers to several questions I have, so hopefully you guys can help me out. I've just had my truck for a couple of weeks, it's an '08 access cab, v4, 2wd. Nothing special, but I do want to upgrade it to suit my needs, and to learn for my next one. (I'm thinking about designing a custom sidebed logo that says RAT: Regular Ass Tacoma in the same styling as the TRD logo )

Anyway I'm diving right into things, I just picked myself up a doubledin stereo after doing some research here and elsewhere, should be here on monday for me to install. I'm pumped.

I have some questions in planning out the next couple of my mods:

First: I want to do tints on the windows, I was thinking 50% on the WS and 35% the rest of the way around. I have a buddy who's done tinting himself but I'm a little iffy about that. Has anyone tinted their own windows and had it come out looking clean? There's nothing worse than a really ass looking DIY tint job. I wouldn't be surprised if another taco owner pulled me out of my truck and slapped me for that, and I'd deserve it.

Second: Where's the best place to buy OEM bumpers? Right now my taco has the black plastic front and rear bumpers, which look terrible imo. I'd like to get some colormatched bumpers and stick them on, but I don't know where to go. The offroad bumpers look awesome, but it would be silly to put them on a 2wd taco that I drive around the city all day in.

Third: My truck also doesn't have the compass and temp gauge on the top center in front of where the sunglass holder is, but I wondered if I could put one in myself since it looks like the guts might be in there. Is this possible? Where could I find one?

Sorry for the long read, thanks for any help folks.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack83 View Post
First: I want to do tints on the windows, I was thinking 50% on the WS and 35% the rest of the way around. I have a buddy who's done tinting himself but I'm a little iffy about that. Has anyone tinted their own windows and had it come out looking clean? There's nothing worse than a really ass looking DIY tint job. I wouldn't be surprised if another taco owner pulled me out of my truck and slapped me for that, and I'd deserve it..
Before tinting - find out what your local state laws consider legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack83 View Post
Second: Where's the best place to buy OEM bumpers? Right now my taco has the black plastic front and rear bumpers, which look terrible imo. I'd like to get some colormatched bumpers and stick them on, but I don't know where to go. The offroad bumpers look awesome, but it would be silly to put them on a 2wd taco that I drive around the city all day in.
Third: My truck also doesn't have the compass and temp gauge on the top center in front of where the sunglass holder is, but I wondered if I could put one in myself since it looks like the guts might be in there. Is this possible? Where could I find one?

Sorry for the long read, thanks for any help folks.
Ebay, craigslist, local junkyards, this forum, online...search www.google.com
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
A lot of people do tint themselves. As long as you're not going over that dot matrix crap, it should be pretty straight forward. Just use a quality tint.

You might be able to find some color matched bumpers here from members who went to aftermarket off road ones.

No idea on #3.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on checking state laws .Unless you can buy it precut, avoid the headaches and take it to a tint shop where you can have it done right along with a warranty.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
What color is your truck?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Mack83's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'll definitely check my state laws before I take it in (or do it myself), no-brainer there. Thanks for the reminder though.

I think I am going to take it in too, my buddy was talking as if he'd done it to cars before, but the back with a truck is a different beast altogether I'd think. Plus it just seems like a job that wouldn't be fun.

Oh, and my truck is Impulse Red.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Idk how I'd get it to you, but I'll have a Magnetic Grey Metallic OEM front bumper that you could get repainted and a chrome rear once I get my CBI bumpers on next week. I'll make ya a deal.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Mack83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Idk how I'd get it to you, but I'll have a Magnetic Grey Metallic OEM front bumper that you could get repainted and a chrome rear once I get my CBI bumpers on next week. I'll make ya a deal.
I'm going to check out a couple of junkyards this week, but if I can't find anything I'll send you a pm.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #11

Sounds good for the front but the chrome rear has already been spoken for.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
If u have a black rear bumper and front .. Take them to a local shop and have them color matched & while ur their also take ur grille .. Compass issue try junk yards like stated or eBay
Good luck and post pics
Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Guys here are fighting for those plain Black bumpers...Especially the rear. You can def make a deal with the rear. As others mentioned, most folks switch out their front bumpers with ARB or All pro, you will def find one.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It's an inline 4, not a V-4.